Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

MarcusB

Familiar Face
MarcusB said:
DSCF1473.jpg

I personally think this is the best shirt from out of the two pics :), the square-like patterning on the shirt looks nice I think :), goes well with the tie too and it don't look plain :).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Pip said:
Aha thank you very much!

It's a good question really, but hatless was more than common for those of my background and age during the time. I'm a student and from studying the various photo archives of UK organisations, this does seem very prevalent during the period of my particular interest. Whilst hats were very common and exceedingly popular, it's an all too common misconception to think that absolutely everybody wore them all the time.

I do wear hats from time to time though, just when the mood and weather calls for it, for me anyway. Apologies if any of the above sounded a little snobbish, far from what I intend to sound like but the internet has a way of distorting the intended tone ;)

Makes sense to me, I notice that even in 1940s films not everyone wears a hat (such as the main character in Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious). Doesn't sound snobbish to me, but yes, the internet can be annoying; I have made mistakes which are a lot worse than getting the tone wrong, but I go :eek:fftopic: here so I will stop.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
For todays client meeting:
A2ogslips001.jpg

The ol' Irvin is in the closet for the next 6 month - out came my trusty A2.
PS I remembered to tighten my tie, before the meeting.;)

Great outfit!! You are one very stylish gent! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Red, white and blue .. and black!

First off, my apologies for my almost Rosanna Rosannadanna hair! The picture was taken before I smoothed it down!

RosannaDanna_l.jpg

White wide skirt with a double row of buttons
White and black striped cardigan
Blue satin peeptoe shoes
Red ribbon in hair (put in afterwards!)

DSCN0569.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Been quite a while since I posted in here.... lack of photos of me day to day, I guess (99% or so of my photos are taken at costume events lol ). Happened to take a couple of photos today trying to see how a new pair of frames just arrived look (I'm experimenting with a cheap pair of Chinese copies to see if they work for me before I spend the big bucks on Shurons!).

Ronsirstyleframes005.jpg

Ronsirstyleframes003.jpg

Ronsirstyleframes001.jpg

Hat is an Akubra Fed Deluxe Mk III, bashed a la You Know Who. The jacket is a recent eBay win, for 99p, plus some pence shipping. It's a grand fit on me, cut very much like a typical 50s gab Ricky, with shirt-style collar and button cuffs. Two exterior slash pockets, two interior chest pockets, one buttoned, the other zipped. It's a much later piece, really - I should think probably 1980s in manufacture, or 70s at the very earliest, given its polycotton shell, but it has the cut and the look of a 50s piece, and, well.... at that price....

The tie is vintage - 40s, I believe. Collar bar also vintage, also via eBay. Tie clip I believe to be a Stratton; it once belonged to my paternal grandfather, who died in June 1980. Trousers (unseen), again another very cheap eBay find. A wool/poly mix (which could easily be taken for all wool by look & feel), cut to a very 40s pattern with a distinctly high waist. Going by their cut, I should think they were produced as a deliberate 40s style, or perhaps for one of those 'old men' shops where they haven't changed the stock designs muh since then. lol Shoes are a pair of Barker wingtip corespondents, in mid brown and ivory.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
That is one amazing cardigan, Darhling.:whistling ;)

Thank you!!

After reading this, I keep going back to the pic, tilt my head from side to side and try to see the amazingness.. Will it come to me like one of those pictures with a hidden object in it, were you have to stare blankly at it for minutes? lol

Edward - GREAT pics and I love the frames too!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Dinner party dress, my new and very amazing dress (I love one shoulder dresses!!) that fits like a dream!

Stop Starin dress with blue flowers
Same blue satin peeptoes as earlier today.

DSCN0579.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR