Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perdomo Habano conn toro tonight with McClelland's Islay. Super on both accounts, but I noticed by box is getting low.

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
Why does my humidor have such a hard time holding optimum humidity? I have my new box of CAO's in there and the humidity seems to be dropping, ever so slightly, over the past day or so!

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
Evening Gents. Thanks for the advice james. I ordered another, rectangular humidifier for my little humidor, rather than the little, tiny, round one that it came with also!!

Today it's a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Toro.

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
I was always told that kind of thing was taboo. Actually, I shouldn't use the word always. I was told it was taboo after Bill Clinton decided to use a cigar for activities unbecoming a cigar smoker!!

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
This is true! What about dipping it in some decent Brandy? I've got some Kammer Williams Pear Brandy and I had to force my way through a really bad tasting Rocky Patel just last night. I should have tried to dip it in the Brandy!!

This is true! What about dipping it in some decent Brandy? I've got some Kammer Williams Pear Brandy and I had to force my way through a really bad tasting Rocky Patel just last night. I should have tried to dip it in the Brandy!!

It would certainly take the edge off. However, my wife told me this morning that the cigar I smoked last night was the stinkiest I have ever smoked. :p Perhaps dipping the end in the scotch made the cigar stink more but at least it tasted like scotch. lol lol lol Oh and just dip the end your mouth goes on. :p

DesertDan

One Too Many
Heartfelt Industries make good humidification products. I use the bead tubes in my humidors to good effect
http://heartfeltindustries.com/categories.asp?cat=Humidity+Beads
When they start drying out I just drop them in a glass of distilled water, shake out the excess and back in the humi they go.

Did you properly "season" your humidor before putting your cigars in? If not this can lead to low humidity levels as the wood absorbs the moisture, and the humidor will not get a even seal around the lid.

Last edited:

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
I did season the humidor. I've been wondering about some of these bead tubes, as you mentioned. I might have to look into purchasing some of them. I've heard good stuff about them from several different fronts. Just wish there was a place I could get them locally, without having to order them over the internet!!

I believe it was indycop who posted a video outlining proper seasoning of a humidor. I did it as outlined in the video and it worked great for a couple days. I check it every day, but it seems the hygrometer drops ever-so-slightly every day!!

I did season the humidor. I've been wondering about some of these bead tubes, as you mentioned. I might have to look into purchasing some of them. I've heard good stuff about them from several different fronts. Just wish there was a place I could get them locally, without having to order them over the internet!!

I believe it was indycop who posted a video outlining proper seasoning of a humidor. I did it as outlined in the video and it worked great for a couple days. I check it every day, but it seems the hygrometer drops ever-so-slightly every day!!

Is you hygrometer digital or dial? The digital hygrometers are more accurate. However, the humidor does take a while to equalize itself before it stays constant---especially a new humidor. Just keep an eye on it for now. :D

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
It's an analog (dial) hygrometer. I think that's half the problem. It's a small desktop humidor. There's enough room in there for my cigars and the new rectangular humidifier I ordered and that's about it. I wish I could remove the analog hygrometer and replace it with a digital one that would be more accurate, but I only have so much room to work with!!

It's an analog (dial) hygrometer. I think that's half the problem. It's a small desktop humidor. There's enough room in there for my cigars and the new rectangular humidifier I ordered and that's about it. I wish I could remove the analog hygrometer and replace it with a digital one that would be more accurate, but I only have so much room to work with!!

Yeah, that is true. You can get some pretty smally hygrometers though:
2 3/4" x 7/8"
Digital_round_hygrometer_thumb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto