Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favorite quotes about hats?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Haitians (who love proverbs of all kinds) have a curious Kreyol saying involving hats.

Depi tet poko koupe nou espere mete chapo.

Roughly: As long as one's head is not cut off we hope to wear a hat.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
From the 1987 Dragnet remake with Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks:

[Friday and Streebeck's squad car has just been blown up]
Joe Friday: My hat was in that car.
Pep Streebeck: Yeah, well I can tell you just who re-blocked it for you.

T Rick

Practically Family
From Smokey and the Bandit:

Carrie (Sally Field) "Don't you ever take off that stupid hat?"
Bandit (Burt Reynolds) "I take my hat off for one thing, one thing only."
Carrie (Sally Field) "Oh...
Take off your hat.
I mean, If you want to..."
Bandit (Burt Reynolds) "I want to."

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and the crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyranny, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence towards people, take your hat off to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your soul, and your flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body… You shall go directly to the creation. Your trust shall master the trust of everything you touch… and shall master all attachment."

"—conformity goes to the
fourth-removed,
I cock my hat as I please, indoors or out."

~ Walt Whitman

Last edited:

thenar

New in Town
“It's a small apartment, I've barely enough room to lay my hat and a few friends.”
Dorothy Parker
“That boy is all hat, no cattle”
Old Texas Saying
"Fedoras are about style...put it on in front of the mirror. Give it a proper cock. Then walk away feeling it in your soul."

thenar

New in Town
"Never take your cowboy hat to Europe. You will be subjected to an endless volley of ersatz gun fights in restaurants, on the street and even on the buss. That, and many small children will bash your knee with their cap pistols."

"...Mayer* thereupon gave it to a cutter, a man earning thirty dollars a week, a man who had never read the book nor the script, and on whose mind was nothing but a hat."
- Erich von Stroheim** on the butchering by the studio of his masterpiece Greed

greed+erich.png

*Louis B. Mayer
**Trivia: von Stroheim was the son of an Austrian-Jewish hat maker.

Last edited:

Denton

One of the Regulars
hilarious passage from an old book

Samuel Butler, "Character of a Small Poet" (1669):

There was one, that lined a Hat-Case with a Paper of Benlowes's Poetry -- Prynne bought it by Chance, and put a new Demi-Castor into it. The first Time he wore it, he felt only a singing in his Head, which within two Days turned to a Vertigo -- He was let blood by one of the State-Physicians, and recovered; but before he went abroad, he writ a poem of Rocks and Seas, in a Stile so proper and natural, it was hard to determine which was ruggeder.

I love this. Benlowes's poetry is so terrible that if you line a hatbox with pages from his book, then wear the hat, it will make your head hurt. Then it will cause you to write terrible poetry.

Dryden's poem "MacFlecknoe" has a list of all the things that can happen to poems that no one wants to read -- used to line hatboxes, pie tins, used as wallpaper, toilet paper, etc. Butler takes this conceit much further: Benlowes's poetry continues to work its magic even when no one reads it!

"Demi-Castor" means, I guess, a hat made with a mixture of beaver and some other fur.

DesertDan

One Too Many
"Foriegn policy is just domestic policy with it's hat on." - Hubert Humphrey
"Cock your hat, angles are attitudes." - Frank Sinatra
"I'll beat him so bad he'll need a shoehorn to put his hat on." - Muhammad Ali

Flicka

One Too Many
"You'll find that I mean business!"
"Really? Then why are you wearing that hat?"

Exchange between Lady Beekman & Dorothy Shaw in the film "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch