Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Borsalino
Ralph Lauren workwear repro shirt
black slacks
brown suede shoes
pobeda pocketwatch in shirt pocket
IMG_2090.jpg

You are one of my clothing heroes, Dinerman.

About that shirt above-- Did you say you got it at a Ralph Lauren outlet? Was it just one of their regular outlet stores? I have never seen Double RL at any of them. Great find!

--G.R.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Mike in Seattle said:
As always, Dinerman, absolute perfection IMHO!
Thank you.
metropd said:
Very Cool Look!
Thanks!
Griemersma said:
You are one of my clothing heroes, Dinerman.

About that shirt above-- Did you say you got it at a Ralph Lauren outlet? Was it just one of their regular outlet stores? I have never seen Double RL at any of them. Great find!

--G.R.
Thanks also! Yeah- it was at a regular Ralph Lauren outlet in the back on the discount rack. I was pretty happy to find it, it's a really nice shirt.

Today I was wearing:
brown suede captoes
black jeans
brown belt
Brown vintage-style shirt (made by Bass shoes of all people- another outlet find)
Pobeda pocketwatch in shirt pocket
tweed 8 panel
Canadian Fisheries Ike Jacket.

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
My office attire yesterday: charcoal suit with black waistcoat, black derby, blue shirt, blue and black checkered pattern tie, silver post-and-chain cufflinks, silver collar bar and sleeve garters, black satin braces, black socks, black and white spectators, silver double Albert watch chain, pocket watch, and antique vesta holder (c. 1890s). The cigar is a La Flor Dominicana Premium Line box pressed torpedo.

DSC04034-CROP.jpg

DSC04037-CROP.jpg

DSC04044-CROP.jpg

DSC04043-CROP.jpg

DSC04033.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
What I wore yesterday to the FL-get-together in Copenhagen. My guess is late forties cause the skirt is kind of full but I'd love if someone could dated the dress.

So mustardcoloured dress, some thick black stockings and some black forties shoes.

photobuck.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Dashing1 said:
Slim--

LOVE that matches holder. What do you call such an item? Where did you find it? VERY COOL!:eusa_clap
Thank you very much. I'm quite pleased, as it is one of the items on my "must have" list that I spent months searching for. Well, more accurately I spent a lot of time looking for one that I could afford!

Back before practical portable lighters were common, people would carry strike-on-anything matches in small cases. The matches were called vestas and therefore the small containers were called vesta cases or vesta holders. Vestas were named for the Roman goddess of the hearth, and her sacred fire was protected at her temples by priestesses.

Victorian vesta cases were often the same basic size and proportions as modern match boxes (form follows function), and thus lent themselves to various fanciful shapes, the hard-bound book being a common one, although any shape was fair game: a half-moon, a lady's boot, exotic animals, or just an elaborately detailed box, most often with a hinged lid that would snap in place.

Another common item to be carried on the person was a sovereign holder, a spring loaded case that could hold a few coins of the realm, and sometimes the two would be combined into a single case to hold the most commonly used items without having a jumble of coins and match sticks in one's pocket.

My little "book" has a rough strip of ridges long one edge to use as a striking surface, and it opens in the back as well to expose a shallow section that was intended to hold stamps. Even after 120 years the spring that holds both "covers" in place still functions perfectly.

Dashing1

New in Town
Slim--

Thanks for the vesta case education. WOW! One's passion for an item definitely can take that item from interesting to astounding.

Appreciate the reply and info. Well done!

Miss.Monroe

New in Town
Mary said:
What I wore yesterday to the FL-get-together in Copenhagen. My guess is late forties cause the skirt is kind of full but I'd love if someone could dated the dress.

So mustardcoloured dress, some thick black stockings and some black forties shoes.

photobuck.jpg

I looooooooooooove that dress!:eek: :eusa_clap Where did you find it?:D
Sorry, but I have no idea what date is that dress.. Maybe '47-48[huh]

Bugsy

One Too Many
Slim Portly said:
Thank you very much. I'm quite pleased, as it is one of the items on my "must have" list that I spent months searching for. Well, more accurately I spent a lot of time looking for one that I could afford!

Back before practical portable lighters were common, people would carry strike-on-anything matches in small cases. The matches were called vestas and therefore the small containers were called vesta cases or vesta holders. Vestas were named for the Roman goddess of the hearth, and her sacred fire was protected at her temples by priestesses.

Victorian vesta cases were often the same basic size and proportions as modern match boxes (form follows function), and thus lent themselves to various fanciful shapes, the hard-bound book being a common one, although any shape was fair game: a half-moon, a lady's boot, exotic animals, or just an elaborately detailed box, most often with a hinged lid that would snap in place.

Another common item to be carried on the person was a crown holder, a spring loaded case that could hold a few coins of the realm, and sometimes the two would be combined into a single case to hold the most commonly used items without having a jumble of coins and match sticks in one's pocket.

My little "book" has a rough strip of ridges long one edge to use as a striking surface, and it opens in the back as well to expose a shallow section that was intended to hold stamps. Even after 120 years the spring that holds both "covers" in place still functions perfectly.

Slim, are you still able to find strike-anywhere matches?? They don't sell them in my area anymore.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Bugsy said:
Slim, are you still able to find strike-anywhere matches?? They don't sell them in my area anymore.
I purchased the ones in the picture at my local camping supply store. They can be purchased online and shipped, presumably only domestically as they are flammable. Here's a link:

clicky clicky clicky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy