Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favourite recipes?

HepKitty

One Too Many

ooh thanks! love your photo you look perfect!

for Miss Sofia, as promised. I threw this hot crab dip together a couple days ago, sorry about the lack of measurements

Hot Crab Dip

8 oz Neufchatel cheese
sour cream (I used fat free and it was excellent, I promise! really I wouldn't kid you!)
dried basil. a lot of dried basil
sea salt (not much as the cheese will add to the salt content)
pepper from the grinder
one 6-oz can of crab, drained well and checked for shell
grated white cheddar
grated parmesan (please buy a wedge and grate it yourself. thank you :) )

mix and put into a glass baking dish. sprinkle with smoked paprika and more grated parm, bake at 350F until bubbly

Peeter

New in Town
What about a Itallian Pizza made with either spelt or kamut flour? I don't consume white flour, so am always looking for recipes with other grain flours.

HepKitty

One Too Many
spelt flour can be used in place of bread flour for yeast doughs no problem. Kamut is a bit different. years ago at the bakery one of the bakers and I did an experiment with an all-kamut bread and it fell apart. it wasn't strong enough on its own to hold up. for something thin like pizza crust it might work. it's worth a try anyway. may have to add some spelt (or bread flour, for those who can have wheat) to help with the structure

found a good link for some beautiful holiday cakes

http://www.myrecipes.com/holidays-a.../best-christmas-cakes-00420000007150/all.html

and cookies

http://www.myrecipes.com/holidays-a...0000001931689/?iid=edit-cc-121211&promkey=xet

HepKitty

One Too Many
these are fun, haven't made them in a while

Sugar Crusted Meltaways

1/4 cup sugar
Dash salt
3/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup orange juice
Additional sugar

Mix sugar, salt, butter, water and vanilla; beat well. Add flour, chocolate chips and nuts and mix well. Shape into 1" balls and place on cookie sheets. Bake 325 degrees 15-20 minutes or until set. Cookies should not brown much. Cool completely. Dip cooled cookies in orange juice and roll in sugar. Let dry so the juice and sugar form a crisp shell.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Eggnog Cookies

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 egg
1/4 cup eggnog
1/2 cup finely crushed butterscotch candies
1 recipe eggnog glaze (follows)
additional nutmeg

Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until the pieces are the size of peas. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl beat together the egg and eggnog until well mixed. Pour the eggnog mixture into the well and stir until moistened. Cover the dough and chill for at least 3 hours. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease. Roll out the dough on a well floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Using cookie cutters in two sizes, cut out cookies. Cut out cookies with the large cutter first, and then cut out centers with the smaller cutter. Reroll the dough and continue to cut. Place the cookies on the foil lined cookie sheet about 1 inch apart from each other. Sprinkle the crushed candies into the center of the cookies. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are firm and lightly golden brown. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer the foil with the cookies attached to a baking rack. Once the cookies are cooled, carefully remove the foil from the bottoms of the cookies. Spread the tops with eggnog glaze and sprinkle with additional crushed candy and/or nutmeg if desired.

Eggnog Glaze

Mix 3 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, and 2 tablespoons eggnog.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Khachapuri (Georgian cheese tart. not American Georgia of course :D )

from Gail Duff's Bread: 150 Traditional Recipes from around the World

dough:

2 tsp dried yeast

½ c + 2 tbsp warm milk

2 cups a/p flour

1 tsp salt

¼ c butter, melted

In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the milk and leave 10-15 minutes. Place flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the center, and pour in the yeast mixture. Add butter and mix into dough, knead until smooth. Return dough to bowl, let rise until double.

Filling:

1 pound Munster or Edam cheese, grated

2 tbsp butter

1 egg, beaten

2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Mix all.

Preheat oven to 350F. knead the dough again and roll it into a large round, about 20” in diameter. Lay it over a floured 8” tart pan and place cheese mixture in the center. Gather the sides of the dough to the center, pleating and twisting to seal the center and make a crown. Let rise 20 minutes. Bake 35-40 minutes.

Tonight I threw some fresh rosemary into the dough. for the filling I omitted the butter (not necessary, especially because I used parm and white cheddar), and added some pepper from the grinder. oh, and obviously the nice twisty part doesn't turn out so pretty when I try to copy the picture in the book. oh well

dnjan

One Too Many
Marinade for pork loin?

For Easter I like to slow-cook/smoke a pork loin on the grill.
My typical marinade is about a cup of barbecue sauce, diluted with whatever cheap beer a guest brought over (and then proceded to drink my good beer!).
It works well - the barbecue sauce plus the smokiness of the grill, plus the slow cooking (usually about 3 hours).

My problem is that my wife has requested mushroom gravy for the pork. I really don't think that the mushroom gravy will go well with a barbecue-sauce based marinade.

So, suggestions for a marinade to use this year? (the mushroom gravy is a non-negotiable item)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112