Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Sound Like?

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Hard to argue with that... :)

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Hit the nail on the head

I "scored" Inland North. I was born and raised in Minnesota. When I tell people that the first question I get is "have you seen the movie Fargo?" or they tell me "I have a cousin that live in Minneapolis". It seems everyone knows someone that lives in Minnesota and they all seem to live in Minneapolis. I haven't lived their for over eleven years but when I go home or drink, the accent comes back.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
midland...

I got "The Midland" Great voice for TV or Radio.

This just tells me what I hear, and what I say are very different. I hear the distinctions between pen/pin etc. But when I speak, it doesn't come out that way. In reality, I do have a 'southern' accent.

I try my darndest not to let it out. But it's in my blood, like a virus.:eusa_doh:

Chad

Lillemor

One Too Many
I took the quiz even though I'm not American because my dad's American and so is his whole side of the family. They're originally from Forth Worth, TX and my dad was born there but only lived there for the first two years of his life before they moved to CA where my grandma grew up but isn't born. Not sure where she was from but she had the same drawling West Coast accent as the rest of my family and most Californians I know.

When I lived over there people asked me if I was from the East Coast. I don't think they thought I actually sound American, I think they just hadn't heard a Danish Californian valley accent before.lol That's how I always describe my "American" accent. I struggle with the "r"s, "w"s, and "th"s. I don't really drawl and I don't roll my "r"s they sound very erh...Danish or like a "w". My "w"s sound like "hue". But I do pronounce things differently than most Danes doing a mock American accent.

People have assumed that I was speech impeeded/had a bit of a slur.

Result:

"Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard".

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Reviving this old thread.
If you would like to hear what I sound like, I'm entered in this audition contest. I've been trying to find a way into recording audio books for awhile. If you like my entry, please give me a vote! The top 20 vote-getters are in the running to read for the upcoming recording of the Neil Gaiman book American Gods.
To vote for me to have a shot at a role in the Neil Gaiman audio book, go to the linked page, sign up (sorry), click the "Vote" tab and then search for Scotrace. Have a listen. If you think it's worthy, please give me your vote! :)

Marla

A-List Customer
I'm not a native speaker, but I sound like I'm from the West, according to the quiz. I used to have a vague British accent actually, but it is no more.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

Well I live in Maine, but NOT from Maine, from So. California. Except for the term "wicked" I don't think I've picked up much of an accent here.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yup. Me too.... shocker lol

Well, it's said that we speak the most standard English in the US, but don't forget that the L.A. area "dialect" was greatly influenced by Mid-Westerners in the early part of the 20th century (as the pronunciation of Spanish words for many of us has been influenced by the dialects of the northern Mexicans who were already here...).

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if I answered this before, but I got midlands on the quiz, which is pretty straight forward. In typical Maryland fashion, depending on who I am talking to and what I am talking about, my accent swings from neutral, to southern, to more northern.

rue

Well, it's said that we speak the most standard English in the US, but don't forget that the L.A. area "dialect" was greatly influenced by Mid-Westerners in the early part of the 20th century (as the pronunciation of Spanish words for many of us has been influenced by the dialects of the northern Mexicans who were already here...).

True. My grandparents were from the midwest and went to LA in the late 20s. Funny I ended up back where they came from.
I can speak a pretty mean Spanglish (albeit a little rusty these days) and can curse in Spanish too. It's great because when I do, know one here knows what I'm saying ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider