Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did I Just Buy???

Beardog

New in Town
I won an auction hat on a whim tonight.

It looks looks like about a 3 inch brim Stetson, sold by the Morris Men's shop at the Chicago Stockyard Inn. There was no detail given by the seller, so I took a chance and put in a low bid. The rest is history, for good or bad!

Does anybody know what I bought??! It looks kind of like the old Stetson 100's of the day. :confused:

Stetson 3.jpg Stetson 2.jpg Stetson 1.jpg Stetson 4.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You didn't do bad at all! I don't know if it's a Stetson 100, and I believe it would state it clearly in the sweatband or liner, but that's a very good hat.

Beardog

New in Town
Yeah, I just started looking at photos from that era, after being a surprise winner, nd couldn't find the exact hat, as it said nothing inside the heat to indicate what it might be. I figured it was some type of OR "cousin".

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Looks sharp. You could keep the cattleman crease and leave the brim up; cattleman and snap the brim down; or crease it as a fedora. Lots of choices.

Beardog

New in Town
Well, I'm glad to be encouraged that I didn't screw up and bid on a total dog of a hat!

I have a nice steamer that the wife used in the past for steaming wrinkles out of garments. So, I think that I will take the hat back to a full crown, then try my hand at a teardrop crease, and wear it as a snapped down fedora. I don't have enough total posts to search all of threads here, but I have gleaned a lot of information already, since joining the lounge.

You'll find a lot of research here that will help you become familiar with vintage Stetson hats. The post war Royal Stetson was a popular affordable grade - about 1/10 the cost of a Stetson 100. From the photos, it appears to have nice thin moldable felt that should be very enjoyable to wear. Enjoy it!

Classic Open Road style Royal Stetson hat. Great, every day, thin-ribboned, country hat...
Morris Men's Shop did sell a good many 100's since the hotel was attached to stockyards so cattlemen would sell their stock & treat themselves to a NICE hat.
I've had 2 100's go thru my hands from there.
Now you've got a good baseline, keep looking for ones higher up = Royal Deluxe, 3X, 20, 25, 5X CB, 7X CB, 100....

Beardog

New in Town
I'm not too much into the "western" look, so I hope that I can shape it into a nice fedora style without too much difficulty. It should be here in the next few days. Probably early next week, according to the USPS tracking #.

I'm not too much into the "western" look, so I hope that I can shape it into a nice fedora style without too much difficulty. It should be here in the next few days. Probably early next week, according to the USPS tracking #.

You should be able to reshape the crown to your liking without much difficulty.

That's a cool hat, 'dog. Everybody needs at least a couple of those babes -- nice old OR-type lids that ain't so pristine that you'd be reluctant to wear 'em much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy