Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Timeras

New in Town
Shave Secret...

Hi Guys... lotsa great info out here... but in going over the thread, i've only seen a shave oil mentioned once, and that was about a homemade recipe or somesuch...

I've been using this stuff for more than a few years now, and swear by it:

http://www.shavesecret.com/

It's a shave oil that uses clove oil, magic, etc. to give me the best shave i've ever had. I use the Mach 3 or Fusion (I think I'm going back to the Mach 3 tho- I seem to have better control with the smaller razor face) and 5 or 6 drops of Shave Secret and get a great shave. And the best part- I can actually see the face i'm shaving. The oil is transparent, so I can see exactly where my razor is going. My face is really sensitive, and would get razor burn something terrible using a commercial shaving cream, but since using this stuff, no problems whatsoever.

Not to mention that the wife really digs the spicy, clove-y smell that stays with you afterwards.

I found it initially at Wal-mart, but usually have a hard time getting it there anymore. Buy the 4-pack ($5 a bottle) and that will last me a couple of years, shaving 2-3 times a week (i'm into the scruffy look somewhat).

Just my 2-cents worth... but worth noting, I think;)

J.A. Daub

New in Town
Straight's the way

I use a Dovo Bergischer Lowe straight with Trufitt & Hill West Indian Limes cream and follow up with an alum block and rose water. If I'm in a hurry I use the T&H preshave oil. I've been using this thing for about two months now and I will never ever go back to one of those cartridge using, ahem... things. The shave is much better, more comfortable with no razor burn and the wife thinks it looks sexy, what more could you want?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I use a vintage safety razor, again, to shave. I got tired of throwing away disposables. When I used a straight razor I realised why so may men had mustaches and Van Dykes in the late 1800s.:eek:
The problem I had was finding double-edged blades. My Safeway had none, someone mentioned Bed, Bath and Beyond and none found there. i thought I would have to switch to my Gem single blade safety razor. I went to G&G Supermarket today and found blades. Now I won't look like Bogart from the beginning of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (or Gary Cooper from the beginning of "Meet John Doe" or even Bill Powell from the beginning of "My Man Godfrey".) ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

panamag8or

Practically Family
The Wolf said:
I use a vintage safety razor, again, to shave. I got tired of throwing away disposables. When I used a straight razor I realised why so may men had mustaches and Van Dykes in the late 1800s.:eek:
The problem I had was finding double-edged blades. My Safeway had none, someone mentioned Bed, Bath and Beyond and none found there. i thought I would have to switch to my Gem single blade safety razor. I went to G&G Supermarket today and found blades. Now I won't look like Bogart from the beginning of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (or Gary Cooper from the beginning of "Meet John Doe" or even Bill Powell from the beginning of "My Man Godfrey".) ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Supermarket and drugstore DE blades are bad news... very poorly made. Follow Scotrace's advice and look online. If you are a member of badger&blade, you can get a blade sampler, and see what works best for you. I prefer the Swedish Gillette blades, myself.

I have actually been using a disposable power razor from Old Spice for the last week or so, and I can get a BBS shave with 2 passes and some touch-up. Of course, proper face prep and a good brush and cream are essential. I'll never totally give up on my vintage DE razors, but I am impressed with the shave I get from the cheapie disposable.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
The day before yesterday, I used Giuseppe:

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
I've been considering purchasing a straight edge razor. I've been reading that they shave very close and once you try one you'll never go back. That being said, it's quite an investment to purchase everything needed, $200 or more!

My question to you is, is there a big difference between a straight edge razor and a single blade safety razor?

GWD said:
My question to you is, is there a big difference between a straight edge razor and a single blade safety razor?
For some like my self the closeness is nearly the same but the control and the sensation of shaving is very different with a straight. If you have the right angle of hold and the razor is truly shave sharp there is a different sensation as the razor glides along, it even sounds different.

If you get a straight and can maintain the sharpness yourself, there is a good chance you will be able to pass the whole kit and kaboodle along in your will.

GWD

One Too Many
Thanks John, I made an appointment for a shave next week just to see for myself what the straight razor experience is like.

freebird

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
For some like my self the closeness is nearly the same but the control and the sensation of shaving is very different with a straight. If you have the right angle of hold and the razor is truly shave sharp there is a different sensation as the razor glides along, it even sounds different.

If you get a straight and can maintain the sharpness yourself, there is a good chance you will be able to pass the whole kit and kaboodle along in your will.

+1 ATM I have 4 straights in rotation, and should be adding a couple more from my restoration pile within the next couple of months. A good razor will last you a lifetime, barring any accidental meetings with the water faucet, or being dropped. Your kit can grow to include several brushes before you find just the right one. Then there is the question of shaving mug or scuttle, soap or creme, which fragarance etc. I finally tried mixing a superlather this morning and it could be quite addicting. :eek:

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
I started shaving with a DE a few weeks ago and made the mistake of getting the generic blades from Walgreens. I stumbled across a small knife shop that happened to sell SE and DE razors. Picked up a package of Merkur blades and now I just need to work on that angle. I have the hardest time with right under the jawline. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What works for me under the jawline (hard to describe I think), is to do a second pass, tucking my chin tight to my chest, then swipe from ear to chin along the jawline which would now be kind of sticking out where you can reach it better.

MD11

Familiar Face
I posted these pics in a thread I started, but this is probably a better place.. here is how I shave when I'm not in a hurry to get to work or some other engagement.. Its taken a few weeks, but I'm not able to shave closer and with less irritation than with a 5 blade mega razor!

304924103.jpg

304924108.jpg

307413304.jpg

pgoat

One Too Many
Ecuador Jim said:
I've been taking my Merkur Barber Pole DE traveling since August with no issues.

We're flying later this month and I was thinking of taking one of my old Gillette Safety razors (sans blade) and just buying a 5 pack of razors once I am away, and leaving any unused blades there.

The only thing is we never check bags - do you all think they'll let me bring it on the plane in my carry on as long as there are no blades on me? I would be heartbroken leaving one of these at the checkpoint. But I am sick of getting that nasty raw faced shave from disposables when traveling since 9-11, and having to pay for a 10 pack for the privilege (and then leaving most of them behind:rage: ).

omedon

New in Town
My Gear

I am always traveling (this pic is from a hotel). So I go with lightweight, and portable. The badger brush disassembles and fits into it's handle. My blades are wayyy cheaper than Gillette. 10 blades for $4 with two sides to each blade :). Also the razor is easy to clean so I don't get any rashes, infections, or pimples on my face from the dead skin/hairs like on a multiblade.

2463844128_4f0b9a359b_b.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nice setup, MD11. You have your own boy bathroom?

Omedon, welcome to The Fedora Lounge! I'm very curious about that brush and where to find it.

On Zohar's strong advice, I've just ordered ten feather blades from Classicshaving.com. The Derby's I've FINALLY run low on were very hit-miss. Some excellent, most had a lot of pull and tug, some had to be tossed after two strokes. They seemed to have a tiny flaw on an edge that opened a cut right away.

Rider

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
On Zohar's strong advice, I've just ordered ten feather blades from Classicshaving.com.

Good luck with those Feathers. Lots of folks are dissatisfied with them. I can't use them and leave my face intact at the same time. Let us know how they work out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy