Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Constitutes a Gentleman's Walking Stick?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"Swagger" sticks started in the Army, I believe. They were added to officers' uniforms. The officer had to hold onto the stick at all times. This prevented him from stuffing his hands in his pockets, and therefore looking unprofessional.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
What constitutes a gentleman's walking stick? Well, it's a walking stick carried by a gentleman. What constitutes a gentleman is a far more complicated question. ;)

m0nk

One Too Many
I have a cane off and on, simply because I often need one to walk. It's pretty generic, but strong and has a brass handle. I've considered getting a shillelagh simply because it's practical purpose is pretty much what you're after, but I had found a site a while back that will cut one specific to your length requirement. I can't seem to find the site, but I've got it around somewhere...

I got into trekking poles when backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, so I like a walking stick or more like a staff compared to the canes shown here. I have a couple of canes used for prodding cows by my grandfather. Never considered their use as a weapon except warding off aggressive dogs...

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
"Swagger" sticks started in the Army, I believe. They were added to officers' uniforms. The officer had to hold onto the stick at all times. This prevented him from stuffing his hands in his pockets, and therefore looking unprofessional.
The swagger stick does date back to Roman Centurians so it has a military origin that predates pockets in uniforms.

The glass swagger sticks are perhaps a little to much of a dandy accessory to really equate to the military counterparts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner