Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HAHAHAHAHA, I had a Black Cherry Seltzer once. Once covers it. I can do Blue Moon with an orange slice cause I'm a health nut and all living in Oklahoma.
Later aye

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Would you share your thoughts on Dad's Hat? I have seen it on the shelves, but have not yet tried it.

I can't wax poetic about subtle flavors of unripe hazelnuts and Ontario currants but I will say it's an honest rye with a 90pr. kick. Straight it is quite spicy and a subdued sweetness. Bruised the rye flavor mellows and the sweetness comes forward. If you've ever been to Bristol PA you'll appreciate the in your face character of the town that parallels the IYF rye flavor of Dad's Hat. It can share the shelf with Handys, Sazerac and Willet in my opinion.
Tom D.

Now I'm going to have to line up my ryes and do a real comparison. Time to go buy some saltines.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
20201111_204341.jpg

R to L :
Jim Beam. 80pf Think Corbys with a touch of rye. Well whiskey at best.

(RI)1. 92pf. Musty in the background. Kind of inoffensive for a rye. Well thought of in reviews but it's not a must have imo.

Dads Hat. 90pf Clean rye flavor. Assertive.

Willett. 110pf. Clean clear rye. Almost viscous. Refined character. Delish.

Thomas Handy Sazerac. 126.9pf. Sweet, viscous, trace of orange. Rye, rye, rye with not grain bite. Pick of the litter.

Sazerac. 90pf. Mellow, sweet, round. Almost maple in the nose.

All have their appeal but as far as the J.B. I say leave the Beam, take the cannoli.

Last edited:
View attachment 279764
R to L :
Jim Beam. 80pf Think Corbys with a touch of rye. Well whiskey at best.

(RI)1. 92pf. Musty in the background. Kind of inoffensive for a rye. Well thought of in reviews but it's not a must have imo.

Dads Hat. 90pf Clean rye flavor. Assertive.

Willet. 110pf. Clean clear rye. Almost viscous. Refined character. Delish.

Thomas Handy Sazerac. 126.9pf. Sweet, viscous, trace of orange. Rye, rye, rye with not grain bite. Pick of the litter.

Sazerac. 90pf. Mellow, sweet, round. Almost maple in the nose.

All have their appeal but as far as the J.B. I say leave the Beam, take the cannoli.

Thank you!

1961MJS

Hi

Sazerac. 90pf. Mellow, sweet, round. Almost maple in the nose, is a sipping Rye, I use Rittenhouse 100 Proof for my mixer. I have several others that I've tried that aren't great. Basil Hayden Dark Rye is very good also.
Later

1961MJS

I'm pretty well stocked on bourbon with Christmas coming up. Looking to try some nicer dark rums. Any recommendations?

Hi
Depends on what you're doing with it. The only things I drink straight are some Ryes, all Scotches, and some bourbons. The Kraken dark rum is good with Coke, as is Pusser's Navy Proof Rum.
Later

Turnip

Not knowing what’s available at your end that link below might possibly be helpful at least sorting out the worst stinkers before burning too much money. I’m sure there will also some listed that are available for you nearby.

https://thefatrumpirate.com/rum-reviews

Under that „hydrometer test“ section you could also find out how much sugar might be added to a potential candidate.

Maybe this might help a bit further on for the first.

Cheers

Turnip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk