Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Just came back from next bigger city.
I finally went to the mainstation's tobacco (chain)store to have a closer look at their pipes in the vitrine. And I was dissapointed. It looked interesting, if you just walk bye. But it came out, that they only have very affordable Jean Claude pipes and none of them appeared well made and trustworthy to my strict eyes! Many with none-centrical smokehole.
Exactly, what I call "low-end-quality".

But despite the unfriendly weather, I decided to visit at least one of inner city's classic tobacco stores. Good decision!
And He HAD Vauen and some other from liquidated last production in Schweina/Bad Liebenstein.

Long story short:
The one, fitting my taste the most was funnily one of the Vauen starter kit ones!

The Intro 4

Attachments

• IMGP9241.JPG
    IMGP9241.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP9243.JPG
    IMGP9243.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP9244.JPG
    IMGP9244.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

earl

A-List Customer
Last pipe of the day was again Kendall Dark (I've always only kept a couple of blends on hand at a time), in a rusticated Peterson bent house pipe. Other pipes used today with other tobaccos were a rusticated Peterson Hansom and a 1985 Ashton pebble grain billiard.

Mm25

Practically Family
Last pipe of the day was again Kendall Dark (I've always only kept a couple of blends on hand at a time), in a rusticated Peterson bent house pipe. Other pipes used today with other tobaccos were a rusticated Peterson Hansom and a 1985 Ashton pebble grain billiard.
Sounds like you have a pretty nice Peterson collection going. The B 42 is one of my favorites. I have a house pipe and a pub pipe also, usually defaulting to the pub as the house so much bigger.
Weather has been bad here and I only smoke outside, so not much to report.

earl

A-List Customer
Sounds like you have a pretty nice Peterson collection going. The B 42 is one of my favorites. I have a house pipe and a pub pipe also, usually defaulting to the pub as the house so much bigger.
Weather has been bad here and I only smoke outside, so not much to report.
I have an oak pub pipe myself, which, of course, is also 1 of my favorites. I prefer large pipes with large chambers.

Mm25

Practically Family
Still deciding between the smooth XL 23 and the rusticated Lestrade. They are the same shape, but the XL lacks the silver band of the Sherlock Holmes series.
Either way, the chosen will be filled with an English blend and smoked with my father, who is bringing his sandblasted Lestrade.
C0E37E33-46D1-48E4-98A2-21C6139E119F.jpeg

earl

A-List Customer
Still deciding between the smooth XL 23 and the rusticated Lestrade. They are the same shape, but the XL lacks the silver band of the Sherlock Holmes series.
Either way, the chosen will be filled with an English blend and smoked with my father, who is bringing his sandblasted Lestrade.
View attachment 502216
Smoked my smooth XL23 Kinsale tonight too. Think the smooth Kinsale is more attractive than the rusticated SH even without the silver band. But, at the time I bought the Kinsale, did so simply because it was substantially cheaper than the Sherlock Holmes series. Now you can buy dark stain SH's for only about $30 more than what Kinsales had been going for.

I forgot, that I wanted to mention that.

The Prestige Regular Mixture was much too coarse cutted from the bag. First, I thought about wasting it, but in the end, I took kitchen knifes and cutting board and did the best. Now, it's more or less okay.
I mean, HOW BIG would a pipe be, to make such stupid coarse stuff fit in?? :oops:

But the other two brands (Golden Blend's No.2 / Holger Danske Golden Harmony) are okay from the bag!

But another rookie question.

Many are talking about the "three-layer-filling system".
But is someone doing two-layer-filling system? For me as a rookie, wouldn't that be easier??

Mm25

Practically Family
But another rookie question.

Many are talking about the "three-layer-filling system".
But is someone doing two-layer-filling system? For me as a rookie, wouldn't that be easier??
Like all things pipe, there is no right and wrong. Understand why things are done and experiment until you get what works for you.

Mm25

Practically Family
Smoked my smooth XL23 Kinsale tonight too. Think the smooth Kinsale is more attractive than the rusticated SH even without the silver band. But, at the time I bought the Kinsale, did so simply because it was substantially cheaper than the Sherlock Holmes series. Now you can buy dark stain SH's for only about $30 more than what Kinsales had been going for.
I think some of the new rustification looks pretty good. I still don’t care for their sandblasting.

earl

A-List Customer
I think some of the new rustification looks pretty good. I still don’t care for their sandblasting.
Yeah, I like their current rustication well enough. Smoked some Kendall Dark in my rusticated Peterson Rathbone tonight, which was bought a little over a year ago with that rustication. Some of their blasting looks pretty good. Have a blasted Squire, (which I also smoked today), with blasting showing off some good ridges akin to their PSB blasting grade.

Had my set with me in the flap pockets and on my way I thought, why not giving a try?
So I tried to find a place with less wind as possible and then I made it going. Worked very well!
My Vauen Intro 4 (without filter!) burned nonstop over circa 20 minutes. But I did a lighter tobacco load for this first try.
Tobacco was Holger Danske Golden Harmony.

Next time, I will try a maximum tobacco load and I'm sure, this will be great!! The Vauen Intro 4 is so handy.

Last edited:

Mm25

Practically Family
Yeah, I like their current rustication well enough. Smoked some Kendall Dark in my rusticated Peterson Rathbone tonight, which was bought a little over a year ago with that rustication. Some of their blasting looks pretty good. Have a blasted Squire, (which I also smoked today), with blasting showing off some good ridges akin to their PSB blasting grade.
This Strand spends most of its time in a drawer. As I look at it, I can’t say what I don’t like about the blast and I like the shape, but I usually end up picking something else. I’ll put some Dark Twist in it this afternoon. (After I polish the silver)
75320C4F-C313-4798-8C98-E90BDBFE6F77.jpeg

earl

A-List Customer
Tongiht's pipe was 1 of my favorites-a rusticated 2015 Peterson Founder's Edition with Kendall Dark. I always smoke 3-4 times a day, choosing a different pipe each time. So, also smoked another of my favorite Petes, a walnut XL02 spigot with Oriental Silk today.

Mm25

Practically Family
Tongiht's pipe was 1 of my favorites-a rusticated 2015 Peterson Founder's Edition with Kendall Dark. I always smoke 3-4 times a day, choosing a different pipe each time. So, also smoked another of my favorite Petes, a walnut XL02 spigot with Oriental Silk today.
If you get a chance, I would like to see some of your collection. Pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ