Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this New Flat Head Leather Jacket

Motocann

One Too Many
So I did contact Thedi directly about some leather options and a possible change to collar design, I’ve seen great pictures of great fitting jackets directly through him and also from people that chose to go through Thuston Bros. I’m not sure which avenue I want to take.

The main concern is waiting period, I know this would be a custom and it’s going to take a while. I’ve seen people get lectured when they are waiting 9 months when quoted 60 days. I get that it takes time but if whoever I choose can’t guarantee delivery by November then I don’t need it at all. Considering I have two due in spring. So before I order anything I have to gather real world experience and explain the situation to the vendor or maker.
Thedi makes a great jacket. I order this jacket (pic below) in 2016. Just realized it has the date and my name stamped inside. The turn around was only a couple months. He'll pretty much make any changes you want. Looking back there's a few things I would change, but for the most part, this is one of my most coveted jackets. A real workhorse, super heavy zipper which I like, no chance of it breaking. Heavy cow hide, but cut in a way that doesn't make feel heavy... if that makes any sense.
Thedi jack.jpg

Damon141

Practically Family
Thedi makes a great jacket. I order this jacket (pic below) in 2016. Just realized it has the date and my name stamped inside. The turn around was only a couple months. He'll pretty much make any changes you want. Looking back there's a few things I would change, but for the most part, this is one of my most coveted jackets. A real workhorse, super heavy zipper which I like, no chance of it breaking. Heavy cow hide, but cut in a way that doesn't make feel heavy... if that makes any sense.
View attachment 428527
If it’s cheaper I was going to go with a cowhide, I’m pretty sure everything he uses is top quality just like Aero, I can’t picture either of them using anything bad. Even Vanson has good leather but just more on the tough commercial rider oriented spectrum versus the luxury type hides that Thedi and Aero with rich color and graininess

The first is a deerskin probably more than I want to pay but the 2nd is a cowhide unwashed/unwaxed which looks akot like yours without the weathering process
5702BBA1-D202-4DE9-97E3-C26322CAF20E.png
439582E8-CA72-4B81-99E9-811F6260F2ED.jpeg
5702BBA1-D202-4DE9-97E3-C26322CAF20E.png

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The main concern is waiting period, I know this would be a custom and it’s going to take a while. I’ve seen people get lectured when they are waiting 9 months when quoted 60 days. I get that it takes time but if whoever I choose can’t guarantee delivery by November then I don’t need it at all. Considering I have two due in spring. So before I order anything I have to gather real world experience and explain the situation to the vendor or maker.
I ordered a Thedi jacket through Thurston Brothers back in November of 2017. The jacket arrived four months later and it was not built to the requested measurements. I sent the jacket back and had to wait another three months for a remade jacket which also fits poorly. It was an annoying and expensive experience and I will never order another Thedi jacket although I really like his jackets when I see other people wearing them.
With regards to your point about real world experience I would say that you have to take any makers projected deadline with a big grain of salt. This has always been the case and now in Covid times even more-so. Between supply chain issues and people getting sick it has become very tricky to give accurate projections.

Damon141

Practically Family
Thank you. I was thinking about going direct for easier communication with the man himself for any alterations and a possible better price but the fit jacket process is probably the best way through Thurston, I just wonder if those pictures I would take would then make it to Mr Theodoros himself. I have read like in Merv’s case that he is really great at fitting, not surprisingly when I read his story about supervising jacket production for years in other countries then starting his own company. Sounds like master of this industry.

I think thurston would be honest about his various lead times as they seem real professional from their postings here. So I’ve emailed them about 2 Thedi’s they don’t stock.

Motocann

One Too Many
If it’s cheaper I was going to go with a cowhide, I’m pretty sure everything he uses is top quality just like Aero, I can’t picture either of them using anything bad. Even Vanson has good leather but just more on the tough commercial rider oriented spectrum versus the luxury type hides that Thedi and Aero with rich color and graininess

The first is a deerskin probably more than I want to pay but the 2nd is a cowhide unwashed/unwaxed which looks akot like yours without the weathering process View attachment 428558 View attachment 428559 View attachment 428558
That first jacket reminds me of my Golden Bear jacket… it’s a great summer weight riding jacket
7384BDA4-8B68-4D36-AB8B-C5DC3A35BE7F.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points