Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what do you do ...?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
My background has been primarily in private investigations and security. For the past four years, I've been an investigator for social services.

Because I usually try to blend in a little more and not stick out in my community, the most I wear to work these days is a flat cap. My fedoras would just stick out too much. I have to save those for my days off.

Panadora

Practically Family
Way back I actually sold classic men's wear for a couple of years before getting back to school.
Software development for a number of years. Ending up as a configuration/release manager, releasing control room software for railroads.
Now I'm facilitating film students at the local university.

Totally agree with you, moon but I am lazy. You can find mine on page 70 of the "What do you do for a living thread?"
In this case merging makes a lot of sense IMHO

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
interesting how many bass players are around here

love it

I've always been a frustrated bass player ... I love playing bass

and a bass player is a drummers best friend ... I enjoy making a solid "engine room" with a good bass player ... probably my favorite part of my job

Last edited:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I understand the need to blend in, but a private-eye without a fedora makes me sad.

Oh I agree! Sadly in this day and age when not everyone is wearing one, they're just not practical for blending in with the community I work in. Some days I wish I had a regular office job so I wouldn't have to think twice about what I wore.

DesertDan

One Too Many

love it

and a bass player is a drummers best friend ... I enjoy making a solid "engine room" with a good bass player ... probably my favorite part of my job

Bass and drums are a single instrument that requires two people to play. :D

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

love it

So many of us cuz we were the ones (during our formative band years) who were never good enuff to play rhythm/lead guitar. Dirty work but someone had to do it...

miket5r

A-List Customer
I work the last 27years by the austrian federal railways. but it is very difficult to describe my job. i am the teammanger of the day, and we monitor the trains in our range.
in the winter i have played icehockey in a hobbyteam, and in summer i drive with my racebike

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
I enjoy reading all these comments.
I'm one of those done everything types including getting married 4 times.
Grew up in the projects of South Boston and went to Viet Nam with an 8th grade education.
Got myself a college degree and banged around as a truck driver, tour guide, retail manager and bindery foreman to name a few.
Lost my job in my mid-fifties and started a carriage service which became a feed/tack store and eventually morphed into the One 2 mini Ranch hat store.
It took a long time but I finally found something that keeps me busy, happy and at home.

I enjoy reading all these comments.
I'm one of those done everything types including getting married 4 times.
Grew up in the projects of South Boston and went to Viet Nam with an 8th grade education.
Got myself a college degree and banged around as a truck driver, tour guide, retail manager and bindery foreman to name a few.
Lost my job in my mid-fifties and started a carriage service which became a feed/tack store and eventually morphed into the One 2 mini Ranch hat store.
It took a long time but I finally found something that keeps me busy, happy and at home.
A Southie transplant to Texas?:) That has to be interesting

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'll join in.
First, I have no musical experience outside of playing sax in high school.
I worked for and received a marketing degree that I ended up never using. I was working retail while in college and moved up to the corporate office after graduation and became an auditor for the local group of stores since I have a knack for working and managing numbers. Market changes led to a number of layoffs and job changes, including retail store assistant manager, wiring technician, administrative assistant, warehouse worker, and payroll manager.
I currently work for a large payroll company as part of the team handling wage garnishments. Doesn't sound fun, but I work with a great bunch of people and I am good at my job, so it does have its rewards.
I moonlight as a proofreader and copy editor to help supplement my hobbies which include collecting vintage razors and hats.

I have been, in chronological order:
  • A janitor at a hospital
  • A dishwasher at a Sizzler restaurant
  • A delivery driver for a company that did mostly industrial concrete work
  • A roller skater for a hand-tool distributor (we skated around the warehouse filling orders)
  • A tire buster (i.e., the guy who puts the new tires on your car) and salesman for a Goodyear retailer
  • A delivery driver for an auto parts distributor
  • A delivery driver/customer service representative/Quality Control Engineer/Process Engineer for a heat treating company
That last one was interesting. The company processed steel and alloy parts, mostly for the aerospace industry and NASA but also for commercial steelworkers. Despite my simplified description above, in the 18.5 years I worked there I did just about everything except operate and/or repair/maintain the furnaces at one time or another.

Since early 2005 I've been on the disabled list because of Post-Laminectomy Syndrome, Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, and Lumbar Spondylosis, all of which are fancy medical terms that essentially mean I've had surgery to repair a herniated disc in my lower back, but age-related deterioration of my lower spine is causing chronic pain so I can't work.

On the musical front, I've been playing rhythm guitar off-and-on for about 45 years now and I still have my first (and only) acoustic guitar, a Yamaha G-100A. I never developed the ambition or drive to do more than learn some chords and bash out a few songs here and there, so my "playing" is strictly amateurish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24