Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What car to go with your flight jackets?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm posting this because I can't buy anymore jackets until November and I'm bored (mods may decide to move or delete, I understand).

What car do you think a fighter pilot should drive? Not what they actually drive, coz we know they mostly drive normal cars like normal people. But in my reading about pilots in the Vietnam era, some drove MGB's, some drove Porsches or Fiat sports cars, Alfa Spyders, Robin Olds had an MG, a Jaguar and a Mini Cooper, and Apollo astronauts got free Corvettes. That's all good image stuff. And let's not forget that the world's most 'popular' fighter pilot, Maverick, rides hyper sports bikes.
So what do you feel a fighter polit 'should' drive, coz back in the day there were some good choices even if they all do drive station wagons these days (unlike Ethan Hawke's Good Kill '67 Firebird).
Getting into my wife's Nissan 4x4 is an anticlimax in a high end repro.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
2B624453-8697-4CE7-9301-483C863217A4.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What car do you think a fighter pilot should drive?
You rarely see a WW2 movie without seeing an RAF pilot in a ubiquitous MG. Recently I saw a program about the MG T series, I was amazed at how many US servicemen had bought a little MG and had it shipped home, there was even a 90 year old veteran still driving his right hand drive car in the crowded streets of LA.
As a teenager, i really loved the MGTC but in my ignorance of the model, as in MG TA, TB, TC, I thought that the TC meant twin carbs, or twin cam. Most people do associate MG with small sports cars, but if you have a moment just google, "Images of MG VA, WA, & SA. Those three pre-war models were meant to give Jaguar and Daimler a run for their money. One of the VA's is in the following pictures. There's also a painting depicting Douglas Bader, the RAF pilot who, despite loosing both legs before the war, flew his fighter plane wearing prosthetic legs.
mgva.jpg mgva1.jpg mgva2.jpeg mgva3.jpg mgva4.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
All MG convertibles make me think of dashing RAF pilots (or Austin Powers style 'fashion' photographers). Great cars. No aircon is the only reason I could never buy one.

The Fiat is a great little car! Inside is very stylish too.

I saw a 2005(?) red mustang with white bonnet stripes, power bulge, side exhausts, like a Shelby repro for sale today for a couple of grand, and for a moment I was deeply tempted.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
My only flight jacket is my A2 and if I could have any car, it would be a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner... not sure if that fits, but that's what I would wear the jacket with. I'd also like a 1956 Bel Air.

Attachments

• plymouth-road-runner-coupe-1968-orange.jpg
    plymouth-road-runner-coupe-1968-orange.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 306

GHT

I'll Lock Up
All MG convertibles make me think of dashing RAF pilots (or Austin Powers style 'fashion' photographers). Great cars. No aircon is the only reason I could never buy one.
Of course they have aircon, here's a picture of my MG, the two knobs on either side operate the wipers, the aircon is the handle in the centre, you crank it clockwise and the windscreen opens, the wind is so strong you have to nail your hat on.
MG Y dashboard.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ