Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Big_e

Practically Family
Is anyone else annoyed that Old Spice cologne & aftershave now comes in plastic bottles instead of glass or ceramic? I picked a new bottle of cologne this afternoon & I need to find a really small funnel to put it into the older glass bottle that I have. Any thoughts?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

No I kinda like the plastic bottle. Then again I like my Clubman Pinuad better and the Old Spice is in the back of the cabinet for when I run out. It's almost gonna be a year that I use the Clubman so I don't know when I'll get to the Old Spice!
Ernest

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Charlie,
I'll have to agree with you with the aesthetics on the glass bottle, but sadly I dropped a glass bottle of Aramis Havana after shave (sadly discontinued) onto my unforgiving 1951 tiled bathroom floor some time ago....
Those plastic Pinaud bottles aren't sooo awful looking after that experience, I can tell ya....

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Is anyone else annoyed that Old Spice cologne & aftershave now comes in plastic bottles instead of glass or ceramic? I picked a new bottle of cologne this afternoon & I need to find a really small funnel to put it into the older glass bottle that I have. Any thoughts?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Try the "scientific" section of a real hobby shop. They may have a small funnel for those little lab kits.
Tom D.

James007

Familiar Face
I use to get razor bumps until i switched to my Gillette fat boy! I also use a 1939 Gillette Military issued razor.
The cost is about .99 cents each blade which last about four Shaves.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Wednesday, or John Gets Back On The Straight & Narrow:

Coffee: Starbucks Italian Roast, Black

Pre: The Shave Den Iced SubZero preshave balm
Brush: Shea Moisture badger
Cream: Brian Solomon Cherry Almond
Razor: EE Mos 100 5/8

It has been a month or so since I picked up a straight. A shame really. Gave the EE Mos 100 or so laps on my RupRazor strop and we for it. A good solid shave, but a few rough spots. I'm committing to using a straight for every shave until the end of the year. I think that will be the best way to get a knack for the technique.

It's always nice when I get up early enough to make coffee before I shave.

fiddletown

New in Town
Supplementing post 983, I recently treated myself to a new Plisson brush. Had one for years, and now I have one again. It'll probably be the brush I use for the rest of my life.

Used up the Taylor's soap I had on hand and have been using Art of Shaving sandalwood. It also lathers well, but I think I prefer Taylor's -- I have more on order.

ph33nyx

New in Town
This was my morning shave:
  • Razor - Birko 6/8 full hollow
  • Brush - Rooney 1/1
  • Soap - Palmolive
  • Other - Alum bar & witch hazel
  • EdP - Creed Royal Water

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Yesterday, I gave my brother a straight razor shave. It went pretty well. Two WTG passes and some touch ups. He loved it. He said it was super relaxing. It was a lot of fun for me to see close up how someone elses hair grows. Plus it gave me another chance to shave in the same day.

I tried to do the whole "barber experience" as best I could. Preshave balm, hot towel, build lather, refresh hot towel, lather, shave, wipe with hot towel, apply cold towel, witch hazel, and finally aftershave.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Now that's the way to get people into straight shaving! Did he shave with a straight before or is this his first experience? If it is his first, is he a convert now?

Good for you!

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Now that's the way to get people into straight shaving! Did he shave with a straight before or is this his first experience? If it is his first, is he a convert now?

Good for you!
He had never had a straight shave before and, while he has no plans to take it up himself, we made plans to do it again next week. It may possibly become a regular thing. This is exciting for a couple of reasons. I like to shave and I like to hang out with my brother.

morgan

New in Town
Yesterday I got a chance to use a sample kit from Art of Shaving. It was one of the best shaves I've ever had, no burn or bumps after the shave. I went online to see about asking for the 3 products for X-mas. WOW... That stuff is expensive for my tastes. Has anyone used the AoS stuff and then used something else that was comparable? and cheaper.

Morgan

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yesterday I got a chance to use a sample kit from Art of Shaving. It was one of the best shaves I've ever had, no burn or bumps after the shave. I went online to see about asking for the 3 products for X-mas. WOW... That stuff is expensive for my tastes. Has anyone used the AoS stuff and then used something else that was comparable? and cheaper.Morgan

I bought one of their lower end badger hair brushes when i was in Chicago last month. It doesn't lather any better that the drug store brush that I had. However, it is not losing hairs left & right either. I would recommend asking for a gift certificate/card for art of shaving instead of the products. That is what I did this year. If you don't get any of them for Christmas, just buy them one at a time to lessen the pain inflicted on you wallet.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Michaelshane

One Too Many
The AOS stuff is worth the money.....

P1050506_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

W_B_K

New in Town
Fatboy... my favorite DE! Sold mine off a little while back as I found myself just using straights; couldn't let such a fine razor just sit on a shelf!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Yesterday I got a chance to use a sample kit from Art of Shaving. It was one of the best shaves I've ever had, no burn or bumps after the shave. I went online to see about asking for the 3 products for X-mas. WOW... That stuff is expensive for my tastes. Has anyone used the AoS stuff and then used something else that was comparable? and cheaper.

Morgan

Taylor of Old Bond Street is one of my go-to shave creams. It's typically about $13-$14 a tub, and is available in 5-6 scents at least. GREAT creams IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112