Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color defines a hat style?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars

So as I move forward on my hat collection I decided to stay with more classic colors and patterns. Sure, I’ll but a few new or custom one off hats but when I go vintage what color really captures the style of a hat?

I’m sure a lot of you will say the color is purely up to personal preference. However if I asked any of you to tell me what color a Ferrari should be the first answer would probably be red. When I think Lamborghini I think Yellow. I think an old Studebakers, I think of that honey gold-ish brown color.

I guess vintage hats remind me of vintage cars. The lines the curves, the can look very organic or very industrial. And I think a color can help convey that message.

So name a hat style and tell me what color really captures the lines of a hat?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
A few that come to mind:

Stetson Open Road: silver belly, gray with silver/gray grosgrain; I think a green is also pretty classic, even a light tan maybe?

Stingy homburg-bash "gangster" hats: black

Porkpie: should probably be black, though I just ordered one in charcoal brown

Bowler: as above, black is classic, but I have a stingy one that's light brown (clerly I have a preference for brown hats)

Homburg: gray and black are pretty classic, but you see them in all sorts of colors (like the one(s) Prince wears, for example)

moustache

Practically Family
Grey!!

Vermifuge said:

So as I move forward on my hat collection I decided to stay with more classic colors and patterns. Sure, I’ll but a few new or custom one off hats but when I go vintage what color really captures the style of a hat?

I’m sure a lot of you will say the color is purely up to personal preference. However if I asked any of you to tell me what color a Ferrari should be the first answer would probably be red. When I think Lamborghini I think Yellow. I think an old Studebakers, I think of that honey gold-ish brown color.

I guess vintage hats remind me of vintage cars. The lines the curves, the can look very organic or very industrial. And I think a color can help convey that message.

So name a hat style and tell me what color really captures the lines of a hat?

In my humble opinion,i think THE colour that most defines a
30's and 40's era Borsalino or other fedoras would be grey.Maybe a few different shades.I have seen more grey hats than any other colour except maybe brown.But that seems to have been more prevelant during the 50's.
Maybe i'm wrong.Probably so [huh]

JD

moustache said:
In my humble opinion,i think THE colour that most defines a
30's and 40's era Borsalino or other fedoras would be grey.Maybe a few different shades.I have seen more grey hats than any other colour except maybe brown.But that seems to have been more prevelant during the 50's.
Maybe i'm wrong.Probably so [huh]

JD

That is what I find as well. Grey was a popular color. I find gray and brown to be the preeminent color of fedoras in my collection. There are greens, blues, blacks and a host of other rarer colors but grey and brown abound.
As mentioned before---bowlers-black, homburgs-black, straw hats are an easy one. ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot