Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What characteristics make up a "Zoot Hat"

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zoot Suit Store has these----->
feathercolorbg1.jpg

But you want a really long Pheasant tail feather, IMO.---------------->
PP.jpg

To achieve this:
zootsuithat.jpg
zootsuiter.jpg

Last edited:

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Ah yes, thanks, fellas! No, I'm not going for 3' monstrosity, but I think something like a 10" pheasant feather might be just the ticket. They're not very expensive, so I ordered a couple versions. Will see how they turn out!

Anyone know what the large brimmed fedoras were popular during the zoot suit era?

Not sure I understand the question, Dennis. But I can tell you that I'd be interested in hearing some well-informed commentary on all things zoot.

The attire itself isn't something I would emulate. It would "read" as a costume, especially on a person like me.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Ah yes, thanks, fellas! No, I'm not going for 3' monstrosity, but I think something like a 10" pheasant feather might be just the ticket. They're not very expensive, so I ordered a couple versions. Will see how they turn out!

I love the picture in your avatar, lol.

I tend to believe the speculation that the zoot suit was invented in Harlem to be correct. It just looks like something the musicians in Harlem of that era would wear to look sharp since looking sharp is everything when you are performing for the public. It would look too costume-y today like most vintage clothing does.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I did a little searching on the net some time ago. It seems the first "zoot suit" was made for a young black man in Georgia who went to his tailor and had a suit made in the style of the "Prince Albert" coat worn by Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind, which was just out at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97