Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Thanks for the suggestions. I came across this article which covers a few options:

https://shavercheck.com/corded-electric-shavers/

What I did for the interim was buy a Wikinson double-edge safety razor and blades, and it works quite well once I got used to it, doing a much closer shave than disposable safety razors, although it takes longer. And it requires good shaving cream which I use now that it's hard to find cakes at least where I live. This will serve well and give me time to find a corded shaver.
Doc, I use the Van der Hagen basic pucks that I order from the big river company. Not fancy or expensive, but boy they make a really nice lather.

Last edited:

Lgrant

New in Town
I have never been a fan of shaving cream in a can. I hate how after you apply it to your face, you have a bunch of shaving cream between your fingers that you have to wash off before you can get to the business of shaving. Usually I use glycerine shaving rounds from Em's Place (https://www.emsplace.com/shop/proddetail.asp?prod=Em's_Glycerin_Shaving_Soap_Rounds) in my shaving mug, but I ran out, and the next shipment doesn't come in for a couple of weeks.

So I tried to find a better way to use shaving cream. First I tried squirting some in the bottom of my shaving mug and stirring it up with my brush. This was very messy, because the cream got all agitated. It was kind of like when you put dish detergent, instead of dishwasher detergent, in a dishwasher.

After a few tries, I figured out that if I squirt just a bit on the end of my brush, brush it on my face a little, the squirt a little more on the brush, and the repeat the procedure, it stays under control. After four or five applications, the brush is nicely full of shaving cream and you do not have to apply any more. I am getting excellent shaves this way.

I am happy to now have a way to deal with shaving soap emergencies, since the local stores no longer stock shaving soap.

Lynn

P.S. Williams Shaving Soap now costs more per ounce than silver. I wonder if it is a good investment.

L

DonR

One of the Regulars
Here is my setup. I used to use straight razors but have switched to a Rockwell. The brush is a high quality german made bager. The soap container is a Mama Bear, but I usually use Mitchell's Wool Fat.

20231111_173408.jpg

The Wilkinson cartridge straightrazor is still okay to me. Not optimum, but okay.

I can shave at least without much injuries and with more or less sufficient result.
But it's def. not a competitor to my Merkur 15c!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk