What Did You Drink Last Night?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by kiltie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I had a meeting with my ex boss last week.....the role I play now is to help him drain the last few drinks from his collection of whisky so he can purchase new bottles......it is good to have a purpose.

travelingman and Hurricane Jack like this.
  2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Drove by a wine shop on Friday...the sign board out front...."We no longer refer to box wine as plonk.....it is from now on to be upgraded and referred to as......Cardbordeaux!

Edward and Hurricane Jack like this.
  3. A reason to get up in the mornings.

I saw a proverbial sandwich board sign once, said:

"Soup of the Day...WHISKEY!

Bamaboots likes this.
  4. Tonight it's Strathisla 10 bottled by Signatory Vintage Series.

IMG_8934.jpg

St.Ignatz, Bamaboots and Turnip like this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Named the most picturesque distillery in Scotland.....it is a good one but the tasting room hostess was not that knowledgeable.

6. The natural spring where the water comes from dates to the 13th century, so said the late Michael Jackson (not that Michael Jackson). For a time the Distillery was known as Milltown.

Gordon & MacPhail has some great bottlings of Strathisla from time to time. I buy Strathisla & also Longmorn whenever I can find it. Both can be hard to find.

7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, it is not carried in our gov't liquor stores up here.

8. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

That was it, not quite sure what to open next...:)

[​IMG]

BobHufford and Bamaboots like this.
  9. Small output. Most is used in blended Scotch I think. I usually only find either one thru Independent bottlers who have bought a few casks.

10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, it is one of the many owned by the Chivas Bros......I have noticed lately that Chivas Regal is getting good reviews along with Dewars 15 yr old. I may dip my toes into the blended world and see what is up. Always looking for a good lower end whisky, an every dayer and many of the lower end single malts just don't cut it so maybe time to try a blend again.

11. Of course for blended there is always Jack Bull ($$$) & I hear good things about Compass Box but I don't know the price point; haven't tried it. Monkey Shoulder is good but as a blended not worth it at the price point to me.

12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I tried Monkey Shoulder in the pub yesterday and was not that impressed. My go to blend is still JW Black and my bottle is almost done so will replace with a Chivas just to compare.

13. Turnip

Compass Box has got some nice blends at the start.

Spice Tree is a nice vatting, ranking on lower edge here, about 45,- bucks +/-.

[​IMG]

The Hedonism is a very nice grain blend, ranking a bit higher here, about 70,- bucks +/-

[​IMG]

Cheers

Turnip

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  14. Turnip

For that money, up to 50,- bucks, I would though prefer some single malt like Springbank 10, Ardbeg 10, Bowmore 15, Benromach 10, Edradour 10 or 12, Laphroaig 10, Bunnahabhain 12, Port Charlotte 10, Talisker 10 or DE,...so much nice stuff in that range

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  15. sal

sal One of the Regulars

Jefferson’s Ocean

16. I agree. There are several good 10 & 12 yr old Single Malts that I would rather have than a blended, even if they are a couple $ more.

17. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

A couple Blue Moons out by the campfire.

Turnip likes this.
  18. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi
    Thank Gawd, I thought I was suddenly on the Scotch thread. I USED TO like Scotch, I drank Dewar's White Label after college. Couldn't stand Cutty, or any of the Johnny Walker stuff. When the kids were little, I practically quit drinking because I was a little league, Boy Scouts, and Biddy Basketball a lot. I branched out to Laphroaig and Taliskers. I got on this website and started trying Ryes, now I'm trying several of those. I mix the Rittenhouse 100 Proof, and drink the Basil Hayden's Dark Rye.

Try Laphroaig with summer sausage, Smoked cheddar and crackers. It's all smoky.

Later

19. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Heh, we did pass around the Jack bottle a little while out there, but for me it was mostly a beer night.

20. I'm sure I speak for a couple of others when I apologize. Not interested in beers with slices of fruit on the rim or seltzers, so I'll leave it to you then.