Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

RBH

Bartender
anon` said:
Well if that wasn't total Picasa failure! Is this an ongoing issue? Because I see the picture when I view the thread while logged in...

8216_1102244210184_1649073068_30520.jpg

How's this?
Now that is sharp!!!!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I didn't mean to cause any dissent among the other people here. I was not intending to create any need for a response even. I am not sure if I confused what I meant or what... Anyway, I wanted simply to say that it is sad when we have to inquire as to what might be appropriate dress for what should be such simple situations (i.e. weddings, theatre, etc.) Purely an observation.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mrs. Merl said:
I didn't mean to cause any dissent among the other people here. ........Purely an observation.
I wholeheartedly concur with your observation and am a bit puzzled as to the response. [huh]

analiebe

A-List Customer
spectacular! miss hannah.... and what an amazingly striking face you have - just stunning! BRAVA!

MissHannah said:
This is actually a couple of weeks ago at the Lady Luck Club in London with Lyburnum (right) and Fleur De Guerre (centre). I'm on the left:

9527_524396625636_283500099_1229320.jpg

The shirt is emerald green cotton and the skirt is a navy and white weave pencil skirt. I'm also wearing a black felt half hat that you cant quite see. I think Fleur may be wearing a Swirl dress and Lyburnum was in a navy cotton 50's fit-and-flare dress with white piping and buttons.

Miss Christina

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
Here I am on the dance floor with my husband Chuck! My ensemble was made from vintage patterns. The 30s skirt is of a light yellow handkerchief linen with vintage buttons, and the blouse is a vintage navy dotted crisp organdy type fabric with the same linen used as trim. My navy pancake hat is vintage 1930s. My repro sunglasses with green lenses are from Allyn Scura. I also wore vintage ivory crocheted gloves, modern but vintage-inspired navy faux crocodile pumps. My dapper husband is wearing vintage wool plus fours and a vintage jacket, with modern shirt, tie, argyle socks and boater.
374086712.jpg

Here's our son Daniel and our daughter Sarah reading vintage magazines at our picnic setup. Young Master Daniel is wearing a vintage boater, white modern Nordstrom pinpoint spread collar shirt, vintage silk bow tie, modern Ralph Lauren linen and cotton Cricket sweater, vintage style 30-40s pattern trousers made of the same lt. yellow handkerchief linen as my skirt, with burgundy vintage sock garters, and modern striped socks. Miss Sarah is wearing a vintage 30s navy raffia hat with cream grosgrain ribbon cockcade trim, with her lovely vintage 30s print cotton dress with organdy trim, and modern white crocheted gloves.
374084744.jpg

We brought our friend Adele with us, this was her first vintage event ever, and she is officially hooked! She is wearing a vintage print 20s chiffon dress, with a vintage 20s slip I dyed golden yellow. I bought these originally to wear at the Gatsby but the 20s silhouette fit her far better so she bought the dress and slip from me. She borrowed the my vintage little red raffia 30s hat and modern ivory crocheted gloves.
374089134.jpg

Wow! your kids wear vintage? I don't see many teens wearing vintage. I love your daughters dress! how old is she? Do you have more pictures of her?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Miss Christina and welcome to the Lounge! Btw your avatar pic really fun...:) Our 13 yo son in particular really loves the vintage clothing, unfortunately there is not much in his size and age range. Our daughter is 15 and has in the last year or two had a number of opportunities to model vintage clothing from the civil war era to the 1950s so far at various Deco events. This vintage 1930s dress she wore to the ADSC Gatsby Summer Afternoon seen in the picture was one she modeled at the ADSC's "How to Gatsby" seminar. She has mostly 40s vintage clothing plus a few 20s and 30s vintage dresses as well, and one vintage Edwardian white tea gown. Our family are all social ballroom dancers and we are always looking for places to go dancing, hear period music and wear our vintage clothing. There is much in the Northern California area. I have lots of pics of us in our vintage garb on my picture trail albums.

Miss Christina said:
Wow! your kids wear vintage? I don't see many teens wearing vintage. I love your daughters dress! how old is she? Do you have more pictures of her?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Well said, Sir. Perhaps I am an old fuddy duddy too- so let's sit together on a park bench all dressed up for no particular reason other than we prefer to. Better yet, next year for the SF Opera's Opening Gala you tux out and I'll wear a full length evening gown with a vintage fur, okay? Oh, you can easily find me again this season at all the CA Pops Orchestra's Sunday afternoon concerts in Los Gatos, I'm the lady (overdressed) in an evening gown;)

Bugsy said:
I will disagree with you to a degree on one point. There are still standards and etiquette for dressing in certain situations. I think the main problem is that people do not observe them. There is no way that anyone is going to tell me that going to a wedding or funeral in a tee-shirt, shorts and flip-flops is appropriate. Yes, I was there. I'm know I'm being an old fuddy-duddy, but where is the sense of occasion? Last fall, I went to the opening performance of La Boheme at the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco. I was seated in the orchestra wearing a three piece suit. A man behind me was in shorts, a tank top, and sandals. I know this is Casual California, but there has to be a limit. I guess we are all charged with setting the example. I hope it does some good.

Slytherin

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
Well said, Sir. Perhaps I am an old fuddy duddy too- so let's sit together on a park bench all dressed up for no particular reason other than we prefer to. Better yet, next year for the SF Opera's Opening Gala you tux out and I'll wear a full length evening gown with a vintage fur, okay? Oh, you can easily find me again this season at all the CA Pops Orchestra's Sunday afternoon concerts in Los Gatos, I'm the lady (overdressed) in an evening gown;)
I'm 35 and i feel an old fuddy duddy too. Each time i go out like today with the dog to the vetrinary i'm overderessed. Wedge 40s shoes, victory roll, vintage make up, lacy slip under a vintage dress, suspender corselette. And nevertheless i choose one of my " all days " dress. I'm illustrator and a book will upcoming in France. For the promo and signatures i planned to wear lace classy dress, long 30s vintage dress or still a long black dress, with long gloves, veil hat, seamed stockings. I was 16 when i bought my first 50s shoes. 20 years after i'm still in vintage. It's my way to be a nice girl. I'm fascinated by golden era. But never i will try to change my man for example who is an old punk wearing camo trousers and skully tees. I never judge people on clothing and i think parents give often what to wear education to kids but not in the same way. Look, my mother think it's strange to, for use her words, wear like her granny. But i think it's the freedom to choose YOUR good style. i found mine, my boyfriend has his one. So If i met a men in tee, hawaiian short, flip flop at the opera i will be not chocked. It's life now.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
worn last Sunday 9/20 to church and then to the Brune-Reutlinger Victorian Mansion in San Francisco for a wonderful Ragtime salon concert in the afternoon with The Crown Syncopators! Its an older picture, and my hair has grown out much since this was taken. Ralph Lauren skirt and top, Arianne camisole, my vintage pumps. Had my hair put up with vintage combs and also wore my Miriam Haskell pearl cuff (not shown here).
359852133.jpg
After this concert I am now hooked on Ragtime music! Here they are in a video taken where they regularly play in SF, this was one of the songs they performed at Sunday's concert, called "Trilby Rag" :
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ot5UuZrGwA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ot5UuZrGwA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy