Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Favorite VINTAGE Song Lyrics?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,254
Location
Northern Nevada
I can't even tell you how many times I've been singing Paper Moon absent-mindedly ... afterwards having to explain what muslin is and how I didn't say Muslim. [huh]

I love those lyrics though. When I'm in a more somber mood however, I start thinking about September In The Rain.
 

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Messages
32,872
Location
Where The Tourists Meet The Sea
You're deep just like a chasm
You've no enthusiasm
You're tired and uninspired
You're blase.

Your day is one of leisure
In which you search for pleasure
You're bored
When you're adored
You're blase.

When reaching for the moon
Or the stars up in the sky
The little things of normal life
Are slowly passing by

You sleep, the sun is shining
You wake, it's time for dining
There's nothing new for you to do
You're blase.

-- Ord Hamilton and Bruce Siever, 1931.

Favorite recording -- Gus Arnheim and his Cocoanut Grove Orchestra, vocal by Meri Bell, Victor 24054, recorded 7/1/32.
 

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Messages
1,164
Location
Brooklyn, New York
Great big houses with great big rooms
were not fashion for brides and grooms
A little place, is where we should be

Great big troubles, and great big cares
Come from houses with marble stairs
A little place, for you and for me

"The Little Things in Life" by Irving Berlin is one song that's stuck in my head. Some others being:

The Charleston
Clink Clink Another Drink
Little Bo Peep Lost her Jeep
When the red, red, robin comes bob, bob bobbing along
The Lambeth Walk
 

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Messages
4,682
Location
North Central Florida
LizzieMaine said:
You're deep just like a chasm
You've no enthusiasm
You're tired and uninspired
You're blase.

Your day is one of leisure
In which you search for pleasure
You're bored
When you're adored
You're blase.

When reaching for the moon
Or the stars up in the sky
The little things of normal life
Are slowly passing by

You sleep, the sun is shining
You wake, it's time for dining
There's nothing new for you to do
You're blase.

-- Ord Hamilton and Bruce Siever, 1931.

Favorite recording -- Gus Arnheim and his Cocoanut Grove Orchestra, vocal by Meri Bell, Victor 24054, recorded 7/1/32.

:eek: Oh my God; that's ME. :eek:
 

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Messages
76
Location
Denver, CO
One that I've always liked is "Love Is Like A Cigarette" By Duke Ellington and sung by Ivie Anderson.

Love is like a cigarette
You know you held my heart aglow
Between your finger tips
And just like a cigarette
I never knew the thrill of life until I touched your lips
Then just like a cigarette
Love seemed to fade away and leave behind ashes of regret
Then with a flip of your fingertip
It was easy for you to forget
Oh! Love is like a cigarette
 

SayCici

Practically Family
Messages
813
Location
Virginia
Chi-na-town, my Chi-na-town
Where the lights are low,
Hearts that know no oth-er land,
Drift-ing to and fro.
Dream-y dream-y Chinatown,
Al-mond eyes of brown,
Hearts seem light and lights are bright,
In dream-y Chi-na-town
 
Messages
11,579
Location
Covina, Califonia 91722
SayCici said:
Chi-na-town, my Chi-na-town
Where the lights are low,
Hearts that know no oth-er land,
Drift-ing to and fro.
Dream-y dream-y Chinatown,
Al-mond eyes of brown,
Hearts seem light and lights are bright,
In dream-y Chi-na-town


Louis Prima does a great version of this one!
 

cco23i

A-List Customer
Messages
472
Location
Phoenix
"Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile", yup just about covers it!;) Of course by Bing Crosby!:eusa_clap

Scott
 

Anthony K

Familiar Face
Messages
62
Location
Colorado Springs, CO
One of my favoites. This song always puts me in a good mood.

Nat King Cole "On The Streets Where You Live"


I have often walked
Down the street before,
But the pavement always
Stayed beneath my feet before.
All at once am i
Several stories high,
Knowing Im on the street where you live.

Are there lilac trees
In the heart of town?
Can you hear a lark in any other part of town?
Does enchantment pour
Out of every door?
No, its just on the street where you live.

And oh, the towering feeling
Just to know somehow you are near
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear.

People stop and stare
They dont bother me,
For theres no where else on earth
That I would rather be.

Let the time go by,
I wont care if i
Can be here on the street where you live.

~interlude~

People stop and stare
They dont bother me,
For theres no where else on earth
That I would rather be.

Let the time go by
I wont care if i
Can be here on the street where you live,

Let me be on the street where you live.
 

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Messages
187
Location
tennessee
I Enjoy Being a Girl~ From Flower Drum Song

I'm a girl, and by me that's only great!
I am proud that my silhouette is curvy,
That I walk with a sweet and girlish gait
With my hips kind of swivelly and swervy.

I adore being dressed in something frilly
When my date comes to get me at my place.
Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy,
Like a filly who is ready for the race!

When I have a brand new hairdo
With my eyelashes all in curl,
I float as the clouds on air do,
I enjoy being a girl!

When men say I'm cute and funny
And my teeth aren't teeth, but pearl,
I just lap it up like honey
I enjoy being a girl!

I flip when a fellow sends me flowers,
I drool over dresses made of lace,
I talk on the telephone for hours
With a pound and a half of cream upon my face!

I'm strictly a female female
And my future I hope will be
In the home of a brave and free male
Who'll enjoy being a guy having a girl... like... me.

When men say I'm sweet as candy
As around in a dance we whirl,
It goes to my head like brandy,
I enjoy being a girl!

When someone with eyes that smoulder
Says he loves ev'ry silken curl
That falls on my iv'ry shoulder,
I enjoy being a girl!

When I hear the compliment'ry whistle
That greets my bikini by the sea,
I turn and I glower and I bristle,
But I happy to know the whistle's meant for me!

I'm strictly a female female
And my future I hope will be
In the home of a brave and free male
Who'll enjoy being a guy having a girl... like... me.


 

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Messages
133
Location
Dubai, UAE...for a little while.
More Cole Porter

Since I left on a 7 month deployment I keep thinking about "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye".

Ev'ry time we say goodbye
I die a little
Ev'ry time we say goodbye
I wonder why a little

Why the Gods above me
Who must be in the know
Think so little of me
They allow you to go

When you're near there's such an air
Of Spring about it
I can hear a Lark somewhere
Begin to sing about it

There's no love song finer
But, how strange the change
From major to minor
Ev'ry time we say goodbye
 

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,221
Location
New York City
TraderRic said:
Since I left on a 7 month deployment I keep thinking about "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye".

Ev'ry time we say goodbye
I die a little
Ev'ry time we say goodbye
I wonder why a little

Why the Gods above me
Who must be in the know
Think so little of me
They allow you to go

When you're near there's such an air
Of Spring about it
I can hear a Lark somewhere
Begin to sing about it

There's no love song finer
But, how strange the change
From major to minor
Ev'ry time we say goodbye

Ric, if you haven't already, check out Jeri Southern's recording of that song. It's beautiful and heartbreaking.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
106,760
Messages
3,021,045
Members
52,326
Latest member
jaredc911
Top