Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Thanks, DeaconKC!

The good news for this perfectionist is my new Weishi, a cheap ($12-14 US) Chinese copy of a '60s Gillette TTO, looks like a million bucks with perfect chrome plating (again over brass) and, now that I've upgraded to a vintage badger brush I use dry to whip the cream in the mug, gives the best shaves I've had outside a barbershop. Don't let the low price or the funny bad English on the cardboard packaging scare you. It's a fine razor.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Funny that the Chinese make some pretty decent copies of vintage Americana (thinking fountain pens and razors). Is there a market for retro over there? Or is it purely for export?

I have no idea but they do make some good things. My fake-tortoiseshell browline sunglasses are from there: eight bucks. (My eyesight's just good enough that non-prescription's OK for wearing them walking.) Right look and well-made. Beats paying around $125 for Clubmasters.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If my experience of Chinese history, culture and customs is anything to go by, I don't think there's a big retro community there. At least, not amongst the native inhabitants. In my experience, native-born Chinese have a phobia of old things (particularly, things that have been passed down, generation to generation), so...Yeah sorry, I forgot where I was going with this...

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
China

If my experience of Chinese history, culture and customs is anything to go by, I don't think there's a big retro community there. At least, not amongst the native inhabitants. In my experience, native-born Chinese have a phobia of old things (particularly, things that have been passed down, generation to generation), so...Yeah sorry, I forgot where I was going with this...

Thanks. Obviously China is not like Japan! I understand the Japanese love our culture.

armorrich

New in Town
Greetings everyone. Anyone care to share an opinion on Williams shaving soap??? I've been using it for a while and it seems to work ok for me but i'll admit, i'd like to try something different. I just ordered a tub of Poraso green tea and aloe shave cream......will i notice a difference???? Thanks...best, rich

Michaelshane

One Too Many
P1050956_edited-1.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Greetings everyone. Anyone care to share an opinion on Williams shaving soap??? I've been using it for a while and it seems to work ok for me but i'll admit, i'd like to try something different. I just ordered a tub of Poraso green tea and aloe shave cream......will i notice a difference???? Thanks...best, rich

I like a puck from time to time and the Williams is tried and true. There are better but certain scents just take me back. Oh boy will you notice a difference. As good or bad as a shave cream may be they all need proper prep.
Tom D.

armorrich

New in Town
Thanks for your opinions regarding the Williams shaving soap. I chose the green tea and aloe poraso soap. It hasn't gotten here yet but i'm really looking forward to it. I also picked up some Astra blades.
I'm currently using Wilkinson blades in a minty Star brand gold head razor with a black plastic threaded handle. I'm not liking the Wilkinson blades, they just seem dull to me. I think the Astra's combined with the poraso might be the ticket. St Ignatz...clue me in to "proper prep". Thanks again for the comments.....best, rich

Last edited:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
After my morning shower I lather up and with my hand work the lather till my stubble softens a bit. Rinse and apply a small amount of Musgo Real or other quality aftershave balm then lather up really working with the brush. Taking the time to lather also exfoliates while it softens. Take your time with your razor to give the blade time to do it's job. Re-lather for your next pass. I like the balm more than pre shave oils because the oils for me are a little too viscose. Rinse you razor between passes to prevent clogging. Works for me. I recently purchased scuttle so I get a hot lather shave. Worth every penny from Robert Becker.
Tom D.

armorrich

New in Town
Thanks Tom for that great description. I think you're right, I need to slow down the process a bit. I'm used to the new triple blade razors which do a lot more with one swipe. I admit i'm enjoying the process though. Sooner or later i'll hit the right combination and things will go smoothly...if you'll pardon the pun!! I appreciate your assistance.....have a great day...best, rich

DesertDan

One Too Many
It is only recently that I began using the DE razor and quality shave soap. Before that I was using Pears glycerin soap with a brush and the ubiquitous disposable razor, even that made a noticable improvement to quality of my daily shave. Since going to the DE I have never been happier. I am still experimenting with different blades but the Persona Blue are working pretty well so far.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Tried out my Etsy-bought 1965 Gilette double-edge adjustable today, paired up with some shaving cream by the Sonoma Soap Co.

Wow! I knew I'd love a real razor, but I expected a learning curve, roughed-up skin, a little blood, etc. Not the case at all! Derby blades from an Amazon seller. Easy and fast and perfect.

I'm a happy and smooth camper.

:)

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Derby blades are my favorite. Very rarely do you get a bad one. I love my old Gillettes and have discovered that prep is the most important part of the shave. Proraso, Crabtree & Evelyn and Van der Hagen soaps have all served me well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot