Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

And I wore an apron from my daughter since I was making hors d'oeuvres for the get together:
IMG_1999.jpg

The best shot of all. :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Once again I was adventuring out with my stroller on, this time with different neckwear. I met also a man who eyed me from top to toe and back to top, then congratulated of the size of my wallet but I didn't understand what he meant until a while later. Maybe I was "dressed up like a million dollar trouper" and I didn't really notice it :D. Fun to think about it too since my outfit didn't even cost that much.

StrollerCafe_zpsaf368dd8.jpg

Bought also this double cravat pin and decided to use it for the rest of the day. Looks like the end of the other pin is showing!

StrollerAscotpins_zps90aabd22.jpg

A fascinating outfit! Very colourful and bright. I love the cravat!

There is an issue with the glasses, though. Trust me, I wear glasses too. It can be a pain in the ass, but sometimes, us of the Bespectacled Brethren are restricted in our eyewear but what's available in the modern market. Especially us folks (like me) who have to wear glasses all the time.

Pince Nez, a'la Poirot, as others have suggested is a good suggestion. Or you could try and track down a pair of traditional circle-frame glasses (Harold Lloyd style or similar). Alternatively, if one is really stuffed up and the other one is markedly better, perhaps buy an eye-socket monocle? I don't have one, but I do carry a brass-framed quizzing-glass around with me on a regular basis; it's handy for reading stuff like menus, price-tags, examining stuff, and generally getting a better look at the world.

I keep it on a nice, brass chain which I can hook onto my clothing so it doesn't go AWOL.

It's also great for glaring disdainfully at people whom you revile.

simonc

Practically Family
SAM_4323.jpg

My wife knitted me some shooting socks from a 1940s pattern.

We have a page winner! And bravo for owning a wife who still knits socks. One minor thought if I may, as smashing as the ensemble is, please take no offense at all, but consider avoiding the white shirt its for American businessmen and schoolboys. A country check would be the one.

nihil

One of the Regulars
A country check shirt would be too much, paired with both the Fair Isle sweater and the patterned tie, and the multiple colours of the other garments. The single colour of the shirt give the whole ensemble a good balance.
Regarding the white shirt as for schoolboys and American businessmen, I must humbly but strongly disagree. It's a good stable of any proper gentleman's wardrobe, and works with a variety of other pieces of clothing. The Duke of Windsor sported many white shirts, also with his less formal clothes. I must admit however, that I'm not too well versed in what goes with plus fours, and do not know if you comment was in relation to being worn with this garment in particular.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
White is maybe a little too stark considering the warm tones of the rest of the outfit. I would have thought a creamy white might have been ideal.

simonc

Practically Family
Cream or even light blue would do the trick, but not white :) an Englishman simply must contrast his shirt, tie and sock so dramatically it leaves others with the impression he dressed in the dark.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
White is maybe a little too stark considering the warm tones of the rest of the outfit. I would have thought a creamy white might have been ideal.

I heartily disagree with the "schoolboys and businessmen" comment, but I think you might be closer to the mark here, twotypes. Perhaps even a nice sky-blue oxford shirt with button down collar might go well with this ensemble; take a cue from nature, you know? It would make for a very interesting autumnal theme.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Nothing too fancy today, as I am in the middle of helping move my Grandmother from one apt. to another (I live with her to help her out, so in the meantime, I am staying with my mother... hence no boxes in the mirror photo!)

dscf0019.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Here is what I wore on Sunday, for the Feast of the Epiphany:

5C834D70-orig.jpg

I made a special effort as (i) I like the feast, (ii) I was reading and (iii) I wanted to give the trousers, waistcoat and tie their first wear!

Consists of:

Black morning jacket, Monmouthshire Co-Operative Society (1950s?);
Black/grey fine checked waistcoat with knitted back, made for a local department store (1960s?);
Dark striped morning trousers, with turnups, maker unknown (possibly 1960s again, given the narrow cuffs?);
Modern silver tie, bought from a local drapers; and
1930 J.W. Benson silver half-hunter with Edwardian chain.

Worn with white M&S double-cuffed shirt, silver-grey barathea braces, black & grey striped socks, black Alfred Sargent Oxfords, black 1950s Stetson 3x homburg.

Welcome views on the waistcoat and tie in particular!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot