Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
So you and a fried of mine arethe ones who they make that beer for. :p
I just can't get used to its nothing taste. I have a couple bottles left for guests. ;)

I agree with you. I was a victim of Happy Hour.

On the other hand, my taste in beer tends to avoid the strong tastes. I'll take a lager before an ale on most days.

Jack Scorpion said:
I agree with you. I was a victim of Happy Hour.

On the other hand, my taste in beer tends to avoid the strong tastes. I'll take a lager before an ale on most days.

I am not too hot on strong tastes either. I just don't like very little taste. ;) :p
I can live with a Negro Modelo or just a plain Modelo and quite a few domestic and foreign beers but that Belgian.....[huh] The worst I have ever had was an Italian beer that had a guy with a fedora on on the label. :eusa_doh: I forget the name. I was a victim of the fedora there. :p lol

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I am not too hot on strong tastes either. I just don't like very little taste. ;) :p
I can live with a Negro Modelo or just a plain Modelo and quite a few domestic and foreign beers but that Belgian.....[huh] The worst I have ever had was an Italian beer that had a guy with a fedora on on the label. :eusa_doh: I forget the name. I was a victim of the fedora there. :p lol

Moretti or-
Birra Moretti,,, blah. I wanted to like it too.:(

I think Stella appeals to the folks who like to do better than Budweiser, but don't want to be hit over the head by taste.

I love this exchange at a restaurant;
"What beer do you have?"
"Oh, the list is long. We have all different kinds"
"Maybe you have it written down?"
"Well, no. But I can tell you"
"Thanks, if you don't mind"
"Bud, Bud Lite, Coors, Coors Lite, Miller (something-or-other), Stella Artois, Heineken, and Amstel Lite."
"Thanks, I'll have a Beefeater Martini"
:p

That's it!:eusa_doh: Birra Moretti. Ewwwwww...*yucky*
There is a place up in Sebastapol called Hop Monk. Now that place has beer. They even had an apple cider beer. That was pretty darn good!
My order at that restaurant would have been a Hendrick's Martini but I can understand the conundrum. :D

rumblefish said:
Moretti or-
Birra Moretti,,, blah. I wanted to like it too.:(

I think Stella appeals to the folks who like to do better than Budweiser, but don't want to be hit over the head by taste.

"What beer do you have?"
"Bud, Bud Lite, Coors, Coors Lite, Miller (something-or-other), Stella Artois, Heineken, and Amstel Lite."

SteveAS

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
"What beer do you have?"

Well done, sir. I swear I've had that exact exchange myself several times! lol

Beer - give me strong tastes everytime. That's why I tend to like anything Stone Brewing makes, they are not timid.

As to the Morreti -sometimes beer traveling a long distance is poorly handled and will get a yech flavor. In the past that flavor like the skunky light struck one was so prevalent with European brews to the point that Americans actually associated skunky off flavors with the concept of desireable premium beer. All since so many big name Euro brews were being served in bad condition. Same with Candian beer a lot of Molson and Moosehead was skunky foul stuff that traveled poorly or was handled poorly. Nothing like a few box cars of beer sitting a few weeks unrefrigerated in hundred degree weather to illustrate why Trader Joes got such a deal.:eek:

John in Covina said:
Beer - give me strong tastes everytime. That's why I tend to like anything Stone Brewing makes, they are not timid.

As to the Morreti -sometimes beer traveling a long distance is poorly handled and will get a yech flavor. In the past that flavor like the skunky light struck one was so prevalent with European brews to the point that Americans actually associated skunky off flavors with the concept of desireable premium beer. All since so many big name Euro brews were being served in bad condition. Same with Candian beer a lot of Molson and Moosehead was skunky foul stuff that traveled poorly or was handled poorly. Nothing like a few box cars of beer sitting a few weeks unrefrigerated in hundred degree weather to illustrate why Trader Joes got such a deal.:eek:

I think sitting in 100 degree heat for a few weeks would be an improvement for Moretti. ;) :p
Also, are you sure that is why Heineken tastes like that or do they keep the good stuff for themselves and export stuff that starts out tasting like it spent a few weeks in 100 degree heat in the first place? ;) :p

jamespowers said:
I think sitting in 100 degree heat for a few weeks would be an improvement for Moretti. ;) :p

"Actually, the reason why it tasted so bad was it probably had been already."

Also, are you sure that is why Heineken tastes like that or do they keep the good stuff for themselves and export stuff that starts out tasting like it spent a few weeks in 100 degree heat in the first place? ;) :p

We get Heineken Lager which is an Export only brew done in the Dortmunder style much like Becks and St Pauli Girl. In Holland and most of Europe they get Heineken Pilsner which everyone says tastes delightful and everyone raves about. Now why they make the Export taste like what it does and keep the Pils for themselves, I don't know.

John in Covina said:
We get Heineken Lager which is an Export only brew done in the Dortmunder style much like Becks and St Pauli Girl. In Holland and most of Europe they get Heineken Pilsner which everyone says tastes delightful and everyone raves about. Now why they make the Export taste like what it does and keep the Pils for themselves, I don't know.

Because they see us as suckers who don't know good beer. :rolleyes: :p

It might be that it doesn't take the ocean voyage well. There were some beers that were notorious for being great locally but turned to crap when shipped to the US. Pilsner Urquel in the keg often suffered when sent by boat, to the point that people paid a premium to have a keg airfreighted in for special tastings. Theakston's Old Peculiar was unreliable in the keg as was Fullers ESB at one time. Heck here in LA (San Gabriel) there was one year where Sam at the Stuffed Sandwhich got 3 kegs in a row of Anchor Porter that were soured and that only had to come down from the Bay Area.:eek:

John in Covina said:
It might be that it doesn't take the ocean voyage well. There were some beers that were notorious for being great locally but turned to crap when shipped to the US. Pilsner Urquel in the keg often suffered when sent by boat, to the point that people paid a premium to have a keg airfreighted in for special tastings. Theakston's Old Peculiar was unreliable in the keg as was Fullers ESB at one time. Heck here in LA (San Gabriel) there was one year where Sam at the Stuffed Sandwhich got 3 kegs in a row of Anchor Porter that were soured and that only had to come down from the Bay Area.:eek:

Air freight would work as long as it was temperature controlled.
Don't they have temperature controlled environments on freight ships? Maybe it is all the up and down over the waves etc? [huh]

D-503

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:

This explains why my friend from LA always says that the Guinness in Minnesota tastes better.

George Hornsby's Hard Cider (again) while listening to some Old Crow Medicine Show and reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential in my backyard enjoying the tikis and flashing lights.

SteveAS

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
. . . a limited edition Imperial Brown Ale from Langunitas that was stunning. The Langunitas had a yard long wild name that i can't recall.

Was this it, by any chance? If so, I'd never heard of it before two hours ago, but now you're the second person to recommend it!

Charlie74

Familiar Face
Went to a pool party yesterday where root beer floats were being served. They were made from root beer flavoured vodka (did not know it existed), amaretto, root beer and ice cream

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo