What Did You Drink Last Night?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by kiltie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

You're fortunate b-boy. My wife had the Glenfarclas 25. She wants what she wants.

MisterCairo and Hurricane Jack like this.
  2. NBD! Connemara Original Peated Single Malt Irish
    Whiskey. I would say this is the equivalent to a Peated 12 yr old Single Malt Scotch Whisky.

IMG_8815.jpg

3. Rowan's Creek bourbon (and a few molasses cookies).

[​IMG]

St.Ignatz and Turnip like this.
  4. If I recall correctly from memory Rowan's is actually distilled at Willett's Bourbon in Bardstown. I was there on one of the Bourbon tours I've been on.

BobHufford likes this.
  5. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Nothing fancy, just a tot or three of Bacardi's.

St.Ignatz likes this.
  6. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Love the glass, HJ. I have a bottle of that I’ve yet to crack.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  7. It has a nice peaty, smoky flavor without being overbearing, & a bit of a burn in the aftertaste depending on when/what you last ate, but no medicinal/iodine taste. Pretty smooth I think.

Turnip and Bamaboots like this.
  8. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

And other than many if not most Irish whiskeys this is only double distilled.

St.Ignatz and Hurricane Jack like this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have the Glenfarclas 12 and 17 but not the 25 yet.....for now the Kirkland satisfies her thirst.

St.Ignatz likes this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Okay, this doesn't fully qualify but close enough. Last night we had a bit of gelato in the freezer and I got the brilliant idea to make bananas flambe with whisky liqueur as the flammable ...I guess I added a bit too much because when I ignited it with my creme brule torch (come cigar lighter) the flames shot 2+ feet in the air......caught a big chunk of my goatee and my left eye brow. So today I have a wry look about me and a much shorter goatee. On the plus side the bananas were delicious and my wife is still chuckling.

BobHufford and St.Ignatz like this.
  11. ^^^^^ Hope your beard recovers @belfastboy !

Back in my "waiter" days we did flambe work tableside and this included one coffee drink with five shots of various liqueurs. We used tulip glasses, lit the concoction, poured it back and forth between the two glasses (with a gap of about a foot) and sprinkled cinnamon into it for "sparks" -- this was topped with coffee and whipped cream and served. One night this got a bit out of hand as another waiter and I paired up and gradually increased the distance of the flaming pour to where, eventually, one of us was standing on a chair and pouring to the other holding the glass near the floor. The next step was for him to get on the chair and I held the receiving glass behind my back. His aim was not as true and he poured it down my back. Nothing increases the tip like setting one of the waiters on fire ... thankfully the chef was watching us and ran over and patted me out. :eek:

12. To get the most out of it, definitely better as an aperitif with a clean palate than a digestif.

St.Ignatz likes this.
  13. Turnip

I could imagine that is due to the „low“ strength. 3% to 6% ABV more can sometimes already make the difference from aperitif to digestif.

14. Irish Whiskey being less complex than all the nuances of Single Malt Scotch Whisky, I just find I get more out of it & enjoy it more if I haven't eaten a meal in a while.

Turnip likes this.
  15. Turnip

Matching with yesterday’s Rommel 44 documentary TV movie it took something French...

[​IMG]

Folle Blanche fruityness, some very active, almost bourbony oak, bright and mellow Virginia tobacco, a touch of nuts and maple syrup and just the right strength, simply excellent.

Cheers

Turnip

St.Ignatz and BobHufford like this.
  16. NBD! Signatory's bottling in their Vintage Series of Strathisla 10 Cask Strength distilled at 58.5% ABV. I regret not buying another bottle. Only 275 bottles from this Cask & now hard to find. Ace Spirits & others are sold out.

IMG_8839.jpg

IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8842.jpg

17. [​IMG]

Fading Fast and BobHufford like this.
  18. Turnip

Peat and Port last night...

[​IMG]

19. I had some chili left over from yesterday's game day, made a pan of jalapeño cornbread to go with it, & now I'm enjoying some Single Estate Tequila Ocho Reposado. Pairs well together!

IMG_8854.jpg

RBH, Turnip, Bamaboots and 2 others like this.
  20. Aberlour 12 Double Cask Matured

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8858.jpg