Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
I'm excited we have some feminine companionship in the smoking lounge!! :eusa_clap
Agreed. It is a rare treat to have beautiful, sophisticated, and eloquent women to share a pastime with. What a treat it would be to sit for an hour or so with such rare company on a quite evening enjoying what is too oft' a solo diversion.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Slim Portly said:
Agreed. It is a rare treat to have beautiful, sophisticated, and eloquent women to share a pastime with. What a treat it would be to sit for an hour or so with such rare company on a quite evening enjoying what is too oft' a solo diversion.

well I am sure that MissS and I will always be availible if we would ever be invited to such an evening.

Eduard

Familiar Face
Muralla.jpg

Ed_Muralla640x480.jpg

Yesterday was a lazy day and I was in the mood for a San Cristobal de la Habana, La Muralla! This is a gorgeous cigar, not only in appearance but also in taste!!!

Boxcode DEB ENE06

MissS

A-List Customer
rmrdaddy said:
Fair enough!

Slim, think we can set up a double-date at Casa Fuente???
shhhhhhhh :D :D [bad]

Gents, it's a date...though perhaps we should move the venue to somewhere more central for all of us - like Cuba? lol

Oh, but seriously, it's really sweet of you all to share your knowledge with a pair of newbies.

Eduard

Familiar Face
MissS said:
Curiously, even though I wasn't smoking it overly slow, I had to relight it twice. Gents, is this normal?

A cigar in good condition should not go out during smoking! Yours did but it's OK to relight it once... Yours went out twice and if you're a good smoker your cigar wasn't in a good condition...

By the way, do you know why it's called Romeo y Julieta?

MissS

A-List Customer
Eduard said:
A cigar in good condition should not go out during smoking! Yours did but it's OK to relight it once... Yours went out twice and if you're a good smoker your cigar wasn't in a good condition...

By the way, do you know why it's called Romeo y Julieta?

Hmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with me being in a steaming hot room that made it go out?

Re the name, no, I have no idea, so please enlighten me! I must admit, when he told me the name, the romantic in me just had to have it!

Eduard

Familiar Face
MissS said:
Hmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with me being in a steaming hot room that made it go out?

Re the name, no, I have no idea, so please enlighten me! I must admit, when he told me the name, the romantic in me just had to have it!

Hehehe... a steamy hot room ???

The lector de tabaqueria was reading books aloud like Romeo & Juliet to the (female) workers/ rollers (torcadoras) in Cuba. They liked the book soo much that they wanted this name for the cigars they made... The same goes for Montecristo (the Count of Montecristo)... Now the Complete Works of Fidel Castro are read to the workers :eek:

MissS

A-List Customer
Eduard said:
Hehehe... a steamy hot room ???

The lector de tabaqueria was reading books aloud like Romeo & Juliet to the (female) workers/ rollers (torcadoras) in Cuba. They liked the book soo much that they wanted this name for the cigars they made... The same goes for Montecristo (the Count of Montecristo)... Now the Complete Works of Fidel Castro are read to the workers :eek:

lol What a lovely story! Wish that I had a boss that would read to me!

:eek: Yes, a steamy hot room. Don't think I'll try that one again!

Eduard

Familiar Face
MissS said:
Determined, aren't you? I was in the bath. Wonderful way to enjoy a cigar, except for the fact that it can go out and if you doze off, you drop it in the tub. :eek:

At least your cigar was in good company ;)

Sometimes I like to smoke during a bath as well but never dropped my cigar or let it go out...

Eduard said:
Now the Complete Works of Fidel Castro are read to the workers :eek:
:eek:

MissS said:
lol What a lovely story! Wish that I had a boss that would read to me!
What's your field? If I ever have an opening...;) even though it'd mean somebody'd have to do a trans-Pac relocation, and I'm pretty well committed to a move home to Texas... Besides which, at least I try to keep my surroundings to dry heat... (hey, what would you expect from an old desert rattlesnake?lol)

warbird

One Too Many
Actually they are rarely read to at all anymore. Sometimes for show for the public. The radio has taken the place of the reader.

And the rollers have traditionally been men. Until recently women had the jobs of sorting and field work. Some were involved with the bands and boxing as well. But the names did come from the fact that the rollers and the family owners had a thing for fine literature.

The RyJ was Churchill's favorite. One size in particular a 7x47 which today is known as the Churchill size cigar almost universally, though some do deviate slightly from that size.

warbird

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Interesting--I may have to look into some of y'all's "cigar virgin" recommendations for a celebratory stick once I close-out the current project.

Any ideas for a first-time pipe-load? I'm thinking something that would've been available during WWII in the Southwest Pacific--my corncob probably isn't going to seem quite right for the "MacArthur standard" without a little seasoning, and there ain't much data available about his preferences although he appears to have been a serious nicotine-addict. (Which I'd prefer to have as little exposure to as possible, myself... I'm willing to endure a little for the finer things in life, but not much.)

Very interesting--does this mean I need to bring a few if you're ever in Seattle, ladies?;)

MacArthur was a fan of Dunhill I believe. This would have meant he probably didn't like much if any aromatics and he probably liked latakia somewhat. Pick up maybe some Nightcap or a nice Frog Morton On the Bayou would do nicely as well.

miss_elise

Practically Family
rmrdaddy & jamespowers...

thank you very much for your recommendations... i will seek these out... but pretty much anything has got to be better than the Cafe Cremes i have had occasion to smoke....

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Solani Aged Burley flake in my Larry Roush Rusticated "fisherman's" pipe
(his name, not mine. I think it looks more like a Bari Saxophone)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24