Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
RAD.....?
P1050956_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]
P1050767_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]
P1050284_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]
P1050260_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

You got it bad! Fun though isn't it?

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
Please pardon the lady interruption, but thank you all, gentlemen! My husband had complained about shaving problems, so, after reading this thread, I suggested he try a safety razor. He agreed! For Christmas he's getting soap, a badger brush, and a Merkur razor. Again, thanks for all the useful info.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
Please pardon the lady interruption, but thank you all, gentlemen! My husband had complained about shaving problems, so, after reading this thread, I suggested he try a safety razor. He agreed! For Christmas he's getting soap, a badger brush, and a Merkur razor. Again, thanks for all the useful info.

Just make sure he has some good blades. Many do not like the Merkur blades and prefer Feathers, Super Iridium or Gillette Yellow or something else. There are lots of places to get blade samplers if he is so inclined.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many

Be sure to check out some of the reliable vendors from Badger & Blade. westcoastshaving.com, Bullgooseshaving.net, emsplace.com , and probably others that I am forgetting...

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i tried wet shaving. i enjoyed the ritual and close shave, but could not avoid "weeping turkey neck" due to the fact that my neck grows in about six different directions. even mapping it didn't help all that much. went back to an electric, but still use witchhazel and Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
Just make sure he has some good blades. Many do not like the Merkur blades and prefer Feathers, Super Iridium or Gillette Yellow or something else. There are lots of places to get blade samplers if he is so inclined.

Thank you-- I'll write those down just in case.

ETA: and thanks, rmrdaddy-- I'll bookmark those for him to look at.

Last edited:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I have used Merkur and the ones from the local CVS/drugstore and I have noticed no difference at all.

Morgan

Precisely, the difference is at best slight. I didn't understand until I stepped up to Derbys. Merkur, Wilkinson Sword and the generic drug store brands all seemed to give an adequate shave but when compared to Feather, Derby and others available in sampler packs the difference is astounding. When purchased in bulk from evil bay the Derby can run as little as 12 cents a blade. Combined with quality shaving products I've seen my razor burn pretty much disappear.
Tom D.

of course not shaving in the winter has made the burn disappear entirely.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I use straight razor and brush when I wanted to get a REALLY close shave when being on set, or attending airshows, but I use regular Schick every day, because it's quicker for me.

BanjoStrings

New in Town
I'm looking to move up to a more legitimate razor. Iv been using bic disposables for a while, and while they work, id like to get something that i can get a smoother shave with, since im about to be 17 and starting to grow actual facial hair :D any suggestions from you fellas?

Besides the bics, i use Gillette foam which i really like and I just shave in front of the mirror before i shower, so no aftershave. That is unless I'm about to go out to some fancy event or out with my girlfriend, in which case ill use a drakkar aftershave which i don't. But I'm about to begin using a different one. Merry Christmas everyone!

Big Fella

Familiar Face
Christmas morning, one of the most enjoyable shaves of the year. I use a brush my Mother gave me many years ago. I've used it for so long that I had to send it back to Bernnarde at Shavemic to be reknotted. The razor is a brass Gillette that belonged to the Father of a friend. It will be charged with a Feather blade. I will be using Mama Bear's Christmas Rose shaving soap, and will top it off with Mama Bear's Chypre Rose Cologne Splash. AWWWW a most enjoyable way to start off this wonderful day. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Welcome aboard BanjoStrings!
You will see that many of us are traditional Wet Shavers, using lots of hydration, creams or soaps, badger or boar brushes, and either classic straight or Double Edge Razors with which to shave. As a relative newcomer to shaving, you are in a position to switch to a classic way of shaving, that while perhaps more time intensive, can provide you with a closer, less irritating shave. I'd highly recommend www.badgerandblade.com a superlative wetshaving online forum and general wellspring of things pertaining to shaving.
I'd like to think I speak for the crowd, when I encourage you to ask questions here as well. We love to corrupt, I mean ENCOURAGE, another gent looking to improve his appearance.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy