Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
there not much better than a DE shave....Gillette can talk about having 4 or 5 blades...but what is amusing, what if someone uses the single blade on the backside and discovers that he gets a great shave with only one blade...

At the price of cartridges a person can have a greater variety of shaving gear to enjoy....

mark the shoeshine boy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
shoeshineboy said:
At the price of cartridges a person can have a greater variety of shaving gear to enjoy....

mark the shoeshine boy

About .08 cents per week of shaving vs. $2-3 for a cartridge. And my face is always ready for a smooch!

;)

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
MB5 said:
I have used a Merkur Classic with Williams shaving soap and a Burma Shave brush for around three years now. I picked up some Neutrogena Shave Cream for travel, but it does not work nearly as well.

I am going to have to try that melting trick so I can carry a small amount of soap with me when I travel Willi_Goat. I will just have to pick up a travel brush or make a tube for mine.

One of the nice things about the melted soap is you can put the top right back on it after use and head out.

I was playing war games last week and shaved the morning we headed home, along with every other morning, was able to throw everything in the bag and get on an aircraft with no worries. Of course shaving in this manner gets me some weird looks, but my skin is the clearest it has been in years.

Make sure you watch the soap when you melt it. I put it in the microwave and it was ready to go in less than 30 seconds

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
for travel, you might try a QED shave stick....it is a glycerin base soap and it very good stuff.

check out this thread for the link to qedusa. The website is horrible to navigate through, however, just write to Charles.

When it comes to service, I compare him to Art Fawcett !!!

Mark the shoeshine boy

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
shaving soap technique

I've read through most of these posts, and not seen this idea. I use a Mekur double edged safety razor with a badger brush and shaving soap from Taylors. I pre-soak the brush before I shave, but the water in the shaving mug was always cold by the time I got around to lathering up. So I started using boiling hot water from the stove. Okay, the microwave. The really hot water melts the shaving soap in a flash, and makes my fairly heavy beard very soft.

As a side note, I used the various Gilletes (Sensor, Mach3, Fusion) for years. When I was on my honeymoon in London, I picked up a badger brush and shaving soap at Taylors. It made a little difference, but when I combined it with a double-edged safety razor, it made a world of difference.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Recently a major innovation was made by two Canadians.... The Moss Scuttle ...

If you were to go to www.shavemyface.com and search the above words, you will find a solution to your cold lather problem.

Dr Moss, one of the administrators of the forum got together with a potter friend of his and made a scuttle for creams (even though i use it for soaps, too) there are actually two bowls in one...the outer bowl you fill with hot water and the inner bowl is where you whip your cream/soap...by keeping the brush in the top bowl the lather and soap stays nice and warm...

What you are doing by microwaving is also a very effective.

I love this forum, but if you need more ideas or assistance in making your shaving routine fun, instead of a drudgery...check in at www.badgerandblade.com ,,,i will be there to help you.

Best Regards,

Mark the shoeshine boy

art92101

One of the Regulars
I like the Merkur DE and farmer's market soap

I have a few DE Merkurs, even a Futura. But the one I like best is the long handle with no "rake" on the blade cover. It feels good in the hand and seems to have more control. I think it gets in closer and allows me to trim the beard with the best aim. I use a badger brush and have tried a number of soaps. One of the best is a sample soap from the farmers market. Some organic homemade number, it was a super fatty soap with wheat germ oil. Anyway it was free and the little sample they gave me is lasting me a LOONG time.
I get a great shave, perhaps not as close as a triple or quadruple blade but at $.50 a blade and a week's worth of shaves I figure I help my pocket book and the environment. I like the Merkur blades best.
Lastly, I found a very nice travel Merkur DE razor in a cool silver metal box that I always leave in my travel kit. For 10 bucks I can travel with an old school razor ready for a great shave.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
This is a great thread. I spent the usual arm and leg for new Mach 3 blades the other day, and on the first shave it started feeling like my beard had turned to stainless steel or something.

I gotta look into getting a DE razor (the idea of a straight razor still scares me), a brush, and some good shaving soap.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
This is a great thread. I spent the usual arm and leg for new Mach 3 blades the other day, and on the first shave it started feeling like my beard had turned to stainless steel or something.

I gotta look into getting a DE razor (the idea of a straight razor still scares me), a brush, and some good shaving soap.

if you need any help in getting any of these items, don't hesitate to call on me...

mark the shoeshine boy

Mr. Moustache

New in Town
One of these days

I keep telling myself I need to get a straight edge razor one of these days. Usualy it's right after I buy another set of disposable blades. Any suggestions on a vendor that won't strike fear into my miserly heart?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
shoeshineboy said:
if you need any help in getting any of these items, don't hesitate to call on me...

mark the shoeshine boy

Thanks. I picked up a brush, cream, and aftershave, all Proraso brand, at Target. They've improved my shaving experience even with the Mach 3. Still haven't gotten a DE razor yet--I've been bidding low on some vintage ones on Ebay, but haven't won any yet.

Ever been nicked by a razor?

I have used a straight razor a whole bunch of times and will again when I can use the hones properly to sharpen them. I would nick myself every second or third shave, never badly and it was either from: not paying attention or rushing. So using a straight has a little more zen like qualities to it. Shaving must be deliberate, never make a move unless you are watching what you do.

Even then after using the straights for a long while I have a Merkur Double Edge which is fabulous but I nicked the heck out of my self the first few times because I did not watch the corners of the blade. So if it is a razor it is gonna cut you sometime. In Yahoo the 2 big Straight sites in the groups, you hardly ever hear of anyone getting badly cut other than dropping the razor.

Unless you are using an electric you probably will get a nick or two, unless you scar easily it should not be a problem, use the stypic pencil and know you are really alive!

If it bleeds we can kill it! Predator 1

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
Thanks. I picked up a brush, cream, and aftershave, all Proraso brand, at Target. They've improved my shaving experience even with the Mach 3. Still haven't gotten a DE razor yet--I've been bidding low on some vintage ones on Ebay, but haven't won any yet.

Proraso is one of my favorites....for just about 6 or 7 bucks it is really a great shaving soap...you can enhance by using noxema or the walmart equivelant as a pre-shave balm. It will make you lather even slicker !!!

For a double edge, i would try the local antique mall...some times you can find them in a bin for 5 or 10 bucks...

I am a moderator over at www.badgerandblade.com come over some time and search "super speed" you will get a picture of what one looks like...i picked one up for just 2 bucks....

I like adjustables too...but i find a setting and just leave it there...

ask sharpetoys about how he likes mamma bear soaps....they are wonderful....

best regards,

mark the shoeshineboy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari