Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
indycop, the one benefit of ordering my sticks online is that I don't have to worry about the 50% sales tax that my fair state charges! jamespowers, after I got into the Patel a little more than just the lit foot, I found the same thing you referred to. The taste of it wasn't what was expected after having it talked up so much by the gentleman at the local shop! I haven't dove into the CAO yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I do!!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First cigar in months! The weather is finally getting nice enough to sit outside. For now, anyway.

I smoked something called a Hoya de Esteli. I googled it and found that it may have been purchased in Nicaragua. It was given to me by a friend who gave me three of them. I found the first two thirds pretty nice then in the last the wrapper cracked and it got pretty hot. I had it with a new Jura I acquired over the winter. First taste of it too. Lighter than the Islays I've had before and not quite as peaty.

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
Hey guys, please forgive me if I appear to be hi-jacking the thread momentarily. I have a quick question. Can y'all point me to a thread or something on building a coolidor/coolerdor or however it's spelled. I have a wooden cooler I'd like to use!

First cigar in months! The weather is finally getting nice enough to sit outside. For now, anyway.

I smoked something called a Hoya de Esteli. I googled it and found that it may have been purchased in Nicaragua. It was given to me by a friend who gave me three of them. I found the first two thirds pretty nice then in the last the wrapper cracked and it got pretty hot. I had it with a new Jura I acquired over the winter. First taste of it too. Lighter than the Islays I've had before and not quite as peaty.

Sounds like that cigar failed for you there. Sorry to hear it.
Jura is not technically from Islay. It is from the Isle(Island) of Jura. It does taste different for sure---not much peat at all but it certainly is potent enough. :p Last time I had it, Jura brought on the heat and then the fruit and honey. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys, please forgive me if I appear to be hi-jacking the thread momentarily. I have a quick question. Can y'all point me to a thread or something on building a coolidor/coolerdor or however it's spelled. I have a wooden cooler I'd like to use!

You just put a humidifier in the cooler big enough for the size and amount of cigars you intend to keep, that's it!:)

The draw on it was as difficult as I've ever experienced. It was a decent taste and a nice roll, but it was impossible to smoke!

Hmmmm... Probably rolled too tight or not humidified correctly. I hate when that happens---especially after you put out the money for it and it is useless. I usually use my ice pick on them but it usually only lasts a short time. Better than dumping it outright. :p

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
I smoked the damn thing anyways though. I figured since I put out some good money for it, I was going to smoke as much of it as I could. I think because of how tight it was rolled, my face turned blue a few times when I was trying to draw on it! I think I got light-headed!!

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
I think I've found my 'go-to' cigar. The CAO LX2 Toro was as enjoyable as I've experienced with cigars. I lit it up tonight and was impressed by the draw of it, the roll and the taste. Kind of a hint of coffee and leather! Somewhat sweet too!

I smoked the damn thing anyways though. I figured since I put out some good money for it, I was going to smoke as much of it as I could. I think because of how tight it was rolled, my face turned blue a few times when I was trying to draw on it! I think I got light-headed!!

:rofl: Like a kid sucking a milkshake through a straw. :p

I actually like the Joya de Nicaragua but I have not had one with a poor draw. You could have gotten light headed because they are fairly strong. :p

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
I don't know, but I sure felt like the kid with the milkshake you mentioned. That CAO I had last night was fantastic. I can't wait to get a box of them! There's an investment!!

I don't know, but I sure felt like the kid with the milkshake you mentioned. That CAO I had last night was fantastic. I can't wait to get a box of them! There's an investment!!

Yeah, a poor drawing cigar certainly puts you off the brand. I have had two boxes of Por Larranga Montecarlos. I like the cigar but both boxes had about a 50% rate of draw problems---even after aging. That has put me off of them because I worry that no matter how reasonable I might get them----they could be the same with another new box.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran