Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do any of you make of this..

Has anyone any thoughts on this as regards price, condition, desirability etc etc ? Seems pretty cheap compared to some that Ive seen, but then those that Ive seen have probably hung around unsold because theyre too pricey?

https://www.marrkt.com/collections/leather-jackets/products/vintage-buco-j-22

Very reasonable price for one in such condition and especially the size. 26" back & sleeves is rarely seen on an original Buco. If I was after a J-twentywhatever, this is the one I'd invest in.

Mind you, it costs less than the RMC's repro.

One thing to consider is that this jacket may not have been made from horsehide but rather steer. But I don't know that much about J's so not sure on that one. Someone can maybe chime in on this?

Doesn't mean a thing, though. This is an outstanding piece and you could maybe even make a few hundred $ on it on eBay.

Mich486

One Too Many
I posted this the other day in the find and deals thread... imho is a deal for the condition/size the jacket is in.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree. RRL would charge 3 grand for this jacket. I think if someone really wants a Buco in this condition, you just pay and enjoy the heck out of it.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Thanks for the thoughts fellas - so if it was a choice between this and a RmC J24 Repro at roughly the same price which wuld you go for?

Two different beasts: depends which fits better. The RMC for daily use, and lifetime of wear. The Buco for special occasions.

lina

Practically Family
Wow, that's in unbelievable condition! I would take this any day over a repro, and I'd expect to get years and years of wear out of it. The main question, as others have said, is fit. but looks like it's returnable, so I would not hesitate. It's a beauty!

Mich486

One Too Many
Thanks for the thoughts fellas - so if it was a choice between this and a RmC J24 Repro at roughly the same price which wuld you go for?

Though one. A vintage jacket like that, for the way I see it, is a bit of a collector piece and, as handy mike says, to be pulled out on special occasions. It looks in good condition but probably a newer jacket like a RMC will hold up better in the mid term.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Though one. A vintage jacket like that, for the way I see it, is a bit of a collector piece and, as handy mike says, to be pulled out on special occasions. It looks in good condition but probably a newer jacket like a RMC will hold up better in the mid term.

This pictured jacket is about as nice as you are going to find if that is what you want. I prefer the early wool lined jackets.

The RMC redo is a great jacket indeed. Finding one in size 44 is probably as difficult as finding a clean original Buco 44 as pictured here.

I assume all early Bucos as pictured were made with horsehide even if not stated. I would guess this Buco would last as well as a new RMC. Why not?

Vintage, definitely. Well, me personally, if I was so much in love with a certain style, I'd get both, for the reason @handymike stated - RMC for everyday wear, original for peace of mind (just knowing I got something like that makes me happy) but if I could choose just one, it'd be the original.
Real Buco isn't something anyone can have.

And this jacket seems to be in a mint condition, @tmitchell59 is right, means only you don't need to worry about it any more than you would about any repro.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow. As I said in another thread, there has been a drop in prices in Japan even before the Covid-19.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Thanks a lot once again for the help all, I thought I'd give it a shot after all, so all being well I should be able to post some pics when it arrives next week. Ive been eyeing up the McCoys version of this for years but can literally never find it in my size, so Im pretty excited to get an original one for what seems like a good price (all things being relative haha)

Thanks a lot once again for the help all, I thought I'd give it a shot after all, so all being well I should be able to post some pics when it arrives next week. Ive been eyeing up the McCoys version of this for years but can literally never find it in my size, so Im pretty excited to get an original one for what seems like a good price (all things being relative haha)

You did well. Seriously, if it doesn't work for you for any reason, take some good photos of it and list it on eBay for 2000 GBP. I suppose not many people knew of that site, otherwise it'd be looong gone by now I'm sure.

Mich486

One Too Many
Markkt has been around for a while but only recently started selling vintage as far as I know. They offer a service where you send your used clothes and they sell it for you (they take pictures and all) for a (hefty) fee. Same company as the old Real McCoy’s London which now broke off and are a business of their own and Superdenim (not the forum) which stopped trading a few months ago.

Blackadder

Here are some of the recent auction prices.
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closed...-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=buco+j-22&x=0&y=0
There were 3 original Buco J-21/22, the average price is around 100,000 yen which is about USD900. Granted those are not in excellent condition like the one above.
Here is the Rakuten listing of one of the three and you can see that the seller had to lower the starting bid to 1000 yen to get interest and another one had a 1 yen starting bid.

Last edited:
Here are some of the recent auction prices.
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closed...-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=buco+j-22&x=0&y=0
There were 3 original Buco J-21/22, the average price is around 100,000 yen which is about USD900. Granted those are not in excellent condition like the one above.
Here is the Rakuten listing of one of the three and you can see that the seller had to lower the starting bid to 1000 yen to get interest and another one had a 1 yen starting bid.

Dang, you're right... Why is that? I'm sure Covid didn't help but that's from even before. But... The repro prices have been higher than ever, too! I'm looking at Fourspeed Leather and the likes, the jackets are as pricey as they come. Is it just the interest in vintage that's waning?

Blackadder

Dang, you're right... Why is that? I'm sure Covid didn't help but that's from even before. But... The repro prices have been higher than ever, too! I'm looking at Fourspeed Leather and the likes, the jackets are as pricey as they come. Is it just the interest in vintage that's waning?
Here are the Four Speed.
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&p=フォースピード&x=31&y=20
The one at 79800 yen has been there for years. The one at 49800yen also isn't a new listing. There just are not that many Four Speed around. I don't think the repro price has gone up. This brand new FW La Brea was sold for under 200,000 yen while the SRP should be around 270,000 yen.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r391566825

Superfluous

I thought the brown label reflected a jacket manufactured by someone who licensed the Buco name after Buco went BK, or someone who purchased Buco post BK, or something like that (I can’t remember). Am I mistaken? Am I confusing the brown labels with some other label? When were the brown label jackets made?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot