Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I have a few vintage safety razors and vintage and modern badger brushes. However, over the summer I was given my Great Grandfather's eveready shaving brush and his safety razor so I am currently using those as my everyday shaver along with some cheap shaving soap I found at the wal-mart. I have been using it for about two years now and keep planning on breaking down and ordering some top quality stuff, but I never seam to get around to it.

For blades I use wilkinson swords as they are the only thing available locally followed up by Pinaude Clubman or Old Spice after shave lotion.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
If you are using the Van der Hagen soap from Walmart, that is a very good soap. I still use it regularly in my rotation. The Merkur razors are excellent, but their blades are not so hot. If you have a Dollar Store near you, look for the generic blades marked "Made in Israel" those are very good. The Astra blades are great for a starter, as are the Derby Extra blades.

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and came across this topic a few days ago and with out further ado... I plan to pick up a safety razor kit of my own...
Now, I have done a little research and am a bit torn between an Edwin Jagger, or a Merkur HD. I would like to purchase a good razor right off the bat.
I would like to hear what you guys think!
Edwin Jagger is a milder razor than Merkur HD. I personally prefer Merkurs because they do allow a closer shave. You can get a lot more info on Badger and Blade forum.

Jasalvas

New in Town
I personally use an Edwin Jagger, but both are excellent quality, and you'd do well with either.

On a side note, don't forget the brush, and don't go cheap on it either. It makes a difference. As for blades, I use Astra, but there are numerous high-quality blades out there, as well.

Now for the brush, would a best badger brush be fine? I have seen some on eBay starting around $50 up to around $70.

I thought of going to a local shop as well. I think their entry best badger brush is $55.

Yes, I think a best badger brush is a very nice place to start. It's much nicer than boar, but also won't break the bank like a silvertip badger brush would.

I agree. A best badger brush should work just fine.

Also, blades are cheap, so experiment with different ones if you're curious as to which will suit you best.

Last edited:

Jasalvas

New in Town
Ok, so here is what I have so far... All from eBay: Kent BK2 Badger brush, Gillette C4 Tech DE, and Derby blades... Now for soaps or creams... What classic, grandfather scents do you guys recommend?

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Personally I like Proraso, Taylor of Old Bond Street and Art of Shaving creams. There are many available and lots of scents to choose from. If you want to sample some, check out "Garry's Sample Shop" over at badgerandblade.com. He sells sample sizes of creams, soaps, aftershaves, etc...

As for blades, try many different ones. It's truly astonishing how much difference there can be between blades. Grab a sample pack if you can. B&B also has a blade exchange going that makes it easy to try different blades.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Jasalvas,

Once you see if you like wet shaving (I am sure you will) you can start looking at local antique malls and shops for other razors. I have snagged some pretty old ones that are in my rotation for $5.00 or less.

Ok, so here is what I have so far... All from eBay: Kent BK2 Badger brush, Gillette C4 Tech DE, and Derby blades... Now for soaps or creams... What classic, grandfather scents do you guys recommend?

Personally again, I like Taylor of Old Bond Street. They make many different scents, though I prefer less of one. As for aftershave, I also like Pinaud Clubman. That's the classic barber shop smell you remember as a kid, and it's still the best.

Feraud

Bartender
As for aftershave, I also like Pinaud Clubman. That's the classic barber shop smell you remember as a kid, and it's still the best.
We had the stuff in our bathroom when I was a kid. It was cheap but good!

For as often as I try a high end aftershave, we always keep a bottle of Old Spice in the medicine cabinet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21