Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you collect other than Hats

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I've got to stop starting threads. They either get closed or moved. I don't leave the hat forum so I guess it is good bye to this thread for me. It was nice to see what the other guys collect.

Jeff

andy richards

Practically Family
I hope it's not the end of this thread, though...

I have a wide variety of collections... Most things I collect are unique, like my Junckers delivery bike dated 1945.
IMG00004-3.jpg

Also I collect some knives. Have a few of them but the Randall 18 model is one of my favorites. Don't know the age, but these knives are made from the late 60's.
IMG00002-1.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Vintage watches, clothes, and fountain pens. None of them as seriously as hats, although I do have several very choice watches now in my possession.

DarkAudit

New in Town
I have a small collection of Gillette razors. My favorites by far are the Red Tip and the original Adjustable (aka Fatboy)

Also have a TV Special...
IMG_20110201_021338.jpg

that I just put up on the 'Bay this morning. :)

andy richards

Practically Family
Lovely knife !

I'm a military model maker...and have more tanks/vehicles/soldiers in reserve than the Peoples Republic of China ;)

Thanks! I would love to see pics of your collection. Actually I've been building myself quite some vehicles and aircraft, but most are gone by now... Still have a lot of Airfix 1:32 scale soldiers (Luxemburg Army Size...).
Cheers,
Andy

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Not a serious collector of important things, I've a few collections of things my grandfather started my interest in. He gave me some of my first Archery bows. So I've bought and built wooden bows and make many of my own arrows.
img2497i.jpg

My grandfather bought me my first pocket knife and sharpening stones and encouraged my whittling. Here's my knives, mostly cheap Imperial brand knives which is the brand he fisrt bought me. A few Case knives just for added value!
img2489z.jpg

img2490ys.jpg

And here is what I whittle on these days.
4.JPG
8.JPG

Here are my pipes which were mostly left to my by my grandfather and why I started smoking a pipe in the first place.
img2488n.jpg

And I also have a small collection of DE razors that I started when grandfathers were left to me. I use his every day.
img2486e.jpg

And then there are the hats!! Of course I've got my Grandfathers hat!
1000541wf.jpg

Stingy and wool, but I love it!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I also have a 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe which is what my grandfather owned long ago. Hardly a collection but I suppose it's more classic car than most people own.
dscf2321v.jpg

I got nothing against collecting (or collectors), even though I'm not really one myself. Indeed, I appreciate the people who keep all manner of old stuff in good condition and learn so much about it that less-avid fanciers (such as myself) can benefit from the hours (and dollars) they've invested. We have several people here who fit that description.

Having said that, I do kinda "collect" old stuff that catches my eye, mostly early- to mid-20th century furniture and housewares and whatnot -- the stuff ordinary people used in their everyday lives. I dig old alarm clocks and kitchen appliances, for instance. And I've grown especially fond of ephemera, 60- and 70- and 80-year-old items that weren't made to last anywhere near so long. Cardboard hatboxes come to mind (got a bunch of those), as do calendars and advertising displays. But I don't care so much about any of it to have developed any real expertise. But again, I tip my hat(s) to those who have.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I should clarify... I'm not one who many would call an actual collector, which I'd define as a person who buys hat upon hat, sometimes not in their size, to study the details of the hats more than to wear them (or at least just as much). You know, the real hard-cores who have collections of over a hundred from all time periods, styles, makers, and sizes, etc. etc. And there's nothing wrong with that in my mind, in fact it is to be praised; it's just I don't have the money or room for such a collection, partly why I could not even fathom what that would be like. I'm what I call a dynamic collector, a person who, while owning hats for reasons more than just wearing them, still keep my collection limited at a modest size; i.e. hats in my size and styles I can wear (no 5" brim early 20th century westerns in my collection, because the blocking tag is a different shape, so on and so forth). I delve into the history of the artifacts I own more than the average wearer might, but I'd never be able to see myself as curator to a collection larger than 50 to 75 or so (I'm currently at about 25). But I don't buy a hat if I can't actually wear it due to size or style.

I'm guessing many here are such 'dynamic collectors'? Or a lot of you actually are those 'diehards'? Esteemed members such as rlk, mayserwegener, Dinerman, and buler, among others, come to mind for the latter.

Just my $0.02.

Tony, if you ever are interested in some more boxes, I have a couple that might need a loving home. They're taking over my home.

Cheers,

Tony, if you ever are interested in some more boxes, I have a couple that might need a loving home. They're taking over my home.

Cheers,

Does a bear, ahem, live in the woods?

Perhaps I have drifted over into the "collector" zone insofar as the hats go, at least by the general parameters I see that you and some others here have laid out. I do indeed have hats I never wear. They either don't fit (got a few of those) or are so irreplaceable that I'm fearful of harming them. Others I have just to gaze upon in something akin to awe. The finest hat I have is a vintage blue Cavanagh homburg I bought for a very reasonable price from our own Ande in Kansas. It's way too big for me (I wore it once, with a lot of padding under the sweatband), but I pull it out of its box (a vintage box from the old Rogers Peet department store, by the way) every now and then just to see how fine the high-end factory hats were back then. It's truly as fine a hat as I've ever encountered.

andy richards

Practically Family
Every man should have at least one knife...
I do not consider my knives as a real collection, as they are used and abused a lot... I just like knives.
Andy

IMG_1766.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Even though our house is filled with mostly antique and vintage things, we think of ourselves as a users rather than a collectors. It's all just stuff we live with and use. But since a large number of similar objects would seem to comprise a collection, I guess I qualify as a collector of pre-WWII Japanese lacquer ware, small Art Deco clocks, deco lamps, German stoneware from the 20s & 30s, cigarette cases and holders, small antique and vintage boxes, particularly ivory and tortoiseshell, vintage luggage, and anything in the Dutch Art Deco style known as Amsterdam School.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
After reading all of the above, if collecting means have more of something than you need (as it does to me), then I have collections of various sized model cars and motorcycles, 'pocket' knives, hats, photographs, both paper and digital, and car and bike magazines. Thats about all I can think of right now.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I moved from a house to a small apartment so I have had to cut down on collecting things and narrow down collections. I like thin ties, vintage clothing, any thing interesting from the 20s,30s,40s. Nintendo games, books.

Blooze

Familiar Face
Not a serious collector of important things, I've a few collections of things my grandfather started my interest in. He gave me some of my first Archery bows. So I've bought and built wooden bows and make many of my own arrows.
img2497i.jpg

And I also have a small collection of DE razors that I started when grandfathers were left to me. I use his every day.
img2486e.jpg

We have a couple of things in common! I'll see if I can get some pics for all to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points