Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

freebird

Practically Family
Prior to becoming disabled, I was employed by a screen print shop. I also worked for the local newspaper as a political cartoonist for a short while.

warbird

One Too Many
I may have answered this before, but I can't remember and I won't go though 25 pages to find out.

Let's see I talk to people about guns, take people shooting (trap and skeet, cowboy action, competitions, IDPA, and various other types) and hunting (everywhere in the world, this fall Africa), yell at the occasional politician, be nice to the very occasional politician and talk to more people about guns.

I go to what seems an endless number of banquets and events, but I enjoy them all. I get to meet some of the greatest people. I travel a lot. :D I take courses on this and that and the other at various places around here and there with teachers who work in interesting places doing interesting things. That's pretty much how I make a living.

I've done a number of things for a living and been in various forms of politics for over 20 years, separated only by the years I spent as a pilot. Overall this is at least as fun as flying old birds looking for other old birds, and it pays better too. And it's much better than flying a bus (read: commercial) around. Blech.

Aorta

Familiar Face
I'm a student, currently working on my final paper (=> gender studies) for a degree (comparable to the American MA) in sociology and political science.

I've worked at the academic library and as a tutor for the freshman students for some time.

Aviator

Familiar Face
warbird said:
I've done a number of things for a living and been in various forms of politics for over 20 years, separated only by the years I spent as a pilot. Overall this is at least as fun as flying old birds looking for other old birds, and it pays better too. And it's much better than flying a bus (read: commercial) around. Blech.
That sounds like a dream job.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Aorta said:
I'm a student, currently working on my final paper (=> gender studies) for a degree (comparable to the American MA) in sociology and political science.

I've worked at the academic library and as a tutor for the freshman students for some time.

Sounds really interessting! Might I ask what the topic for the paper is?

I'm a student for another job, then I will have to see what life brings. I have to work for a living!:eek: (I am really looking forward to that, but it's scary too!)

warbird

One Too Many
Aviator said:
That sounds like a dream job.

What part flying old birds looking for others? That was great fun, one of the best of my life. Alas, there's just no money in it. And once kids come, money matters a lot more than it did before. Kind of like the age of BK and the comes AK. ;)

Or did you mean a dream job is driving flying buses. It is for some, but t'aint for me. I was bored purely rotten.

Aviator

Familiar Face
Flying warbirds was what I was speaking of, but it seems like a labor of love. Agree that flying a (commercial) bus ain't what it used to be. I'll be looking for another line of work, probably, when I retire.

I don't know, doing bizjet charters might be kind of interesting: no set routes other than your "home airport", occasional chance to meet interesting new folks... plus a lot lower chance of "air rage" than on the winged-cattlecars.

Other than that, frankly I'm trying to find a fractional-ownership option a college student can afford, so I can ditch the commercial crap--to be honest, I'd rather drive than fly Big Air anymore...

Joan

New in Town
Charbeau said:
I am a full time housewife and mother. I have two young kiddos, 2 years and 2 months. Prior to children, I never thought staying home with your kids qualified as a "job" but boy I do now! So much to do to keep the household running smoothly.
I have a book right here from 1935 that says: "Have you ever stopped to think what it would cost to hire all the work done which most mothers do in a home every day?"

They had it figured out even then. :)

Dulcie G. Donovan: The Mode in Dress and Home. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1935, p. 346.

Joan

New in Town
I edit medical books. I freelance from home. I used to freelance for several different publishers, but they all seem to have been bought up by Elsevier.

June

Familiar Face
I'm job hunting after being out of the workforce for 12 years raising a family. Since I'm in the middle of a divorce, the search has taken on a little more urgency. My DREAM job would be to work for the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC).

pistolpete

Familiar Face
Haberdasher.

Started in retail in 1986.

Moved through many ranks and companies to be able to design and buy and merchandise, successfully, for these many years.

Now developing an ongoing men's high end assortment of tailored clothing.

www.axelsltd.com

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Electrician/Grunt

Last spring...
We weren't running wire at this point, but it was a lot of fun!!!

2436009750_c50ea38cff_o.jpg

2435193031_cd64efac0a_o.jpg

2436009966_9f5f71f87e_o.jpg

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
job

I've just finished my schooling to be a real estate appraiser. so i'm looking in that field while waiting tables at fine dining Cajun cuisine. I may be working for the Ritz-Carlton at Lake Oconee soon, though. (fingers crossed)

oh, and I was a musician for 4 years to pay for college, but thats done with now.

ML

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy