Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was doing some reasearch this evening on this site & if my calculations are correct, my new to me Old Spice mug was made in the early fifties based upon the "O" in Old Spice, the use of the ship Friendship, & the fact that the inside has six ribs to hold a cake.

Also, I just finished polishing the DE razor that can be seen in the previousl pic that I posted & I discovered that it was made by Gillette because I found a small diamond Logo on part of it.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Once I've got the hang of it, I hope to use this to shave...

razor3.jpg

Best of luck Shangas, it takes a little bit of a learning curve but you can do it. There are a number of tutorials on line that you can read first.

One thing I will tell you is that every move is deliberate, and no two moves at the same time. So when the razor is moving on your face you don't move your head. If you move your head don't have the razor on your face.

Second is be aware of both ends of the razor, if you are concentrating on the middle of the razor you can get a nick from either end by being un-aware.

Third is there is no rushing when you use the razor.

Fourth when you start off and you get to a challenging area like below the nose or on the chin- slowly and carefully shave with a regular razor and watch how the blade(s) move in that area. You can usually safely mimic the angle and direction of the ordinary razor with the straight.

Lastly, a straight razor that is not shave sharp will lead to problems and discomfort always shave with it properly sharp.

There is a group called something like Straight Razor Place with forums and a lot of thread sections to ask questions. Also the head guy and others have posted videos on you-tube to watch that can help a bunch.

Best wishes for minimal used of the stiptic penciL!;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've actually already sharpened it, stropped it (on an old belt) and had a shave with it.

It does the job pretty well. I had one bit of razor-burn, but no actual cutting or slicing up. And it does actually shave everything right off! I was quite surprised at how well it worked!...I've never sharpened a razor before! lol

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I highly recommend the aforementioned site:

http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/

Sharpening a straight razor is nothing like sharpening a knife. The stones start at 1K grit and go up to 16k and the technique is different. Read all the wikis on the site and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are many informed and experienced people there willing to help.

Once you've shaved with a straight, you will never go back to anything else. Baby butt smooth shaves are the norm.

flylot74 said:
I highly recommend the aforementioned site:

http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/

Sharpening a straight razor is nothing like sharpening a knife. The stones start at 1K grit and go up to 16k and the technique is different. Read all the wikis on the site and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are many informed and experienced people there willing to help. Once you've shaved with a straight, you will never go back to anything else. Baby butt smooth shaves are the norm.

They also give a lot of info on stropping. A common mistake is to roll the blade on the sharp end instead of the spine which can dull the edge.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
straightrazorkit.jpg

This photograph marks my third, and thusfar, most comfortable and best-quality straight-razor shave to date. It was a three-pass shave and it really got nearly everything off with hardly any razor-burn. There was a small patch where I got a bit too eager, but it was easily patched and I can confidently say I'm getting better at using a straight to shave with.

It's quite fun and thrilling to see the physical evidence of a good sharp blade at work...all those little stubbly bits collecting on the blade...

Feraud

Bartender
First shave with this Gem Micromatic. The case is bakelite and has two containers marked for new and used blades. It's an aggressive razor and gives a close shave! Patience is a virtue when using this one. Take your time..
DSC08624.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A week later and I'm still alive. And I am loving straight-razor shaving! There's a lot of fun to be had shaving this way. I don't know why, but it's very satisfying.

Feraud said:
First shave with this Gem Micromatic. The case is bakelite and has two containers marked for new and used blades. It's an aggressive razor and gives a close shave! Patience is a virtue when using this one. Take your time..
DSC08624.jpg

If you get any irritation you can try preshave oil or cremes for extra lubrication and protection. You can also try putting a little shave balm on as a preshave.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Shangas said:
A week later and I'm still alive. And I am loving straight-razor shaving! There's a lot of fun to be had shaving this way. I don't know why, but it's very satisfying.

You really ought to get that blade properly honed on proper sharpening stones, and get a horsehide strop.

By the time your blade is done on the last stone, you will be able to drop a hair on it and it will fall in half. I promise you, your blade is nowhere near as sharp as it could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-ayPofWpY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda