Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I am not sure I would have worn a checked waistcoat with the striped trousers. That said, I have seen a 1960/1961 formal three piece suit with 'sponge bag' striped trousers and a checked waistcoat. I think it looked rather good in that context. So, yes it does have precedent - but not a combination I would personally wear.

Nevertheless, it looks like a rather nice waistcoat.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Thanks gents, I might have gone with a cream shirt if one were in my wardrobe, but such is not currently the case. I wouldn't have gone with a check with this outfit, but might have if I wasn't wearing that sweater vest and maybe a wool tie.

Effingham

A-List Customer
SAM_4323.jpg

My wife knitted me some shooting socks from a 1940s pattern.

Brilliant. That is amazing.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Here is what I wore on Sunday, for the Feast of the Epiphany:

5C834D70-orig.jpg

I made a special effort as (i) I like the feast, (ii) I was reading and (iii) I wanted to give the trousers, waistcoat and tie their first wear!

Consists of:

Black morning jacket, Monmouthshire Co-Operative Society (1950s?);
Black/grey fine checked waistcoat with knitted back, made for a local department store (1960s?);
Dark striped morning trousers, with turnups, maker unknown (possibly 1960s again, given the narrow cuffs?);
Modern silver tie, bought from a local drapers; and
1930 J.W. Benson silver half-hunter with Edwardian chain.

Worn with white M&S double-cuffed shirt, silver-grey barathea braces, black & grey striped socks, black Alfred Sargent Oxfords, black 1950s Stetson 3x homburg.

Welcome views on the waistcoat and tie in particular!

The colour coordination is perfect. As I understand it, it's best when mixing patterns that different patterns should be of the same scale, and the same patterns (ie. stripe with stripe) should be of differing scale. You appear to have nailed it here. The only possible criticism might be that the whole effect is overly monochrome perhaps. Maybe a red or steel blue tie might have been just the thing? Maybe not though.

Also, we aren't shown what shirt you wore! That would be a critical element in evaluating the ensemble. It could make or break it certainly.

Something occurs to me; is it really proper to wear turnups/cuffs with morning attire? I'm not sure on that.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Today's outfit:
Shirt by Luxire, waistcoat by Bookster, Beau Brummel tie:
shirt--tie.jpg

Trousers by Bookster, Shoes by Cheaney:
trousers.jpg

Cap by Johnny J,Dents gloves, Tootal scarf:
hat-scarf-gloves.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
TT, I do like that tie!

Thanks all for the comments on my outfit; since I dress semi-formally fairly often I wanted to try something slightly different, whilst still reflecting the traditional colour palette, hence the monochrome. Normal choice would be a grey or black waistcoat, or possibly buff if I was feeling more festal. I am afraid the shirt was just a boring white M&S one (although double-cuffed). A the jacket is suit length rather than being a tailcoat it is not strictly morning dress; if it was you would be quite correct that the trousers do not take turn-ups but as it is I am not aware of a rule either way and striped trousers with turn-ups are quite commonly found.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The colour coordination is perfect. As I understand it, it's best when mixing patterns that different patterns should be of the same scale, and the same patterns (ie. stripe with stripe) should be of differing scale. You appear to have nailed it here. The only possible criticism might be that the whole effect is overly monochrome perhaps. Maybe a red or steel blue tie might have been just the thing? Maybe not though.

Also, we aren't shown what shirt you wore! That would be a critical element in evaluating the ensemble. It could make or break it certainly.

Something occurs to me; is it really proper to wear turnups/cuffs with morning attire? I'm not sure on that.
I think the reason you do not see many trousers with cuffs at either a wedding or funeral is both places the people are attending in "rental tux".....but personally I think cuffs look great!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
TT, I do like that tie!

Thanks all for the comments on my outfit; since I dress semi-formally fairly often I wanted to try something slightly different, whilst still reflecting the traditional colour palette, hence the monochrome. Normal choice would be a grey or black waistcoat, or possibly buff if I was feeling more festal. I am afraid the shirt was just a boring white M&S one (although double-cuffed). A the jacket is suit length rather than being a tailcoat it is not strictly morning dress; if it was you would be quite correct that the trousers do not take turn-ups but as it is I am not aware of a rule either way and striped trousers with turn-ups are quite commonly found.

Ah yes, of course it's perfectly fine for striped trousers to have turn ups in general, but I think strictly speaking "morning dress" requires a straight hem. If you're not strictly going for morning dress, then anything goes!

Monte

A-List Customer
Damn sharp Frank. I got to wear my overcoat the other night at our local state museum fund raiser and I definitely felt well dressed. It's a Columbian cashmere coat tailored in Italy. I found it at Aid Inc. on the rack for $6 but the woman at the register reminded me that winter coats were half price....$3 ain't bad.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Damn sharp Frank. I got to wear my overcoat the other night at our local state museum fund raiser and I definitely felt well dressed. It's a Columbian cashmere coat tailored in Italy. I found it at Aid Inc. on the rack for $6 but the woman at the register reminded me that winter coats were half price....$3 ain't bad.

Thanks for the complement and yea, don't you love it when you score a really good vintage coat ( made better and heavier than a new coat ) for peanuts !

All the Best , Fashion Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy