Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What characteristics make up a "Zoot Hat"

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I have read the term "Zoot Hat" while browsing hats on eBay and am curious if there are must have characteristics for a hat to be considered a "Zoot Hat" ? When I think of a "Zoot Hat" I think of a wide brimmed fedora that has a trimmed brim and band in contrasting color to the hat. Any other characteristics or colors typically associated to this hat style? Does anybody own and wear a "Zoot Hat"? Thanks.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I think it also had a low crown relative to the size of the brim. Also, the brim was often straight. I'm thinking of the way they dressed the wolf in the old Warner Brothers cartoons.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Pretty much what everyone has said here; it's basically an exaggeration of a porkpie. Although I have seen hats with kind of "dipped" brims, almost resembling a woman's bonnet, in addition to those with "gaucho" style brims.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Most of what's been said here is correct but with some caveat's. I've owned actual "zoot" hats and they can be both PorkPie and "C". They have been bound edge AND unbound. Most are low crown, wide brim with an exagerated feather. It's basically about the style, not absolutes.
Please be aware that most of the sellers on Ebay don't know squat about hats and are using the term just to get your attention. I consider it false advertising since so few actual "zoot" hats exist today. Remember, the fad only lasted about 18 months, until Dec 7 1941, so to find and actual "zoot" is the needle in a haystack thing.

MattJH

One Too Many
zoot1.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a black zoot suit and I actually wear a black Akubra Squatter with it; it's got a wider brim, a bit over three inches I think, so at 5'8" tall it suits me fine for the look. The crown is done in a porkpie style.

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
1-1.jpg

Here is an example of a Zoot Hat or Tando as it is called in Spanglish or Calo (also known as Pachuco) which is slang of Mexican Spanish which originated during the first half of the 20th century in the Southwestern United States and is still in use today. This is a product of zoot suit or Pachuco culture.

The picture of this particular style of zoot hat which was made famous by Tin Tan in Mexico (He was one of the most important actors of Mexico's "Golden Age" and who's influence can still be felt today) and Cab Calloway one of Americas famous Jazz singer and Bandleader.

The picture of the zoot hat in the picture has a 4 inch brim with the exception of the long feather which is missing in this example. This is a modern replica which are sold in specialty stores along with the zoot suits.

Here is a statue of Tin Tan in Mexico note the hat and zoot suit which he was most often filmed in during his movie career. Note the long feather which is a little difficult to see.
TinTanStatueDF.jpg

Here is one of Cab Calloway's suits which was on display in Baltimore's City Hall in October 2007
450px-Cabsuit.jpg

Hats are like potato chips, YOU just can't have one! :eek:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Art Fawcett said:
Remember, the fad only lasted about 18 months, until Dec 7 1941, so to find and actual "zoot" is the needle in a haystack thing.

Wow, was it really that short of a time?

I know the whole "zoot" culture is usually associated with with Southern California's Mexican-American community, although, I've read about zoot suits being worn by African-Americans in NYC also. And, I know cloth rationing during WW2 really ended it as far as clothing goes. But, somehow I thought it was more wide spread and long lived, though, considering the far reaching cultural impact.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Although I don't consider myself an "expert" guttersnipe, I have researched this in the past and the earliest pic I could find was from 1939 and was in a club in Harlem, NYC. It was actually born there, then quickly moved to the West coast, especially among the Hispanic community in LA. Once war broke out and rationing went into effect, it became "unAmerican" to use that much cloth ( effectively flaunting it) , leading up to what is termed the "Zoot suit riots". It was not uncommon for guys wearing them to be hassled over it, thus making it somewhat dangerous. After the war ended, the style was modified to a shorter jacket and referred to as "Pachuco" and is still part of the culture today. So, we are looking at a very short time period for the "fad" and it coincided with the "Zazu" (sp) period in Europe.

Great pic Thunder. This just proves there are always exceptions in history but I would point out that they are not wearing a jacket. Also gents, look at the creases..variety has ALWAYS been with us

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Where to get a Zoot Suit Hat Feather?

I've got a nice Zoot Suit and accoutrements put together for certain occasions. (see avatar) I was thinking about breaking it out for Halloweeen, and realized that I don't really have a nice classic Zoot Suit feather to go with the hat. I don't want something 3' long, but something nice and "larger than life" would be great.

Any suggestions as to where to buy one?

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've got a nice Zoot Suit and accoutrements put together for certain occasions. (see avatar) I was thinking about breaking it out for Halloweeen, and realized that I don't really have a nice classic Zoot Suit feather to go with the hat. I don't want something 3' long, but something nice and "larger than life" would be great.

Any suggestions as to where to buy one?

Oddly enough, fishing supply shops often have a good supply of different colored feathers - might be a start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925