Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Constitutes a Gentleman's Walking Stick?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
What constitutes a proper gentleman's walking stick for everyday use? Does it have a brass/bronze eagle or duck's head? Or a solid knob at one end? Is it stained wood where one can see the grain or is it black?

I want a walking stick largely to carry as a weapon when I go on long walks at night. I also wouldn't mind having one to carry and use for extra support when I have to stand in one place for an extended period -- say like watching a parade. I understand all the technical issues of how to size a walking stick, which attributes are prized for defensive use, etc. but I don't know what really constitutes as gentleman's walking stick. Thanks.

Last edited:

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
Sounds like a practical reason to have a walking stick. But it is probably better not to refer to it as a weapon. If you have it with you and you needed to use it to defend yourself that would be convenient. If a cop asked you why you had it and you said to defend yourself, he would tell you it could be considered to be a "billy". Possession of it could be a legal offense. If you are a younger man it would look kind of suspicous and might attract police interest. Pepper spray might be a better choice.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I'm not going to refer to it as a "weapon." One of the huge benefits of a walking stick/cane is that they are pretty much "hands off" due to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

In any event my question is about what constitutes a proper gentleman's walking stick? I would hate to procure one with a brass horse's head when unbeknownst to me, gentlemen-in-the-know only carry walking sticks with bronze duck heads as an example.

Feraud

Bartender
I don't think there are strict design elements designated for a walking stick. If you want a brass duck head then go for it. The same if you want a black shaft, woodgrain, etc.
It's a personal choice.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
There have also been many changes over the years as to what is the proper stick for a true gentleman to carry. If you are trying to dress to a certain time period you should check the periodicals of the year you are emulating to see what is proper for you.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lots of great walking canes/sticks out there. I think it’s really up to the individual person what they want. With that said if you can find the one "Biff" from "Back to the future 2" used with the fist as the head stock, that would be awesome.
My two cents worth
here is a link to a good name brand
http://www.foxumbrellas.net/acatalog/Walking_Sticks.html
Johnny

Last edited:

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
Don't forget that weapons can be used against you. I don't mean this in a demeaning way, but I do know someone who was attacked and had a similar possession used against him. That situation didn't bode well for him.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Stylistic points are entirely up to you. Personally, I prefer T-handle walking-sticks. They provide better grip on the hands. For a bit of flash, you might like to have it decorated as an eagle-head or something.

I don't see at all why age of the user should be any problem at all. There are younger folks who legitimately use walking-sticks. Just tell them it's the result of a skiing-accident, or you dislocated your hip while breakdancing...yeah that'll sound plausible...

Or you could do what Hugh Laurie did, and stick a pebble in his shoe, to create his Dr. House limp.

I would not refer to a stick as a "weapon", defensive, or otherwise. Just refer to it as an 'aid' or an 'accessory' (just not an accessory to murder!).

If you are interested in using a stick as a defensive weapon, however, read up on the long lost art of singlestick fighting. It's a Victorian martial-art that utilised walking-sticks as weapons of self-defence. It was once an Olympic sport, but died out after the Edwardian era.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
If you are interested in using a stick as a defensive weapon, however, read up on the long lost art of singlestick fighting. It's a Victorian martial-art that utilised walking-sticks as weapons of self-defence. It was once an Olympic sport, but died out after the Edwardian era.

Variously called bartitsu or stock kampf

Stock-Kampf.jpg

More at The Bartitsu Society

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
The key elements which differentiate a gentleman's walking stick from a mere crutch (such as the aluminum monstrosities with which we are all so familiar from observation of any place where the elderly and or retired congregate), are the actual metal ferule at the tip (as opposed to those awful, dowdy, and bulky rubber bumper tips of aluminum can fame), the fineness or rather refined quality and litheness of the shaft of the stick which also includes the quality and elegance of it's finish and it's general lack of crude and/or vulgar encrustations or carvings or decorations of any sort (this does not preclude the presence of tasteful decoration - I once saw a beautiful can with a japanned hammer-finished head and lacquered body in amber and rust tones swirled with olive green with an ivory ferule below the head), and no matter what, all of the details of the stick or cane as you like, must be of the highest artistic quality and craftsmanship or else the entire effect is destroyed. Typical models are spherical heads, clavicle heads, figured heads, T heads, and L heads though the latter two really are simply variations or embellishments of the same basic type. The head of the can can really be made of anything that strikes your fancy, even the shaft itself can. I once saw an antique Edwardian cane made of a narwhale's tusk with an iron ferule tip, and a gold ferule ring beneath the head which looked like it may have been ebony or some other blackish woodsy substance, perhaps jet? Regardless, the possibilities are truly Endless.

DNO

One Too Many
In those halcyon days prior to the First World War, no gentleman would really considered going out without his hat and his walking stick. In addition, a gentleman would most certainly have at least two sticks: a Malacca cane stick for the daytime, and an ebony stick for the evening. In addition, he would probably have a third stick for country walks. Though no walking stick collector, I started using a stick during my strolls a few years ago...a bit of an affectation, I'll admit but I've come to quite enjoy carrying the stick. Not as a weapon, mind you...they are far too light for that...but simply to give me something to do as I walk along.

So here's my three 'go-to' sticks:

Screenshot2012-12-11at34609PM.png

From top to bottom: a Malacca cane with a horn ferrule, ca 1910; an ebony with a brass ferrule, ca 1910; and a stick made with leather washers with an iron or possibly aluminum ferrule from around the same date.

The handles:

Screenshot2012-12-11at34634PM.png

And the ferrules:

Screenshot2012-12-11at34652PM.png

The Malacca and the ebony are quite slender, flexible and rather delicate. The leather washer stick is certainly stouter, stronger, and heavier...it could probably support one's weight if necessary.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Tractor supply sells a hardwood cane of some sort for under $10.00. It's UGLY, but would make an excellent starting point for a walking stick. If you look up Hiking Staff, you'll probably find various brass ends to protect the bottom.

Later

Out this way many people go for walks with a 5 iron in hand to fend off loose dogs running wild. I can say i haven't seen a walking stick used other than at some type of vintage event. If you are in the area where there is a fair amount of elderly you will usually see a fair amount of canes, some wood most are industrial medical supply stuff. So it is rare to see a walking stick as fashion. Of course there are the staff type used in hiking or those seen at the renaissaunce (SP) fairs accompanied by a Gandalf look a like.

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Please do tell me if this cane would be appropriate for a fine gentleman. The walking canes can look so elegant yet so out of place at the same time if a young person would use one today, besides it takes guts to go out in public with one.

Cane.jpg

Ferrule.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Is there a shortage of masculine backbone in the world these days or something?

It takes guts for a man to wear some kind of hat other than a baseball cap these days. It takes guts for us to dress up vintage-style when the height of fashion is jeans falling off your ass, these days. It takes guts for us to enjoy listening to vintage music openly when everyone's fascinated by cute little boy-bands these days.

If you wanna use a walking-stick on a regular basis, young, old, war-vet, shot your leg off hunting, whatever, take the stick, go outside, say "Damn I look good..." and go for a walk. it's not that hard. If someone mouths off, it's their privilege. And it's your privilege to ignore them, or say 'stuff you' as you so-decide.

It's no big deal.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Out this way many people go for walks with a 5 iron in hand to fend off loose dogs running wild. I can say i haven't seen a walking stick used other than at some type of vintage event. If you are in the area where there is a fair amount of elderly you will usually see a fair amount of canes, some wood most are industrial medical supply stuff. So it is rare to see a walking stick as fashion. Of course there are the staff type used in hiking or those seen at the renaissaunce (SP) fairs accompanied by a Gandalf look a like.

I used to do that as a kid. Today I think a cop might take exception to carrying a golf club. For almost 3 years I used to carry a policeman's truncheon when I walked at night. I learned to spin it on its lanyard, the whole bit. I never knew that carrying a truncheon was illegal -- thank goodness I rarely even saw an LAPD cruiser.

The beauty of a cane is that they are covered the the Americans with Disabilities Act. I don't think a cop would mess with anyone carrying a cane.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Please do tell me if this cane would be appropriate for a fine gentleman. The walking canes can look so elegant yet so out of place at the same time if a young person would use one today, besides it takes guts to go out in public with one.

Cane.jpg

Ferrule.jpg

I sorta like your cane. It would make an excellent weapon. I like the patina too. It say "this was my grandfather's." I would never carry a walking stick for style but I would carry one as a weapon and as something to lean on.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
A walking stick can mean many things.

In some times a walking stick was only carried and the tip never touched the ground. Some of the thin ebony and cane ones mentioned are good examples. They were often referred to as a swagger stick. I have seen some beautiful blown glass examples. Many were a little too short to reach the ground. They should not be needed as a weapon but rather as a way of projecting that you are in such a social position that you do not need to use your hands for any work so you can carry this stick. You present yourself with a degree of importance that will keep any riff-raff away. Of course if someone does not know their station, a quick reminder can be administered with the stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner