Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this Miller fedora?

Donato

One of the Regulars
I happen to love fedoras with a teardrop crease and I've been itching to buy one in a mid to light gray. There is another thread where one young member had Gus Miller make a custom style fedora that is very tempting. See this link:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26979
Then I was browsing through Miller Hats - not Gus Miller - and found one style that is very similar for $110.00. It is called the Miller Manhattan Dress hat. Here are the specs and a photo:

Miller Manhattan Dress Hat by Biltmore
Style: 066 "Manhattan Dress Hat"
Material: Royal Smooth Finish Fur Felt
Brim: 2 5/8" bound edge
Crown: 4 3/8" front 3 3/4" back (teardrop)
Band: 1 1/2" Grosgrain band
Colors: Light Gray (Shown), Steel Gray,
Black, Brown
Sizes: 6 1/2 - 7 3/4
Price: $110.00
(The only difference is that Gus Miller's custom made hat has a 4 1/4 inch crown and a 2 inch ribbon and this one from Miller made by Biltmore has a 4 3/8 in. crown and a 1 1/2 in. ribbon and has an edge vs. a raw brim. Of course, the felt may be very different too. and of course, the price - $140.00 less. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this hat before I pull the trigger on one.) Thanks.

066-ManhattanDressHat.jpg
[/IMG]

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
The Biltmore hats sold by Miller aren't bad hats. They're somewhat thicker felt than the classics, and they're also a bit stiff. I've not had any issues with shrinkage.

It's an ok hat for the price and it'll last a while. It's not going to be as nice as their Italian hats, but it's good enough.

It's up to you whether you want to pay that price for the thicker, stiffer felt. Me, I don't mind. They even sent me one blocked open upon request, and I shaped it myself.

Tom

pgoat

One Too Many
I had a Biltmore Voyager (not a Miller hat) and exchanged it cause it was too big - you should order carefully size wize - I had another vintage Biltmore and it too was huge (was one size too big but felt like three sizes up).

Having said that, I thought the new one was a very nice hat, esp. for the money. A bit stiff, not so pliable, but it looked like it would hold up well. I only wore it once, and not in any inclement weather, fwtw.

kingsnake12

New in Town
I have a Miller Manhattan in steel gray. I got it in 04, and for a while it was my favorite hat, but after a couple of trips in the rain it was in pretty rough shape. I now wear an Akubra squatter as my daily hat and would recommend it much more than the miller for the same price.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Miller hats won't hold up to severe weather, but as a dress hat, they are pretty good. I used to have the light gray Manhattan, but my head size went up and I sold it. Of all the Millers I've owned and seen, it is the nicest as far as I'm concerned. It's fairly soft, smooth felt, and really looks great. If I was in the market for a fair-weather-only hat, I would go for the Manhattan.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
Miller hats won't hold up to severe weather, but as a dress hat, they are pretty good. I used to have the light gray Manhattan, but my head size went up and I sold it. Of all the Millers I've owned and seen, it is the nicest as far as I'm concerned. It's fairly soft, smooth felt, and really looks great. If I was in the market for a fair-weather-only hat, I would go for the Manhattan.
Thank you for all the replies. I am thinking about it and want to check with Art Fawcett and Jimmy Pierce about making this hat - and Gus Miller too. All are fine hat makers but their prices differ considerably I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy