Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
If you don't exercise your 2nd amendment rights I hope you are keeping a good eye out!!

To me the brasilia is excellent but the Italia hits me right in the gut although my wife likes them both just fine.
It'd be tough to know how to defend one's self in a mugging.
You give the guy what he asks for if he has a gun. I don't
carry, but I always have pepper spray (mostly to defend my dog
against other dogs).

I will relax with a CAO Italia tonight, so I can make the A-B test.
Probably still the back yard, though! But maybe the smoke will
hit the mugger in the gut, too!

Anyone ever try the Zelo de Cuba long-filler torpedos they
have on one day sale at CI? Any comments? Killer price.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
shortbow said:
John, I'm with you on the Perique, although I have to be careful with that stufflol, but what do you find the burley does for a blend?

The "white" Burley, being relatively nuetral in flavor, is added to counteract the stronger flavors of both the Perique and Virginia. Thereby, coming up with what the tobacconist thought was "just right" for this particular blend. It is difficult to totally isolate, as it is a "nuetral" ingredient; I can certainly detect the Virginia and Perique, though.

If they excluded the "white" Burley I think I would get a lot smaller can of tobacco or a lot stronger blend; assuming they made up the difference with the other two predominate tobaccos.
John

indycop

I'll Lock Up
While the wife and girls are next door getting their nails done I am sitting in Island girl cigar bar. Wearing my silverbelly campdraft and enjoying a Padron. I also got a Rocky Patel 1999 for later.

BobC

While we were in the Dominican Republic last week, I was able to visit a small cigar factory in Bavaro. The brand they made and sold there was Don Lucas. Has anyone heard of them? They seem to be nonexistent here in the US, but they are pretty tasty from the ones I have had. I bought a couple of small boxes of them to bring home, but I can't find anything about them.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
While we were in the Dominican Republic last week, I was able to visit a small cigar factory in Bavaro. The brand they made and sold there was Don Lucas. Has anyone heard of them? They seem to be nonexistent here in the US, but they are pretty tasty from the ones I have had. I bought a couple of small boxes of them to bring home, but I can't find anything about them.
You bringin a cigar to Monteagle?:D

BobC

indycop said:
You bringin a cigar to Monteagle?:D

I am if I don't forget to pack them. I thought you might like to try one of these Don Lucas's, so I might bring several. ;)

I bought two blends, one mild and one full bodied. I like the full bodied one best, but they are all well made and burn really nice.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Esoterica's Margate in a Blakemar billiard. A classic English mixture.

Holding up the parenthetical part of the thread,

Mac

shortbow

Practically Family
Good man, KM.

I get it John. That sounds interesting. I think I'll order up some burley from Old Morris,a 110 year-old-tobacconist which has been in the same location since openning, down in Victoria, and do some experimenting.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
shortbow said:
Good man, KM.

I get it John. That sounds interesting. I think I'll order up some burley from Old Morris,a 110 year-old-tobacconist which has been in the same location since openning, down in Victoria, and do some experimenting.

I have heard you can add up to 50% "white" or Kentucky Burley to any blend. Adjusting the amount of Burley to reduce or strengthen the impact of stronger tombacco's, like Perique, for instance. John

shortbow

Practically Family
Yep, John, at one point a did a fair bit of reading on the various tobaccos, and burley is known for being sortofa well behaved smoke, but tends to carry more nicotine than the virginias, so I have tended to avoid it. Adding it to perique would simmer down the strenuous taste, but exacerbate the strength some, so I would want to use it sparingly myself, as my heart has a say in the matter.lol

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
A customer was nice enough to give me a Davidoff Double R. A fantastic Double Corona. Very smooth, very flavorful. Definitely was an enjoyable cigar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana