Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

mdove

Familiar Face
Used various Gillette cartridges for years and am now getting back into the DE world. I am currently using a mid-60's Gillette adjustable. I just purchased a -65 de and have a -47 de on order. These old razors are things of beauty, not a hunk of plastic. You have to be careful, get one and pretty soon you want more. Also using a silvertip badger brush and an Old Spice shave mug with some ral Old Spice shave soap. This can get to be addicting.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
a46c7190.jpg

H.Herdick

Familiar Face
I shave most of the time with a straight razor, sometime DE or SE.

This was the razor, I used today; a rare Filarmonica INOX. A bit agressiv, not for newbies, but a really good shaver.

9937136bpv.jpg

9937134dtj.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Lately I've been using this Heljestrand SE - shaves every bit as close as my Ever Ready lather catcher or my Gem Junior Bar and is a tad more comfortable. It's a much heavier razor and the balance and weight contribute a lot to the shave quality.

6868375874_4f50a484b8.jpg

7014484647_f72f7fc2de.jpg

7014484811_86f0f89385.jpg

6868376492_49468e80df.jpg

On days when I use a DE, I have to use this Heljestrand or a GEM SE to touch up the trouble spots that the DEs don't seem to reach ( and I use either a fatboy on 9 or a Merkur slant on DE days).

Trying to get into straight razor shaving but I can't seem to master the knack, especially around my adam's apple.

camjr

Familiar Face
Edwin Jagger DE89l double edge razor and usually Gillette Blue 7 o'clock Russian blades or Astra SP (Russian as well). Feather's don't last long enough for my taste...

H.Herdick

Familiar Face
Very nice H.H.. Which DE blade do you prefer.
Tom D.

Hi Tom,

The Voskhod is a very good DE blade, but also the Personna from Israel, the Lord, Rapira and the Souplex. For me, the Feather from Japan is to sharp and not necessary.

Straight razors: Wade & Butcher, Thiers Issard, Friodur by Henckels, but I own also some really good Chinese straight razors, compareble with the 'Le Grelot'.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
I rotate between a '41 Gillette Ranger Tech, '53 SuperSpeed, '57 SS Red-Tip and a '59 FatBoy. I have several badger and boar brushes I also rotate. My favorite being a Savile Row 204 Badger. I like Proraso Shave Cream.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
How do you know the dates? I have two old Gillettes, one of which was my grandfather's, and I'd love to know for sure when they were made.

-Dave

Dave, go to www.gillettedatecodes.com and that site has everything you need to date your razor. Under the razor you will see a letter on one side and a number opposite. The letters and numbers tell you what year and what quarter of that year the razor was produced.

Danny

Chaps

One of the Regulars
You are very welcome. You might want to check out ShaveMyFace.com. It is a wet-shaving forum I belong to and I am sure they can help you with your GEM. I have a '20s GEM but I have never used it.

Danny

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
6900518124_60f76ae0f7_z.jpg

I use:

A 1959 red-tip Gillette Super Speed. (Help: brassing. Can anybody recommend someone in the Philly area for nickel replating, or will any jeweler help?) Getting a chrome-plated Weishi copy of a '60s Gillette as a spare.

A brush. Vintage. My guess is horsehair. Does the job.

Seaforth Scotch Heather mug with shaving instructions on it.

Astra platinum-plated blades from Russia.

For now, The Art of Shaving cream. Amazing.

rayban

New in Town
Shaving utensils

During the week: Merkur safety razor with Feather blades. During the weekend: Thiers - Issard open razors.

A badger hair brush, a porcelain mug and Valobra shaving soap (almond/menthol). For open razor shaving: Musgo Real and Karo (form Bulgaria) shaving cream.

Aftershave: Proraso cream or (if I am not going to wear a cologne) original Swiss Pitralon.

rayban

New in Town
Michaelshane can I ask: where did you find that bottle of Yardley Black Label?

I used Yardley Original for years (also their shaving stick) but Yardley has (so it seems) dissapeared from the earth.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot