Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Exercise Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Darhling said:
so what do you all listen to when you exercise? I have my iPod with me, normally it is pretty bad music in the free weights room.. tell me your favorite playlist!

Since I need something that gives me energy, I need something loud and with attitude :)

I usually listen to the birds, crickets, and other sounds of nature. The last 3 miles I am listening to cars passing me at 60mph, though :rolleyes:

MissS

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
so what do you all listen to when you exercise? I have my iPod with me, normally it is pretty bad music in the free weights room.. tell me your favorite playlist!

Since I need something that gives me energy, I need something loud and with attitude :)

Anything that goes boom boom, doof doof!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MissS said:
Anything that goes boom boom, doof doof!

I sometimes want to mess with the grotto-guys and put on Donna Summer 'Bad girl' or something by Jessica Simpson.. just to mess a little with them. They are absolute sweethearts of course and have been much kind to spot me and help me but they have an awful taste in music (well, in my oponion anyway)

pgoat

One Too Many
MissS said:
I do try to take it easy, but when you're down there, it's hard to resist upping the weight, just cause you can!
yeah - plus doing lotsa reps with light weights is pretty boring....I try to do it while in front of the tele.....but I know what you mean bout the gym - brings out the public overachiever in all of us, I guess!:D

pgoat

One Too Many
Darhling said:

there was an interesting article I saw last year about matching beats per minute of your music to match your target heart rate....I've never tried that yet but I did get a HR monitor a few years ago and it is a great training aid - well worth the $100 or so. It'd be interesting to try syncing your ipod soundtrack to match your target zone....probably would make for a fantastic workout.

I go with pretty much anything I've just listened to recently, which is still stuck in my head whilst riding my bike (NEVER ride on the streets with headphones, people!!)...last few days it was Louis Armstrong's Hot Five. I Like faster dancy stuff for running/cycling and slower/harder punk/funk for weights.

pgoat said:
but I know what you mean bout the gym - brings out the public overachiever in all of us, I guess!:D
It's that whole "competitive" thing--which is why I usually do things solo, so that given my own dangerously hypercompetitive nature (in spite of my laid-back "default", once I switch over to "competition mode" it's very intense, even ruthless) I don't allow myself to be pushed into a situation that could cause problems later.

Besides, who doesn't like to show off a little every now and then?lol

pgoat

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
It's that whole "competitive" thing--which is why I usually do things solo, so that given my own dangerously hypercompetitive nature (in spite of my laid-back "default", once I switch over to "competition mode" it's very intense, even ruthless) I don't allow myself to be pushed into a situation that could cause problems later.

Besides, who doesn't like to show off a little every now and then?lol
exactly

I know what you mean...I always had issues with team sports....too much pressure. If my contributions came up short I always hated letting the other guys down, and some guys can be downright jerks about losing a freakin' weekend pickup softball game or whatever. I must admit I choke under that sort of pressure (I think my batting average is like .750 leading off - and .000 with men on base:eek: ).

That's why I loved running races - you only have yourself to let down, and compete against. It's great to see those PR times decrease, rewarding you for all those training runs.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
I ride the wild recumbent exercise bike three time a week followed by some dumbell lifting. Exercise is boring. If I didn't have a TV to watch while I pedal the hour away I'd be 300lbs by now.
But.....I have a theory. It is generally accepted in the weight training circles that the bodybuilders like Arnold get up to 50% of their gains by having the right attutude. If they think they are growing and getting more muscular, they make far better gains than someone who doesn't think positive. So, why not cut out the middle man ? Why can't I sit on my recliner and think that I am running a few miles to get in shape ? I'll start out slow and think about running a mile every other day. Then work up to thinking about running 5k's, then 10k's. With the right attitude I can get up to 50% of the gains without ever leaving the house. Get in shape and catch up on the old episodes of McGuiver at the same time ! lol

pgoat

One Too Many
I think Arnold used the scale, photos and video to provide feedback on the gains.....still, if u can get over that hump, your program might work for you.:p

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I've done quite a few things, but the most effective and time efficient so far seems to be a heavy bag workout. That's kind of a fancy term for beating on a big ol' sack, but I definitely feel the effect, pretty much everywhere, especially when mixing in footwork. Of course, you have to be careful, protect your hands and figure out how to do it, so you don't hurt yourself, but it seems to be working well for me.

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm another who likes the individuality of running. My friend, a former competitive runner, had a huge laugh with me over her son's reaction when he heard of my entry in the City to Surf that attracts a field of 20,000 +: "Wow...do you think Mojito could win it?" She had to explain the concept of PBs and competing against yourself.

I try to have a variety of songs in my MP3 to use for different workouts. Some of them that have radical shifts in tempo are rather good for speed play. "I am Chewbacca" is one of these - start out with a jog on the verses ("The people here ignore me/the call me scrawny Dan"), then sprint the chorus ("I am CHEWBACCA!/ I am a WOOKIE!/ I fight the EMPIRE!/ I fix the ROBOTS!"), although I'm sure people must wonder why I'm grinning from ear to ear.

I try to run without it as well. If I'm not 100% comfortable I'll turn it off and take out the earpieces so any potential attackers can see I'm not listening to it. I also do it for discipline - I don't want to be dependent on the music.

pgoat

One Too Many
Mojito said:
I try to have a variety of songs in my MP3 to use for different workouts. Some of them that have radical shifts in tempo are rather good for speed play. "I am Chewbacca" is one of these - start out with a jog on the verses ("The people here ignore me/the call me scrawny Dan"), then sprint the chorus ("I am CHEWBACCA!/ I am a WOOKIE!/ I fight the EMPIRE!/ I fix the ROBOTS!"), although I'm sure people must wonder why I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Ah, yes - the 'fartlek' mix:D i love the look on people's faces the first time they hear that term....

I try to run without it as well. If I'm not 100% comfortable I'll turn it off and take out the earpieces so any potential attackers can see I'm not listening to it. I also do it for discipline - I don't want to be dependent on the music.

Also - not to be a nervous nellie and rain on anyone's fitness parade....but especially for you ladies, if you are running/walking alone out there, please be careful about the headphones thing...a little too easy for someone to sneak up on you from behind, not to mention the occasional bad driver running you down. I am the last person to wanna scream that sky is falling down, but you have to be careful.

If you must have music, please keep it low enough so you can be aware of your surroundings, and if you need it louder, maybe try running with your dog?

Good points, pgoat--I'd just add doing a little "casing" of possible routes yourself, either driving down 'em or walking with one or more trusted friends--safety in numbers, y'know?--getting a feel for the "lay of the land", identifying possible trouble-spots to avoid and getting to know the area so that you'll more likely notice if something's not quite right.

Also, a readily-accessible--like not purse but pocket or clipped to belt-loop--can of 10%OC pepper spray, I suggest Fox Labs or Sabre Red myself* is a good friend to have just in case "prevention" isn't enough.
*No, I don't get a kickback, just that these two brands seem to be as reliable as chemical sprays get--which is why I prefer Tasers and "heavier" myself...:eek:lol

Mojito

One Too Many
Sadly, yes - you're both right. I was assaulted in a public place, in daylight, it a wide open area beside the Harbour, with plenty of other walkers and runners around. I had my earphones on. I suspect it might still have happened even if I hadn't had them on - the bloke who grabbed me was on a bike, of all things, and came up behind me (I found out through the running boards that another woman was attacked as well by the same bloke. We both reported the incidents to the police). With so much activity going on around me, I didn't know what he was going to do until too late. The fact I had my earphones in, however, and his probably correct assumption that I had reduced situational awareness may have contributed to why he targeted me instead of one of the many other women runners and walkers (that, and the fact I was doing A- B- A format intervals along the same stretch of track and had stopped for a recovery, meaning I was vulnerable).

I've always trusted every instinct when it comes to running and safety - if I've got the slightest twinge of unease, I'll listen to it. I won't go down a well-lit street if it feels wrong, and I'll even cross the road if I don't like the look of a clump of bushes close to the sidewalk or a parked car that provides a place for someone to hide. I don't set up routine routes at specific times and places. After the incident above, our fantastic security manager insisted I always take the personal alarm he gave me with me when I ran, and my mobile. There's a great little shoulder harness you can buy that can take a phone, a bit of money and the alarm without interfering in your running. It's also reflective, which helps.

Funny, though - you never know when it will happen. I ran for a couple of years in London, in the winter after work in the dark, in North London (and earlier in the East End along the canals, but only in daylight). I never encountered anything worse than comments yelled out of cars, something all runners and cyclists encounter. When something bad finally did happen, it was at a time and place when I felt completely safe!

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Hmmm

I like my curls done at between 8 and 10 oz. at a time. In this situation I try for as many reps as possible until the supply is exhausted.

Listening to my local country music station suffices nicely.

Regards.

C79

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Mojito said:
Hi SlyGI -

It depends on what you're training for but yes...if you're doing higher intensity intervals in your training, decrease the overall mileage that day and build recoveries in. I'd be careful about introducing dedicated speedwork sessions in unless your base mileage is up to it...you may need to consult a coach. You may just want to increase your speed for short bursts on some of your runs.

There are so many types of interval to choose from it's hard to begin. One I like consists of doing 1600 metres, 1200 metres, 800 metres, 400 metres with 2 minute walking or slow jog recoveries in between. Another would be the a sort of A-B-A...start at point A and for a set period or time (say one or two minutes). Have a standing recover (1 - 2 minutes), then try to run back for the same time and overshoot A.

It depends on what you're training for. If you're aiming for, say, a 5 or 10 kms race I'd look into specific training programs. Otherwise, I'd play with speed. Run for a shorter period of time, but pick your pace up. It doesn't need to be regulated - "Fartleks" (or "speedplay") are a fun way of doing speedwork. Pick random distances - the next lightpole, the tree down the street, whatever - and run that distance and a faster pace that you can maintain for the distance. Then jog or even walk a recovery. If you're on a track, you can sprint the straits and use the curves as a recovery. It can be fun with a group of people as well - there are lots of group workouts. One is to run for a set period of time - the pack will thin out. Then, when the agreed time is hit, everyone turns to race back to the start point. The slower people will now be in front - their challenge is to keep their lead. The faster people will now be at the back, so they have to overtake the others.

Always warm up, btw, before doing a dedicated speed session. I follow Pat Carroll's method - 10 minutes slow jog, followed by light stretches and then do 6 sprints of 80 metres, starting at about 60 percent of maximum effort and then working up to near 100 %. Then I finish up the session with a 10 minute cool down jog. And allow yourself recovery time after a hard speedwork or hill session - don't schedule hard workouts on successive days. One session a week should be enough. And speedwork doesn't mean running flatout sprints - different sessions will call for different levels of effort. It's hard to cover it comprehensively in a post and I'm frankly not advanced enough to give you coaching advice ...have a look at sites like http://www.coolrunning.com/ and http://www.runnersworld.com/ for tips.

MissS, where in Sydney are you training? I below to FitnessFirst (although it's not ideal in every way) because they have so many gyms and I tend to pingpong around different locations...it's handy that they have so many gyms in town, one locally where I live, and one near my best mate's place! I can't be ladylike during a workout either, I'm afraid...I get a bit intense in my workout classes (Body Attack!), and when it comes to "glowing"...well, the word doesn't really cover the state I wind up in. I look like I've had a bucket of water dumped over my head. And then there's the bloodshot eye and flushed cheek thing going on. And the tried and true but oh-so-un-pretty workout gear.

Hi Mojito,

Wow, what a ton of awesome advice! I just read your post. I'm going to print it out, re-read it, then change my work out to try to accommodate a speed session or a "Fartleks." I'll let you know what I come up with and post it here. I thinking I don't want to run the same day I do legs, plus, maybe I shouldn't run the day after my leg workout because I want to make sure I get them to recover.

Oh, thanks for the links too!!!!

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks, SlyGI - I'm very happy to have been of any assistance! I stress, though, that I'm not setting myself up as an expert...what I wrote was what mainly has worked for me.

It does seem to work, though. My running regime has been stymied through much of this year - I lost the entire month of January due to a calf injury that kept me limited to the cross trainer as my exclusive cardio, and haven't been about to do much more than a maintenance 3 x 5km a week (if that!) since because of other committments, just getting in my weights and aerobics classes. But the past week I've focussed on starting my winter training for the spring races, and getting in an interval and hill run the past week seem to have really helped, along with a couple of high intensity cardio classes for general cardio fitness. My long run today was only 13 kms, but that's the longest I've done in a while (other than the odd 10km run, I've been very limited), and it was absolutely brilliant from the get-go - I felt very strong, even through the 1km climb at the end. I put it down to the intervals I've done in my maintenance runs.

pgoat

One Too Many
Thanks for sharing your incident Mojito - I'm so sorry that happened and appreciate your sharing it for others' benefit. Glad you were okay.

Stuff happens - you can only take so many precautionary measures and be so vigilant. But I do see a lot of novice runners out there with the overblown personal stereo thing - fine in your home, but be careful out on the roads.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am sorry for what happened Mojito - thanks for sharing the tips to keep us all safer.

My gym is open 24 hours a day, but there is only a receptionist from 4 to 7 in the afternoon/evening, so there is a special ladies room where only the women can get into (it requires you to run your card through a reader and to open with your fingerprint) so we can train in there safely. The downside is, that there is hardly any free weights there only dumbells from 1 to 10 kg, so I train with the 'muscle guys' in the basement where all the bigger free weights are, luckily they have allways been very nice to me and almost every time someone will help spot me and so on. I actually think I would be more at risk in the training room with all the machines that are in ground level, because people from outside can look in and see who is there. There is also video surveillance and you can't even get into the gym without your card and scanning your fingerprint for almost every door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80