Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

PoohBang

Suspended
I haven't smoked any cigars in a few years now, but I still keep my humidor going with the stock I have in it. I've noticed a few spots of a "fungus/mildew" on the cigars. If I remember this is good correct?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't smoked any cigars in a few years now, but I still keep my humidor going with the stock I have in it. I've noticed a few spots of a "fungus/mildew" on the cigars. If I remember this is good correct?

If it's fungus, it's not good.

Before you throw those away, the answer is that it depends. If it is a blue/gray mold then dump them and clean out the humidor with a 50/50 solution of alcohol and water before using again. If it is a whitish powder then it is Plume or Bloom. That looks like this:
bloom2.jpg

It is the reaction between the moist air in the humidor and the aromatic oils within the cigar. Plume just tells you that you have the humidity within the cigar humidor correct. Just wipe off the whitish gray plume and smoke away. I have had this happen to cigars I have kept for a while. They are better cigars when they reach this point---at least to me.
They are beyond the sick stage(the period when the cigars smell of ammonia due to the fermentation processes within the tobacco) that is for sure.;):D

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That doesn't look like fungus to me. I would hold onto those.

Tonight I had a La Traviata Intrepido 7 x 54. Good cigar, and a really long smoke.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
looks like fungus to me but not bad. just wipe it off and lower the humidity. If you have a loop you'll know for sure but plume looks like crystals and is usually more uniform than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21