Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What *Could* You Do Without?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
I read in an investigative book titled Nickeled and Dimed that the very poor are more likely to have stoves (or at least hotplates) than refrigerators, which can be too expensive for them. (The electricity cost is high, too.) This makes it difficult for fresh food to survive more than a day in their homes, especially in the summer. And due to transportation difficulties, the very poor often find it very difficult to get to the market every day to buy fresh fruits and vegetables.

I found that book fascinating, and also tremendously depressing.

magneto

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
I read in an investigative book titled Nickeled and Dimed that the very poor are more likely to have stoves (or at least hotplates) than refrigerators, which can be too expensive for them.

Even worse, a few years ago when I was looking at large houses for rent which took me into some "odd" parts of Oakland, CA, some houses had neither stove nor fridge, nor landlord intending to install either (even though in CA I believe this is illegal.) In the "ghetto" absence of both is not uncommon, which makes it even worse.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What could I live without?

Reality TV shows

Cell phone use on the bus

'Made in China'

any stores that have Mart in their names

Starbucks

boy bands

all people saying 'you go girl' or 'fo shizzle' or anything of that nature

parents being their kids 'friends'

local news

Im sure there are many more, well I KNOW there are, but most of the stuff I hate involves most of the people on the planet, cept' for the lovely folks at FL ;)

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
MSG
E-numbers
Artificial pesticides/fertilisers (How I wish the food we ate today had the same nutrients as it did 50 years ago)
3-G mobile phone masts giving kids and adults aggressive cancer
Botox - since when has looking constantly surprised been a good thing? I intend to age with dignity.
On that note, ridiculous anti ageing ingredients like "penta-peptides" or whatever they are called. Since I started using cold cream and rosewater my skin has never looked better!
Microwaves - I never had one till I moved and had no oven for a month - now I don't use it except to defrost.
Today's kids in the 11-17 age bracket. I could do without them all. If they are not complete pikeys that destroy everything in sight, hurl abuse and foul language and scrawl graffiti everywhere they are scrawny emo kids who look like lollipops dipped in cat hair, or chubby emo kids unfortunately wearing the same clothes their skinny friends do.
UK-only this one - chavs. I want England to drop out of the World Cup soon so I don't have to see any more stupid flags flying out of cars, pasty topless men with British Bulldog tattoos wearing the flag as a cape and lager fueled aggression. The World Cup, sorry "FIFA World Cup<sup>TM</sup> 2006 Germany" has amplified the chavs' normal behaviour by 200%.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Fleur De Guerre said:
scrawny emo kids who look like lollipops dipped in cat hair, or chubby emo kids unfortunately wearing the same clothes their skinny friends do.

:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol

YES!!! That's so true!!! Emo... is there really any need for it?

NO!:rage:

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
No, we couldn't do with out that... well, some should do with out it!;) Like kids and teens... so many kids today don't understand the power they hold... teen boys are like loaded guns ready to go off... and the way gals dress today, well, perfect targets! :rolleyes:

I also hate TRAFFIC! HATE IT! I could do with out that.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, real traffic apposed to my fake traffic? Buddy, the whole darn state is just TRAFFIC!!! Ever get stuck on the 405 in rush hour? Yeah, it's the pits! So is the 110! We have it bad too... there's no escape! Lucky me I don't have to drive on the freeway to get to work any longer! I live three blocks away from work! YEAH BOY! I could even ride my bike if I wanted... nah, to lazy! Hahahah.

=WR=

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
No, we couldn't do with out that... well, some should do with out it!;) Like kids and teens... so many kids today don't understand the power they hold... teen boys are like loaded guns ready to go off... and the way gals dress today, well, perfect targets! :rolleyes:

Boy, I'm about this close > < to making some kind of "fully automatic" joke or some such. But I'll refrain from doing so.

Wild Root said:
Oh, real traffic apposed to my fake traffic? Buddy, the whole darn state is just TRAFFIC!!! Ever get stuck on the 405 in rush hour? Yeah, it's the pits! So is the 110! We have it bad too... there's no escape! Lucky me I don't have to drive on the freeway to get to work any longer! I live three blocks away from work! YEAH BOY! I could even ride my bike if I wanted... nah, to lazy! Hahahah.

=WR=

Yes, you have fake traffic down there. lol
I know you have your share down there but the freeways are wider than we have here because no one wants to widen them. The end result is a traffic mess. Try our 238 at just about any time of the day. Two lanes in either direction---ridiculous. Then try to get through the Caldecott tunnel either int he morning or in the evening after work. PU! 880 and 580 are pretty messed up around that time as well. :rage:
I just have to commute across town though. That is bad enough. :D

Regards,

J

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
finbarr.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou