What do you still have in your possession from your childhood?

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by 2jakes, Feb 6, 2018.

1. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

There are other items but let's start at the beginning. My wife has hers also.
    20180225_103009~2.jpg

1967Cougar390, triple-d and 2jakes like this.
  2. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

What a great collection. It’s a blast from the past seeing the lead soldiers. My brother has our fathers complete set upwards of at least 50. The set even has little hand sewn sandbags so our father could build foxholes when playing war.

Steven

2jakes likes this.
  3. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

I’m really enjoying the Fedora Lounge. This site covers such broad topics and most can warm your heart because of simpler times. When I saw your post and picture my mind rushed back in time. Here is my baby bracelet now 50 years old that my mother carefully slipped off my wrist when I came home from the hospital.

Steven
    8CE1C3E0-01C9-42A7-B2EC-80A0E934F0F3.jpeg

4. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Thanks for sharing!
    The baby bracelets brings to mind "baby shoes" that were bronzed. I don't have
    any but I remember them.

Somewhere I have the school report card
    from elementary, also my school safety badge which I wore when I helped the
    "Mama patrol" as she helped the kids cross the streets as they "walked" home.
    Most of the kids are chauffered by mom.
    I'm sure there are still Mama patrols.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    St.Ignatz and 1967Cougar390 like this.
  5. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

My first bicycle, a 1961 Columbia, given to me by my grandparents for my sixth birthday. No...I wasn’t much of a beer drinker at age six. The Leinenkugel is there only to show the tiny scale of this bike.

74F3404A-F8E1-40A2-95CF-56E452997D21.jpeg

AF

6. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

My parents are kinda hoarders, and I was an only child, so I have quite a bit packed away in their crawl space from my childhood.

7. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Christmas star ornament when I was
    about 2/3.
    7DB2C7BE-AA93-4BC6-933A-6D1C791F1EF9.jpeg
    Elementary report cards.
    Red Ryder bb gun.

8. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

I believe that bicycle was the same model I learned to ride on. It was passed down to me from an older cousin I believe and was then passed on again when I moved to a larger bike. Thanks for the memory. :)

Atticus Finch likes this.
  9. green papaya

green papaya One Too Many

I still have my baby spoon and a small mug I used for drinking, I still remember using it.

10. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch One Too Many

Not exactly my childhood, but I still have the Randall #1 fighting knife I ordered in spring of 1964 when I was in 11th grade. It arrived almost exactly a year later in spring of '65, when I was a high school senior. Had it 54 years.

11. JC225

JC225 One of the Regulars

IMG_1063.jpg

He's still in the box!

12. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Clifford Pope was one of the founding fathers of the field of herpetology. As a 10 year old, I bought this new for $4.50 and practically wore it out reading and re-reading stories of his snake collecting experiences. Hence, my forum name and my post in Forum Families.

As Marie Kondo would say.. this gives brings me joy. I have a deep emotional attachment and a connection to some really special times growing up.

IMG_5008.jpg

13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My Daisy pump action BB gun. Still works well. All my Little League/Babe Ruth baseball awards from 1958-64 and my Canadian Football League team bobble heads from about 1958.

14. Circa 1931 “Scene in Motion” lamp that just came home with me after my parents decided to sell their house (they are both in assisted living).

upload_2020-6-24_7-31-14.png

This was the one thing I wanted most from my parents “stuff”.

I loved this as a kid!

Dad – in his early stages of Alzheimers – replaced the 20w bulb with something hotter and warped the spinner (the yellow section with the vanes on top) so it no longer worked. I just found a guy who makes replacements (for $75) so I might take some of our logging money and get this thing working again. Seems like an appropriate use of lost logs (100s of trees down from a tornado last month).

Short video on YouTube showing it “in motion”:

Not my pics:

upload_2020-6-24_7-35-35.png

upload_2020-6-24_7-35-58.png