Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

I wanted an everyday whisky....something to go to that was good but not expensive. Picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr old......it is okay but won't buy it again. Pales in comparison to my Benromach 10 yr old that alas is no longer carried in my local.
If the Highland Park 12 is the Oak series I agree completely. Nothing special for the price point. I have the same opinion of the Macallan 12 Oak Series, especially after Macallan took their huge price hike a couple yrs ago when no one else took one. I still have a bottle of Macallan 12 Sherry, & just bought a bottle of Sherry Oak. The Sherry series is getting impossible to get in the 12 yr old.

Talisker 10yo is a real bang for the buck in my opinion.
At this end it is available in almost any supermarket, sometimes for less than 30,- bucks on offer, normal retail price is about 35,- bucks here.
It's more expensive than that here, but consistently scores at 88-90. Good stuff for a 10 yr old & I'm not really an Island or Coastal region fan.

There’s also a new 10yo Oloroso finished Laphroaig to come up.

As this is going to have 48% ABV ist should be slightly more funky than the usual 10.

laphroaig-10-years-sherry-oak-fiinish.jpg
I like the Quarter Cask over the usual Lap 10.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Didn’t have that yet as Laphroaig is not on very top of my wannatry-list.

„Problem“ for me is that those standard bottlings which are vastly available in any supermarket around don’t really thrill me much anymore since i tried out very many of them meanwhile.

Instead of shopping three standard bottlings I prefer to put one somehow more sophisticated onto my shelf at similar costs and rather to try out something new.

Turnip

Wow, hefty price tag!

Will become better once UK joined NAFTA!

GlenDronach Parliament as Betthupferl in the glass.

Good night everybody!

Didn’t have that yet as Laphroaig is not on very top of my wannatry-list.

„Problem“ for me is that those standard bottlings which are vastly available in any supermarket around don’t really thrill me much anymore since i tried out very many of them meanwhile.

Instead of shopping three standard bottlings I prefer to put one somehow more sophisticated onto my shelf at similar costs and rather to try out something new.
I make it a regular habit to never eat grocery store meat or buy their liquor.

There are plenty of good 12's bottled & I like to keep favorites & explore new ones, & I don't have to worry about going thru a bottle too quick. When I get to some 16's, certainly 18's & rare bottlings I have to keep those back for special occasions or until I'm really in the mood to just sip. Otherwise I would go thru them too quickly & break the bank.

I don't drink a whole lot of NAS just on principal.

Turnip

@Hurricane Jack

I don’t drink much too, an average bottle from my shelf takes about two years to be emptied.

Those average OBs from Lagavulin, Springbank, Balvenie, GlenDronach, Glenlivet, Glengoyne...at 10, 12, 16, 18...years, Ardbeg up zu Uigeadail are widely available in only three supermarkets within a ten minutes drive here and i tried most of them during the decades.

The only bottles I bought a second of are Blanton‘s SFTB, GlenDronach Allardice, Kilchoman Loch Gorm and Talisker DE 2014 and Edradour Fairy Flag, if I remember correctly.

Cheers

Turnip

Last edited:
@Hurricane Jack

I don’t drink much too, an average bottle from my shelf takes about two years to be emptied.

Those average OBs from Lagavulin, Springbank, Balvenie, GlenDronach, Glenlivet, Glengoyne...at 10, 12, 16, 18...years, Ardbeg up zu Uigeadail are widely available in only three supermarkets within a ten minutes drive here and i tried most of them during the decades.

The only bottles I bought a second of are Blanton‘s SFTB, GlenDronach Allardice, Kilchoman Loch Gorm and Talisker DE 2014 and Edradour Fairy Flag, if I remember correctly.

Cheers

Turnip
I've read your dram posts on the Whisky forum.

To me the best of the 12's are workhorses & not expensive per se, not hard to come by. Around my home Balvenie 12 Doublewood is a constant. I don't worry about expense or being conservative with the 12's I like.

Last night was a NBD with Cragganmore 12.

IMG_8542.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk