Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what did YOU take in school??

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Philosophy and international studies as an undergrad; political science with a specialization in international relations in grad school. The retirement plan and stock option package for professional philosophers was inadequate, so I am working in my grad school field.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have a BFA in Drama/Speech, minors in English and Education from Drake University.

Have also taken graduate courses in English, Theatre, Library Arts, Philosophy, Creative Writing and Gestalt Therapy at: University of Iowa, Drake University, University of Northern Iowa, SUNY Plattsburgh, and New York U.

Also took art classes at School for Visual Arts, various community colleges in New York, and took oil painting for 4 years in San Diego.

I only used my teaching certificate for two years, did not like it enough to stay in it, went to NYC and got into publishing. Only got out of publishing because I lost three jobs in 12 years due to mergings and publishing houses closing down, decided to get into government so I could have job security.

In San Diego, I worked for 18 years as an employment social worker, did freelance indexing and editing, was a union steward for SEIU, which gave me the chance to show off my dramatic skills.

Now, I am retired, taking classes at the Des Moines Art Center. This semester I am taking ceramics, sculpturing for the first time and am having a ball.

Life is for learning....

karol

D

DeaconKC

Started out for Engineering, Dad got sick and I had to come home and go to work. Got married and needed something stable. That's how I wound up taking a job with Illinois Department of Corrections. Parole Agent now, tracking sex offenders.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BA in History with a minor in Political Science
MA in History
I also did a summer at Oxford where I studied--well, I took a class--on post-WW II British fiction.

ContinentalOp

New in Town
My undergraduate degree is in music, my graduate degree is in security management, and I'm currently taking classes in fraud investigations. I think I'm a better investigator than musician.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
I'm a reformed right coaster.

SamMarlowPI said:
what university did you go to, mtech? EOU?

I'm familiar with their programs. But, no. I went to a smallish private in middle Georgia. Mercer University (it is the Baptist of the two Coca-Cola Universities with Emory being the other- Methodist). Great place, actually. :eusa_clap The campus is among the most beautiful I've seen and I've visited a lot of them! The town it is in, otoh, isn't (I grew up in middle GA- don't really want to go back- HOT & HUMID!!!!- that's the winters!) :rage:

ContinentalOp

New in Town
Nigel Fisher said:
Currently, ditto. I'm going to be a music major in college, however - lots of music theory, history of music, etc.

My undergrad degree is in music. I really enjoyed music theory, with the possible exception of traditional counterpoint (talk about frustration!). I actually wish I had been able to take more theory classes.

If you don't mind some unsolicited advice, I'd recommend trying to take courses that go beyond musicianship. Some of the most successful classmates I know pursued programs such as music education, music business, and music therapy. My biggest regret with my education is that I didn't pursue a second major in music business.

Best of luck!

dani

Familiar Face
i have not been to college yet, but i plan on going, and when i do i want to study cryptozoology/zoology, or criminal science.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Good luck- Is it urban planning?

the_imperialist said:
For what its worth, I'm starting a Bachelor of Planning next week.

I admit it. I've not heard of it either. :D What type of planning? [huh]

:eek:fftopic: That's a great pun (accidental and hidden?). :eek:fftopic:

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
oh so many years ago

I got a BS in Crim w/minor in Econ. Haven't used either in years, and feel much more like a secretary (is that still PC?) than anything else.

If I had it to do over again, I might go Poly-Sci & Gov like my oldest child is about to do. :)

CharlesB

Suspended
Pilotguy299 said:
I got a BS in Crim w/minor in Econ. Haven't used either in years, and feel much more like a secretary (is that still PC?) than anything else.

If I had it to do over again, I might go Poly-Sci & Gov like my oldest child is about to do. :)
i do poli sci myself. almost done the IR masters. Orig. did business and said eff that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot