Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

dnjan

One Too Many
Quickfire Napa Valley Chardonnay 2008

Why subject over-ripe juice to mal-o-lactic fermentation, replacing the little character there could have been with butteryness?
And then over-oak it to try to bring back "something"?

Not my choice: a wine-of-the-month club selection.

The rest will go into any recipe that I think can take it.

(and how can I type malolactic without bringing up lol )

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Quickfire Napa Valley Chardonnay 2008

Why subject over-ripe juice to mal-o-lactic fermentation, replacing the little character there could have been with butteryness?
And then over-oak it to try to bring back "something"?

Not my choice: a wine-of-the-month club selection.

The rest will go into any recipe that I think can take it.

(and how can I type malolactic without bringing up lol )

By your avatar I would have guessed beer geek over cork dork.:cheers1: That's what I get for jumping to conclusions. Maybe you can help me on this. Do CA vineyards (I know it generalizing) rely so heavily on oak to give it that "California" signature taste or is there a deeper reason like hops in beer? Thanks in advance dnjan.
Tom D.

dnjan

One Too Many
Personally, I think it is a little of both.
You need to remember that the west coast is full of intense coffee drinkers. Over-represented by notorious over-roaster Starbucks.
So it is natural that people trained with that roasted coffee taste would like toasted oak in their wine.

Also, when grapes are over-ripe, they tend to become one-dimensional (just fruit). So adding oak adds a dimension (and helps cover the high-alcohol, high pH that is also typical of over-ripe fruit).

As to the beer versus wine - it is beer in the afternoon when I do my grading, and wine in the evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails