Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do They All Think Of Your Vintage?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Nick, I passed your compliment onto my good lady. She it was who made the shirt. Here's a couple of photos of it: The first in full view, the second in close up to see the detail. All the panels line up so there's no mismatch, the breast pocket, the same. Carefully selected buttons to match or to contrast. She puts as much thought into it as she does at making it.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep! I continue to wear smutter that isn't of this current age on a daily basis & engage with vehicles the same :) Should I change, people wouldn't recognize me, nor I my-self.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Heresy!
But you do have some fine leathers. And correspondents can enhance a leather, but of course, you have to like them. Ain't no rules that dictate whom should wear what, but calling someone a heretic, especially someone so well versed in all aspects of the era, is a delicious tease.

Touche!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
AAP I don't think anyone here really cares what others wear but it's to be expected that some sartorial choices will create reactions. Wearing a suit and tie is not a particularly brave or outlandish choice and is unlikely to be noticed. But if a person dresses in order to set themselves apart form others as superior and also behaves with entitlement - then that person may get some not very flattering feedback.

Yeah I guess your right.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Nick, I passed your compliment onto my good lady. She it was who made the shirt. Here's a couple of photos of it: The first in full view, the second in close up to see the detail. All the panels line up so there's no mismatch, the breast pocket, the same. Carefully selected buttons to match or to contrast. She puts as much thought into it as she does at making it.

That's truly great. I love it.

Superfluous

Amusing is when you randomly bump into another vintage fan.

we should have a "secret hi sign"...

I propose:

0ad85d853c0662be34521beb5855f4028755c88dd677560500d55cdf620644dc.jpg

bn1966

I'm thinking about one of those from HPA.

Nice jackets, trim fit, not too short & big shoulders @ least that's how mine fits. Materials used appear top quality...trying to avoid beer stains as happened to my L-2B recently (jacket became one big beer stain...messy nite out) :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks sir. I know Charles said to downsize in the HPA thread but the 40 matches my Alpha measurements, so I'm good with that!

ace12

New in Town
Hi guys! In my case, wearing moto jackets to work is considered unappropriate due to my profession in education - let alone the beat up, vintage ones. Just one time I had one on at work and immediately I was the centre of attention. Couple of colleagues came to me asking where was my bike, sensing that they were hostile and my respond to them was: where are your herds brokeback? The conversation terminated from there. Luckily they were wearing jeans at the time and I beat they didn't see that coming... except from work, I usually get complimentary stares on the streets knowing that they are people with the same set of mind.

bn1966

Thanks sir. I know Charles said to downsize in the HPA thread but the 40 matches my Alpha measurements, so I'm good with that!

I wouldn't downsize personally either...I'm a 46 & purchased a 46..pleased with result which looks tailored.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
A few of my lodge brothers (young guys- young enough to be my kids!) and I occasionally "dress era" when we go out for a bite or a drink, and have had a few amusing reactions.

The local Greek American restaurant owner always brings a smile to my face when he calls out, "Hey! It's the Sopranos!" when we come in. And once, upon overhearing a young gal at the bar of one of our haunts remark that I dress like I'm "in the Mafia," I replied, in my best Don Corleone voice:

"Nah, we don't call it 'the mafia;' that's only in the movies."

To which my friend chimes in:

"Yeah...we call it, 'The Life'..."

Laughed for a week over that one. Here I am similarly dressed:

Dressed for the Era.png

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
This is hard to explain but hopefully I made some kind of point about something:

I had one kid in particular try to take me down about my Flight hat that I made, and in front of everyone stood my ground and had to play ball.

Like *you talking about this hat, I made frigging *made* this hat dude.** Big smile of course, and then asking about the snaps on it..

me: oh, those...those are for my oxygen mask, you know.

And have to start talking about B-52 bombers and the 50s and cold war etc, and stand up for something if you like it better than someone else who has nothing but small things on his mind to say. My brother Is the one whose Opinion I trust, we run things by him and he will tell me if something is *too outlandish* for this small town.

doesnt depend so much on *what* you wear and where you wear it, but the attention you are going to attract and the signals you send have to be monitored. Vintage or not.

The meter and context of what is being worn, like for example I met a WWII reenactor in the town thriftstore wearing his Wermacht Battle Jacket and I started a convo about it with him and now I know this person and his appreciation for German uniforms, he knows me and my love for Flight Jackets. make a guys day for sure with positive comments on what he was wearing, like both of us had some unspoken mutual Respect in the same way all of us are here on this forum. Would have left the guy alone if he was wearing some Adidas or something, you know.

on the other hand;

Your Attitude needs to blend accordingly with your dress. people will pick up on insecurity and I have seen guys taking a verbal beating on the street trying too hard to be handlebar moustache type of *Trying to bring back turn of the century Facial hair* Fedora Sporting hipster. The attention backfired for this person. You can sort of tell the guy who is trying to blend into the trend and the guy who is setting the trends and then the people who are not affected by fashion in one way or the other. I find the hipster Trend totally annoying and Just stay out of it, The post-Ironic beards and the Divit Style Haircuts Just crack me up, no pink shirts for me, on that note where did all the Kids With Six foot Mohawks all go...along with the 90s Alternative flannel generation.

Basically you have to know exactly what you are wearing and what it represents to you and others, how and when to wear it.

bottom line:

All I know is you gotta back up what you wear, and not the other way around.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The local Greek American restaurant owner always brings a smile to my face when he calls out, "Hey! It's the Sopranos!" when we come in.
Great story! My wife's birthday is late February, it coincides with a new show that's opening in London, a stage version of Mrs Henderson Presents. If you have seen the movie you will know that it's set in Wartime London. I've bought tickets for a birthday treat for her. You can guarantee I will be suited & booted 1940's style. That will get a response from the taxi driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner