Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you layer under your leather jacket?

snowbird

New in Town
I'd like to be able to wear a leather jacket when the temps get lower, like snow on the ground lower. Just curious about what you guys have found that is thin enough to fit under a jacket comfortably, but also gives the best bang for your buck with regard to insulation. Thanks!

earl

A-List Customer
I don't buy snug fitting leather jackets. The 2 I own are pretty roomy. Roomy enough for fairly thick sweaters. Still, though, only find them sufficiently warm down to upper 30's F if day is sunny and not too windy. Otherwise, I turn to my other coats.

TLW '90

Practically Family
A good wool vest is great, but it doesn't snow where I live and I've also got a heenleyand flannel shirt on. My jacket also has a zip out thinsulate lining too.

20221031_112842~2.jpg

20221102_100640.jpg

If a vest doesn't seem like the way to go, maybe a thick wool sweater.
The USMC issue " commando " sweater is a great affordable option.
20221109_135431.jpg

Here it is over a USGI OG-108 wool field shirt that might also be a good option if tucked in or if you don't mind your over shirt being longer than your jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I live in warm climate so if I layer then it is for the looks only, thinner type3 or duck cotton vest or overshirt.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
I'd like to be able to wear a leather jacket when the temps get lower, like snow on the ground lower. Just curious about what you guys have found that is thin enough to fit under a jacket comfortably, but also gives the best bang for your buck with regard to insulation. Thanks!
For cold weather I go for "long johns" under the shirt of choice, even under a Hoodia if cold enough

Kenan

A-List Customer
Imo if you can’t layer anything, under your leather jacket, other than a t-shirt you are buying the wrong size. A jacket should be versatile, and you should be able to wear it as much as possible, so if you are buying that tight fashion fit you greatly limit the use of the jacket.

I wear heavy, thick sweaters over shirts or t-shirts. I no longer have a single jacket that doesn't allow for massive layering & isn't warmly insulated as I'm sick of being cold each year.

While good as a wind protection, leather is in fact counter-productive at battling cold. It's actually got cooling properties! It can trap and hold some warmth around you, especially if it's well lined with something providing decent insulation such as wool or polyester padded quilted lining, but in order for that to work, you need space and you need layers that actually sufficiently warm you up so there is some heat to hold.

Otherwise, wearing an I don't know, slim fitting cafe-racer over a thin shirt on an actually cold day may be worse than wearing just a thin shirt.

Leather jackets are intended to be worn over everything else so if you live somewhere cold, the sooner you drop the notion of looking cool in a slim-fitting leather jacket, the better.

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
Pike Brothers C-2 sweater. Thin merino wool , nice and cosy. I wear one under my A-2’s etc in the winter.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Imo if you can’t layer anything, under your leather jacket, other than a t-shirt you are buying the wrong size. A jacket should be versatile, and you should be able to wear it as much as possible, so if you are buying that tight fashion fit you greatly limit the use of the jacket.
That's why you definitely need multiple jackets to cover every use case. LOL

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I do think leather jacket that is so tight to be unwearable over a second layer is just too small. My jackets are snug but i have no problem wearing them over denim jacket

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Personally i believe in layering many thin wool layers.

It's currently freezing where i live, and on a standard day i'll wear a merino T shirt and a cashmere Uniqlo jumper like below:

dGYg9FE.jpg

I have that jumper in a bunch of colours, it is good value for money and warm, if i know i'll be hanging around outside for a while i might layer two jumpers.

https://www.uniqlo.com/eu/en/produc...450543_color=COL58&cgid=IDm-jumpers-cardigans

I also have that same jumper un merino which is not as warm, so i'll sometimes wear a merino T shirt, merino jumper, and the cashmere jumper on top of it.
It makes it easy to regulate my temp by removing one layer if need be.

I have completely stopped wearing cotton T shirts, they are IMO garbage compared to wool.
I have a tendency to start sweating when i exert myself and i end up damp and cold when wearing a cotton T shirt.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-merino-wool-t-shirt/59737

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I wear heavy, thick sweaters over shirts or t-shirts. I no longer have a single jacket that doesn't allow for massive layering & isn't warmly insulated as I'm sick of being cold each year.

While good as a wind protection, leather is in fact counter-productive at battling cold. It's actually got cooling properties! It can trap and hold some warmth around you, especially if it's well lined with something providing decent insulation such as wool or polyester padded quilted lining, but in order for that to work, you need space and you need layers that actually sufficiently warm you up so there is some heat to hold.

Otherwise, wearing an I don't know, slim fitting cafe-racer over a thin shirt on an actually cold day may be worse than wearing just a thin shirt.

Leather jackets are intended to be worn over everything else so if you live somewhere cold, the sooner you drop the notion of looking cool in a slim-fitting leather jacket, the better.

Absolutely! I've completely abandoned the notion of using leather as winter gear. It's exactly like you say, it has cooling properties, especially the waxy/oily stuff like CXL. If it drops below 0 degrees Celsius I don't use leather at all. Peacoat, deck jacket or something else is much better. But I really like the tight fitting jackets, I just preserve them for warmer weather. Enough jackets in my collection to have both layering and t-shirt only jackets.

Absolutely! I've completely abandoned the notion of using leather as winter gear. It's exactly like you say, it has cooling properties, especially the waxy/oily stuff like CXL. If it drops below 0 degrees Celsius I don't use leather at all. Peacoat, deck jacket or something else is much better. But I really like the tight fitting jackets, I just preserve them for warmer weather. Enough jackets in my collection to have both layering and t-shirt only jackets.

At 0 degrees C, the only leather thing I can wear is either shearling or heavily padded motorcycle jacket but I'm literally getting more warmth from a $15 Levi's sherpa trucker knock-off I have than any leather jacket can provide me with.
I find woolen coats marginally better. Nothing that isn't padded with something seems to work anymore & polyester lining actually makes a huge difference over a cotton one - But it takes times as you need to warm up.

I've been looking into a good MA-1 jacket or something like that but I'm not yet sure about it...

View attachment 474167
View attachment 474174
Mostly this, as i only have this one olive duck canvas vest, i want to have one in wabash.

Lol what you doing in this thread, anyway? Sea water temperature during your winter is literally as warm as most of our summers here!

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
At 0 degrees C, the only leather thing I can wear is either shearling or heavily padded motorcycle jacket but I'm literally getting more warmth from a $15 Levi's sherpa trucker knock-off I have than any leather jacket can provide me with.
I find woolen coats marginally better. Nothing that isn't padded with something seems to work anymore & polyester lining actually makes a huge difference over a cotton one - But it takes times as you need to warm up.

I've been looking into a good MA-1 jacket or something like that but I'm not yet sure about it...

Lol what you doing in this thread, anyway? Sea water temperature during your winter is literally as warm as most of our summers here!

For winter, you should really consider a pea coat. My Schott has thick quilted padding which keeps me toasty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ