Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Photographer

ten years in newspapers & magazines (fix stained wretch!), the last 12 years as a University photographer, currently staff photographer for the College of Veterinary Medicine... great job, great people & amazing opportunities... father to six dogs (Molly, Jake, Che', banjo, Elvis & Samson) & five cats (Isabella, Gracie, Louie Fishsticks, Greyboy & hellboy)... needless to say, pet hair is a condiment at our house:eusa_doh:

Travis

Suspended
Rick Blaine said:
ten years in newspapers & magazines (fix stained wretch!), the last 12 years as a University photographer, currently staff photographer for the College of Veterinary Medicine... great job, great people & amazing opportunities... father to six dogs (Molly, Jake, Che', banjo, Elvis & Samson) & five cats (Isabella, Gracie, Louie Fishsticks, Greyboy & hellboy)... needless to say, pet hair is a condiment at our house:eusa_doh:

I'd be willing to bet that your suits get the lint roller treatment quite a bit.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I work in a stupid Irish fashion chain-store (same as H&M, Top Shop that kind of thing) and am constantly innundated with stupid questions like: "Where's downstairs?" (I'm no architectural expert but to me that's a stupid question) and people downstairs who ask me what's upstairs (downstairs is the basement, so they've obviously just come from upstairs...[huh] :eusa_doh: ). Who let's these people out alone and how do they find their way into the shop is what I'd like to know...???

As you can tell, I love my job.:D

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Sounds kinda like my job sometimes, JB, I feel your pain. I once had to explain to a lady that you can't get a, custom handmade teapot two days before Christmas, that was intersting to say the leastlol

Travis

Suspended
Yeah, there are a lot of really dumb people out there. At one point I was working at a computer store and I had a lady buy a computer from me, and she was dumber than a bag of bricks. Several weeks after she bought it she called the store and asked where the CD-ROM drive was. Now this particular model had CD-ROM printed across the drive, so there's no way you could miss it. I sat there trying to explain it to her for 5 minutes and she said "Oh! You mean the coffee cup holder?"

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I teach Communication and Television Journalism at a college and still work one night a week as a journalist for the local ABC affilate.

BRS

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Travis said:
Yeah, there are a lot of really dumb people out there. At one point I was working at a computer store and I had a lady buy a computer from me, and she was dumber than a bag of bricks. Several weeks after she bought it she called the store and asked where the CD-ROM drive was. Now this particular model had CD-ROM printed across the drive, so there's no way you could miss it. I sat there trying to explain it to her for 5 minutes and she said "Oh! You mean the coffee cup holder?"

(QUOTE=JazzBaby)
Everyone knows the CD Rom drive is an ashtray holder! (QUOTE=JazzBaby)

lol lol lol
Now here I though it was someone's modern art expression of the vast emptiness technological dependance brings[huh] lol lol

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I get my hands dirty for a living

I'm a Tile setter. I own and operate my own Tile Setting company. Ceramic tile. I have fine art degree in Ceramics and Printmaking. I did not want to be an art teacher, which most fine art degrees are or starving artist. I deciced to stick as close to clay as possible. I love vintage Interior Design. In my future home all the bathrooms will be tiled in the 40's-50's look. In the past the tile work was impectable, nearly impossible to tear out.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I'm a full time illustration major, hoping to land a job in the school library this semester (another dream job - being surrounded by books).

I have had many jobs. So far I like art school best. Going home and drawing a city or making a chair beats the heck out of the 9-5 grind, for me (although I somewhat enjoyed the secretarial lifestyle).

My dream is to draw and publish my own comics and graphic novels. Maybe get an illustration published in Rolling Stone or something. Maybe become a really good painter. Definitely play silly songs on the piano.

Barry

Practically Family
Ruby Slippers said:
I'm a full time illustration major, hoping to land a job in the school library this semester (another dream job - being surrounded by books).

I'm a librarian.

I enjoy being surrounded by books. A good portion of the information that my patrons utilize is not available electronically (not yet at least). Some patrons prefer the print. I'm new to this "racket" and so far I enjoy it. Our library is very busy and the pace is extremely intense. Last week was a doozy :).

Barry

Nightshade

New in Town
I am currently a bartender that's trying to start my own buisness. I want to do sculpture and pottery. Hopefully, by the time I move, I'll have it established. I'm so excited.

:eek:fftopic: I'm finally becoming happy. I'm just getting out of a bad marriage, and I do have a lot of debt, but I'm just grateful that I'm smiling again. I'm starting a new chapter and hopefully my buisness will be a sucess. Wish me luck!!!

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Recently joined the Navy! I'm reporting in three weeks in Great Lakes, Illinois (that'll be goodbye from me for a while in the lounge, actually...).

CTI - Cryptologic Technician Interpretive.

That's just a lot of words that simply translate to mean "linguist."

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Oil and gas attorney for an exploration company. Formerly an architectural historian, waiter, and clearer of boondoggles. Although it wasn't technically a profession (though we did make enough beer money to get blotto), I also played guitar in a country band in law school.

gpwpat

Familiar Face
I am a CADD technition.

fancy word for Drafter on the computer. My specialty is Bridges. I draw anything that has to do with them. My favorite is working on historic bridges. I have drawn details for the Bay bridge and historic bridges in LA. Those are my favorite as I get to spend hours and hours pouring over historic drawings done in the 1920's and 1930's and get paid for it. Hopefully I will get to do another historic bridge soon. Modern bridges are so plain.

for hobbies I restore cars and build models.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I am a self employed nail technician. I make women's hands and feet look beautiful!! No, I don't do the long, awful, fluorescent orange nails! Nowadays, ladies like their nails shorter and more natural. I love the fact that I can wear whatever I like at the salon, so I always try to throw something vintage into the mix.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
What's your job?

I am curious what everyone here works with.
Personally, I am a student (language department), but I'd love to cross over and get an education in something related to theater and film. Like being a costume designer.
But I don't think I am creative enough for that. Not compared to a lot of the talented ladies on the board.
Plus it is very difficult to become one. If you want to get into London College Of Fashion you have to have a portfolio. I don't have one. :eusa_doh:
I know how to draw, yes... (Not all designer-y, and I don't have a lot of patience when I do it)...And I looooove looking at vintage fashion... And I love period movies. Everything up untill the 60's really. :)

So, what do you do?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am a retired social worker, but still keep a hand in publishing, and do indexing for a few journals.

After working for 46 years at various jobs, I like being retired and having enough money not to have to look for work.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925